Any decent B&B's near Brecon?

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by angular, Sep 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going walking over the Beacons with a couple of mates soon. Can anyone recommend any good B&B's in the area, that are near to a decent pub and don't mind grubby walkers?
  2. I can recommend the grange if it's still there - was about 30 quid a night i think, although probably gone up by now and we were there for walking so was never a problem with that.

Pubwise you got a few, can't really vouch for any of them one called the monkey tree or something which was pretty good but all of them are a bit small and pokey.
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

There's a pub in Libanus which has just changed hands, called the Tai'r Bull. Apparently the new owner is trying to turn it into a gastropub.

Llanfaes High Street has a huge range of B&B's from the Cherry Pickers to the Bridge (Google will be your friend). Llanfaes High Street is about 3/4 of a mile long includes two pubs (The Drovers and the Three Horseshoes) as I said a load of B&B's and is the direct route into Brecon from the A470 ex Cardiff. B&B Llanfaes - Google Search

Brecon itself has a good range of Hotels (The George, The Castle, The Wellington). The Welly is owned by SA Brains and does deals of (IIRC) £39.00 per night.

Pubs range from the Sarah Siddons, The Rorkes Drift (was the Wheatsheaf), The Boars Head (brewery tap for Brecon Brewery), Bulls Head, The Clarence, Puzzle Tree, The Lounge. There are more.

pubs brecon - Google Search
  4. Ah there you go, puzzle tree, not monkey tree, heh sorry. Close though!
  5. Thanks gents.
  6. I always found that Dering Lines does a good B + B!
  7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I generally sleep in the rugby club car park, but there are quit literally hundreds of tidy B&Bs in the National Park
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

My Brothers spare bed is pretty damm comfortable and the view looks out to That bloody big hill wass it called :) and my sister in law does an excellent breakfast. Hang on I'll just put his address up on here :) he'd like that, and he's got a fridge full of beer.
  10. Sorry but my intention is to big-time it over the mountain with a couple of (perma-civvy) mates; it wouldn't do to be mixing with people who might show me up just a little.
  11. Feedback in case anyone searches for something similar; we ended up in Ty Croeso in Crickhowell. Very nice, excellent breakfast, c. £50 a night. We ate at the Bridge End pub, cracking food and good beer. The walking was dodgy though, fog and cloud over 2000 feet and my mates timberland (!) boots feel apart...Some people just don't listen when you tell them what it's like. He is an Aussie, though, so clearly knew all there was to know before we set off.
  12. Timberland boots on the Beacons! Tropper66 will give your mate such a bollocking. Seriously I hope he's learned his lesson, Timberlands are only for wearing to the pub afterwards. If you happen to be down that way again try this B+B:-

It in the middle of the Black Mountains (to the east of the Beacons) which to my mind offers much better walking (shite Welsh weather not withstanding).
  13. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The "Bridge end" is a great pub, I have camped in the site on the other side of the bridge many times, and your right the food is damned good, in fact the last time I went Para Gluiding it was just up above there on Llangatok mountain, but sadly my local mate who lived there died two years ago, but he was a Bootie