Any former/current bandies on here?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bushmills, Jul 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Single again and in attempt to appear "windswept and interesting" I have taken up the cornet after a 30 year break.

It's amazing how much like riding a bike it is, in that one never forgets how to play.

I was never a bandsman and to be honest am pretty tone deaf but find playing a good distraction and a great way to p*ss off the neighbours.

I would appreciate a few tips from any bandsmen on how to increase range as I am having no end of strife on the higher notes (beyond high d).

Any tips appreciated. I stand by for p*ss taking.

2. Try asking Chocolate Frog.

3. I was a Junior Bandsman for two months in 1975*, so I feel qualified to reply to this question.

You'll achieve maximum range if you hold it at 45 degrees (or 800 mils) elevation.

edited to add:

You should bed in at 1100 mils before you start, though.

(* I was also a mortarman)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Blow harder.

5. I would't bother. I've not played in 15 years...

OP what about a couple of re-fresh lessons or pop around to brassband nearby?

6. Good idea.

Would love to get back into brass bands but they are pretty non existant in outback Australia.

Out of interest, why did you stop playing? I wish I could play to a high standard.

I though all bandies make a fortune when they leave, teaching music in schools, doing sessions stuff and playing in clubs or does the UK not go for live music anymore?

All the Aussie Army band blokes get teachers qual's and degrees in music from the Army and make more money on the side, than the generals both while serving and after they leave.

The cars outside the bandies practice rooms at Vic Barracks in Sydney are flasher than those in the Shark's player's car park.

7. These blokes look pretty windswept and interesting....

8. PM Biscuits_AB. He'll help you.

Diddley diddley deee. :party:

9. Just something that got pushed out by other intersts and activites... that and my fellow singlies weren't to chuffed with it (on one memorable occaision one of my flat mates was on the vinegar strokes with a frau and I was belting out Last Post!!! (actually it wasn't, but I can't remember what tunes I was playing, and he only knows the name of one bugle call, and that is how the story has been immortalised!))

Tried a few civvie bands, but could never give them the attention/dedication that was needed.

10. I play a fucking mean triangle. if you need any tips feel free to ask!

11. I'm a bit fucking disappointed nobody has mentioned their tromboning skills yet!

12. Not sure how outback you are there, but ibew.co.uk might help you...

13. At last someone who can really tell us what happens at band camp.

14. Blue veined flute?

15. I'm a trombonist and I don't give a fuck.

To the OP;

Long notes and scales are the way to success.

All scales Major and Minor (including Minor Melodic) will speed up your technique and improve on your understanding of the changes required to construct a reasonable tune. Understanding of scales etc are also the basic stepping stone to jazz if that's what pops your cork.

Long notes increase the stamina on your chops, low ones then mid range ones then high ones.
    Do them with a tightly fitted mute in your cornet to increase back pressure thus exercising your gob muscles harder.
    After a few weeks of doing this for about an hour a day (it does take that long) you should be able to produce a clear pleasant sound without the mute and your range will have improved immeasurably.

Long notes and scales are also hugely fucking boring so patience is required, I used to do mine whilst watching the telly or listening to the radio. Even managed to mop the kitchen one handed whilst doing them on more than one occasion.

It has been the constant bit of advice I have had from top brass players all my life.

Long notes and scales.

• Like Like x 1