Any free pdf writers out there?

ugly

LE
Looking for a free pdf writer or at least very cheap as I could use one for my little projects but am a bit of a biff!

Scribus is free and top notch! Not sure if there's a MS version, but if there's an Ubuntu one, there should be!

why: Why OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org said:
OpenOffice.org 3 contains all the office software you need, in one single package ....... for example, the ability to create .pdf files when you want to guarantee what the recipient sees on their computer.

Scribus is free and top notch! Not sure if there's a MS version, but if there's an Ubuntu one, there should be!
Scribus is a desktop publishing program, you loon. Do read what ugly wrote: he asked for a free PDF writer

Pretty sure I've been writing PDFs for work with it too! And it's free. Therefore, it covers the requirements, surely?

Edit: Added a bit.

Pretty sure I've been writing PDFs for work with it too! And it's free. Therefore, it covers the requirements, surely?

Edit: Added a bit.
Nope, all he wants is to be able to produce pdfs from his current applications. Scribus is a desktop publishing program and so won't do that. Plus I would not recommend it to someone who describes themselves as a 'biff'

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I've used doPDF.com which is free and dead easy to use. Download, then go to 'file' on your doc, 'print' and select the PDF option and output it to the destination of your choice in the same way as 'save as'. Piece of cake.

MS Office 2007 allows you to save and publish in PDF Format across all packages.
Does that help??? Or am I being a thicko to Ugly's requirements??

MS Office 2007 allows you to save and publish in PDF Format across all packages.
Does that help??? Or am I being a thicko to Ugly's requirements??
That probably helps easesprings :)

I am guessing most of us here in this thread are still in the Dark Ages with MS Office 2003 ;)

ugly

LE
thanks folks I'll give these a go, already downloaded cute so will make a start next week. Thanks, I'm probably being a bit unkind about my abilities but better to start from scratch!

I have tried a few over the years. I swear by PDF XChange (Lite) v 3 from Tracker Software (their PDF Reader is miles better than Adobe's latest, BTW) - it is small, simple and very, very efficient - beats Cute PDF hands down - I found the graphics in PPT files always went to cock with it - with my favourite, what you see in print preview, is wot U get in the finished file. It also lets you append pages to the beginning/end of PDF files you've already saved

PM me if you want me to send you the install file and key

ugly

LE
Thanks for the offers, be next week before I get started though, too busy stalking at the moment!