Any cycling nuts on here, I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by Jordo, Mar 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to get fit and I need a new hobby 'cos I'm bored as ****.

Why not cycling?

Been going out on a shitty Hallford's hybrid thing that I've had for a few years but I've decided to get a proper road bike, a pair of gay shorts and get stuck in.

I'm on a budget of about £500. Conveniently my uncle's work mate is selling his Cannondale CAAD 9 for £500. It's used obviously but it's hardly been ridden because of some medical problems he's had so it's in good condition.

This is the bike in question. Apparently it's one of the last hand made frames Cannondale made before they shipped production to the Far East.

My Uncle is into cycling himself and he reckons I should be snapping this blokes hand off, he say's I'll not find anything else comparable for the same price new. The lad who's selling it is pretty much the same size as me so it should fit me, but obviously I'll have to take it for a test ride first.

Just want a second opinion really, am I really getting a good deal buying this CAAD9 for £500, or would I be better getting my own brand new for the same price?

2. I got an entry level road bike with shifters on the handle bars for £220. Its served me pretty well, done a couple of thousand miles so far but it wont last for ever and will probably be pretty heavy in comparison to the cannondale you have on offer. Its all about what you want. You will get what you pay for so if you want a light bike with good quality you will pay more. For entry level look to pay £200 - £300. Avoid down tube shifters!

3. If you are working see if the company do a Ride2Work scheme, basically with tax breaks etc you pay around about 50% of the cost of your new bike plus equipment, I have bought 2 bikes through it. It is an excellent way to get all your kit in one package as well.

Evans Cycles Ride2Work

4. No cycle to work scheme here unfortunately, it's a small company. I'm on my own in that respect.

@ arrrse _onist. Yeah I'm looking to really get into it and make it a regular thing. Biggest motivation is that I need to shed some weight and get fit, and I ******* hate running and going to the gym. So I was of the view that it's better to pay more now and get a bike that's going to last me.

5. I'm on a budget of about £500. Conveniently my uncle's work mate is selling his Cannondale CAAD 9 for £500. It's used obviously but it's hardly been ridden because of some medical problems he's had so it's in good condition.

My Uncle is into cycling himself and he reckons I should be snapping this blokes hand off, he say's I'll not find anything else comparable for the same price new. The lad who's selling it is pretty much the same size as me so it should fit me, but obviously I'll have to take it for a test ride first.

Just want a second opinion really, am I really getting a good deal buying this CAAD9 for £500, or would I be better getting my own brand new for the same price?[/QUOTE]

Right.

Firstly for £500 you get nothing new other than a bag of spanners you will regret two months after buying it. I don't think even Ribble come in for under that. I get asked every summer by non cyclists if this (followed by picture of some Claud Butler / Halfords special / Mail on Sunday / Sports direct piece of junk) is any good. The answer is simply no. If you're going to ride it regularly, and want any fun £500 for a new bike isn't going to get you anything worth talking about. Second hand you may oh may be lucky.

If the bike in question is kosher ie not nicked, it has ultegra on it, and more importantly it fits you buy the thing. It's a complete utter bargain. I could sell that second hand for considerably more. Check out the current price of Ultegra groupsets alone!
    It's aliminium, but for under £1200 you're never getting full carbon anyhow.

• Like Like x 1
  6. @ Nornironman

As far as I'm aware it's Tiagra not Ultegra. May be wrong though, or I may be talking bollocks. I'm off to have a look at it tonight either way so I can check.

It's kosher too, the reason he's getting rid of it is due to some serious medical issues he's had. It's practically new, only done a couple of hundred miles.

My uncle seems to agree with you on the value. He says I'm robbing him at the price he's asking. He seems to think I could buy it, ride it all summer and sell it on for the same price if I didn't want it.

I just hope the bloody thing fits well now.

7. OK Tiagra ain't bad at all.

Groupset alone is about £300 new. If it fits, and the frame is fine it's good deal. Your uncle is right. Just ask him if he has a receipt....

8. Thanks for the advice, I'll get a good look at it tonight and see if it fits right.

9. Have you considered a mountain with a second set of road tyres? Good for the commute and you can smash it about the woods at the weekend. You can probably pick up a Specialized HardRock Pro 2010 for under £500. Brilliant bike.

10. To be an MTB'er you have to learn a whole new vocabulary to rip it up with the rad kids. The cool kids are really roadies, or have graduated to long distance tri ;-) Those bloody heavy MTB's that slug along roads..... nah.... get aero and get on a proper bike!

11. Considered a MTB actually.

As you say it seems like there's more you can do with it. 16 mile commute on a MTB might be a bit knackering though? :p

12. One question: how heavy are you? I ride about 16-17 stone on my commute once you factor in daysack, clothes, shoes etc. and when I first got my road bike I had endless problems with the racing wheels. Thanks to my weight and the poor road surfaces, I had spokes breaking around once a fortnight. I only eventually solved it by selling them on and getting 36 spoke wheels instead.

13. 16.5 stone. Looking to lose about 3.

Biggest motivation behind getting a bike really.

14. Getting on the bike is a great idea, but dont forget the food intake. Try swaping your evening meal for a bowl of cereal, I found Kellogs crunchy nut the best, all the vitamins you need and a lot less calories added to your system at night. I lost 3.5 stone in 4 months that way,(16 st down to 12.5) I was on the multi gym for 45 mins every day aswell.

Good luck with whatever you go with

15. Did the same last year, started off with a boardman hybrid, end of year changed to a Specialized CR3. 3 stone lost in weight and £2000 lost from bank but well worth it.

• Like Like x 1