any ex chefs

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by davethedog, Jan 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all, i,m looking for the ingredients and how to make the sauce that went along with the schnitzels i believe it was called jaeger sauce? much appreciated
  2. Or alternatively, go to aldi or lidl and buy some
  3. Wasnt it tomato sauce,m onions and mushrooms. Jaeger meaning "Hunter". Perhaps some gherkins, chopped plain pickle and senf too. White wine. Finish off the browned schnitzel in the sauce, won't you :wink:
  4. Why, is there a fucking jaeger sauce chef in there, or do you want to groom him?
  5. This is NOT an authentic recipe, but definitely a quick and easy alternative.

Knob of butter
    One small shallot, finely diced
    Two or three large mushrooms, sliced
    One clove of garlic
    1/4 pint of white wine
    1/2 pint milk
    Chicken flavoured bisto
    2 tablespoons cream
    Salt and pepper to taste

Soften the shallots in butter for a few minutes, then add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes more. Add the garlic, then the wine. Reduce by half, then add the milk. Bring to the boil, sprinkle in the Bisto granules while whisking continuously (I've omitted the amount as this this a personal thing, but somewhere in the region of 2-3 tablespoons should be fine). Allow to simmer gently for a couple of minutes, then add the cream. Season, then serve.

Instead of just going out and eating this stuff all the time, I spent an unhealthy amount of time in Germany trying to reproduce them at home. I do a nice Zigeuner sauce too, if anyone's interested.

Edited to add; My missus is German and she's happy with it, so it can't be too far from the mark. :)
  6. This is something like the aforementioned Zigeuner sauce, not Jaeger. ('Zigeuner' meaning gypsy)
  7. Just realised - why only EX-chefs?
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Lidls sell that in bottles as well as Kneuble? sauce for Gyros Teller.
  9. Because EX chefs have probably learned something decent since they left. :wink:
    (Only kidding chefs).

Thanks for the Jaeger sauce recipe, and the Zigeuner sauce one would be very welcome. :D
  10. Only too happy to oblige.

knob of butter
    1 x small onion, sliced
    1 x green pepper, sliced
    2-3 mushrooms, sliced
    1 x clove of garlic
    1/4 pint of white wine
    3/4 pint of rather thick leftover gravy (have faith)
    4 x tbsp tom puree
    1/4 tspn muscovado sugar (or any brown sugar)
    S+P to taste

Fry the peppers and onions for five minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook together for about ten more minutes, or until well and truly cooked. (The longer and more controlled the first cooking stage is, the better the end result) De-glaze the pan with the wine, add the tomato puree, simmer and occasionally stir until reduced by half. Add the gravy and bring back to the boil (not too hot though, or the bottom will burn). Season and serve.

For both of these sauces I like to buy a nice thick pork-loin cutlet and smash the fuck out of it until it more than trebles in diameter, or until it's about 3-5mm thick. (Or until I come.) Then coat it in seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Preparing it this way ensures that it cooks all the way through by just shallow-frying it. (The Germans put it in a deep fat fryer 8O )
  11. Awesome, thanks Mike. I will give the zigeuner recipe a try this next few days. If you're at all interested, I'll let you know how I got on. :)