Any Ex-FCA out there?

slab

Old-Salt
Happy Days. I was a 3 star in Skibbereen back in 82/83. I remember doing my basic at Ballincollig and range camp at Bere Island. Sunday parades were great with a fat boy lunch afterwards. Uniforms were OK, but weapons a bit shite - we were still using Lee Enfield elephant guns!! I can still remember some gaelic drill commands. I suppose FCA was the springboard for joining the British Army in 84.

Hi
Joined C Compnay 20th Battalion in Griffith in 1966
CO was Dessi Byrne
Was coopeted onto the rifle team when it was discovered that I could shoot.
Lft Eamonn ?
CS Hughie ?
Sgt Jimmie Ward
SS (Pt) Joe Jackson
SS PAddy Fulham (docker from Crumlin)
SS Gerry Stafford (me) My Lee ENfield #4 was serial PF 329567 Nice reliable peice.

God we had fun and we were pretty good

We trained with the C company Bren Team Sgt Tony ? and SS Willie Phealen
and the C Co Gustav Team Lt Lacey, Andy Brown, Noel Weldon, others

We won the all army all weapons award constantly but the rifle team was 2nd but the bren team won and the Gustav team were second to the team lead by maurice keily also from 20th Btn but A or B CO
I worked with MAurice at the ESB

Sorry I am writing this late at night with some wine in.

I still have some of the trophies and the badges and ensignia. I would love to have some of the photos that Wille the bren gunner took. He was an avid photographer.

I woud be delighted to meet for a pint next time in Ireland or if you wash up in Vancouver contact me staffo at shaw dot ca

SpudGunny

War Hero
Air Defence Regiment. 3 Bty.
Sprayed the Irish Sea down with 40mm, 50 cal. and 7.62x51 annually between 1988 and 1994. Good times.

Hi
CO was Dessi Byrne
Lft Eamonn ?
CS Hughie ?
Sgt Jimmie Ward
SS (Pt) Joe Jackson
SS Gerry Stafford (me) My Lee ENfield #4 was serial PF 329567 Nice reliable peice.

We won the all army all weapons award constantly but the rifle team was 2nd but the bren team won and the Gustav team were second to the team lead by maurice keily also from 20th Btn but A or B CO

I still have some of the trophies and the badges and ensignia. I would love to have some of the photos that Wille the bren gunner took. He was an avid photographer.

I woud be delighted to meet for a pint next time in Ireland or if you wash up in Vancouver contact me staffo at shaw dot ca
I was in the 20th batt C company I remember some of the names you said. my name is Derek May jimmy ward was My CS Tony Feeney, Mick Carten, Jimmy Kerns but to name a few, Wally Power was the O/C

Last edited:
Hi
CO was Dessi Byrne
Lft Eamonn ?
CS Hughie ?
Sgt Jimmie Ward
SS (Pt) Joe Jackson

I was in the 20th batt C company I remember some of the names you said. my name is Derek May
Hi
CO was Dessi Byrne
Lft Eamonn ?
CS Hughie ?
Sgt Jimmie Ward
SS (Pt) Joe Jackson

Hi
CO was Dessi Byrne
Lft Eamonn ?
CS Hughie ?
Sgt Jimmie Ward
SS (Pt) Joe Jackson

I was in the 20th batt C company I remember some of the names you said. my name is Derek May jimmy ward was My CS Tony Feeney, Mick Carten, Jimmy Kerns but to name a few, Wally Power was the O/C
Was the Jimmy Kerns you mentioned an ex-Irish Guardsman by any chance?

He was a Drill instructor at IJLB Oswestry in 1972 while I was there, tried to get me to transfer to the Micks! I;d heard that he joined the FCA when he retired and went back to Dublin.
He was known as Jimmy Click in the Micks incidentally, he fancied himself as a bit of an amateur photographer at one time I believe.

He was a Drill instructor at IJLB Oswestry in 1972 while I was there, tried to get me to transfer to the Micks! I;d heard that he joined the FCA when he retired and went back to Dublin.
He was known as Jimmy Click in the Micks incidentally, he fancied himself as a bit of an amateur photographer at one time I believe.
ye I served with him for 14 years, he still turns up at the annual remembrance parade in st Patricks and runs the colour gaurd his daughter died a few years back and his wife sometime after , he is still going strong .

ye I served with him for 14 years, he still turns up at the annual remembrance parade in st Patricks and runs the colour gaurd his daughter died a few years back and his wife sometime after , he is still going strong .
he also had brothers that served

Glad to hear it, he must be some age though, It was almost 50 years ago when I knew him!

Latest Threads