Any cock ups you'd like to admit to

Staying in the Holiday Inn Dublin Airport 2005. Slipped in my room (no alchohol involved) and landed on glass topped table. Table shattered leaving some shards over a foot long.
Minor cuts and scrapes.
Called reception clearly shocked.
Manager arrives with staff.
Manager offers to make reports e.t.c.

Me
" Don't worry about that just do me a favour. Just make sure there are no other tables like this anywhere in the hotel. "

I think I was lucky and thinking about the incident still raises the hairs on my neck
BS 6206 required that glass either breaks safely (e.g. no shards) or doesn't break under the test conditions. In real life, the test conditions are unlikely to be replicated so it's perfectly feasible for compliant glass to break dangerously.

I fail to understand why the safety requirement wasn't just to apply a film yet when my wife went through a childminding inspection, we went through all sorts of hoops to get the inspector (who had no formal knowledge) to accept that film trumped kite mark.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Well spotted, could have been nasty if it caught.
Quick question, what's the bike under the tarp with no wheel/front end? I want to say XS11, but the oil cooler doesn't look right. (Yes I know I have no life...)
Suzuki 1300 bruiser thingy
Another mate owns it now, and has clocked up some mahoosive miles
The Zephyr went to a good home, complete with all its provenance, spares original advertising etc
And my mate 12 bellies is off on a different journey in a weeks time
But its a one way trip that I want to avoid joining him on for as long as possible

There's coincidence for you. A friend managed to break the glass panel on the front door, yesterday, and the glass shop wouldn't sell him a like for like replacement as they've been verboten for 30-40 years. Laminate glass instead.

Having read @O Zangado's tale of woe I can see why.

I think if the pane of glass is smaller than certain prescribed dimensions, you can have standard glass fitted, but blowed if I can remember what they are now, possibly less than 4 or 6 inches in width. Even that may have changed now.

When I worked at Hants County Architects, there was a programme of applying safety film to all non compliant glass in doors and windows.

There was a mate of mine years ago who bought a house with the old style glazed doors in. I urged him to change the doors or glass, especially since that had a toddler running around. I don’t recall them ever getting around to it.

BlipDriver

War Hero
Suzuki 1300 bruiser thingy
Another mate owns it now, and has clocked up some mahoosive miles
The Zephyr went to a good home, complete with all its provenance, spares original advertising etc
And my mate 12 bellies is off on a different journey in a weeks time
But its a one way trip that I want to avoid joining him on for as long as possible
Cheers for that, just looked at the way the barrels tapered in towards the cams & wondered.
Sorry about your mate.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Cheers for that, just looked at the way the barrels tapered in towards the cams & wondered.
Sorry about your mate.
hes allright now, he has been in pain for years, pretty much self induced though
a quick end and painless
he did most of his motorcycling on a Honda SH300
imagine if he had karked it on that !! would have kept going till it was out of petrol

Proff3RTR

War Hero
BATUS 1990, our panzer (good old Chieftain) had gone tits, REME came around, drivers cab in bits, new batteries required, no worries, the batteries arrived and we slid them with mucho grunting and swearing into place, the driver (Hi Kit) said ‘go on then Proff, you link em all up mate and crank her over and we can get a brew on) no worries thinks I, I really thought I had linked them up in series properly until I put the bridge plate in touched the terminals by accident and blew the left hand set of batteries to bits and sent a shock up my left arm, cue me screaming and shooting out of the cab like a bloody Polaris missle and my left arm shaking like I was having a fit for the next few hours and Kit having to sort it all out. I claimed that I was just about to put the bridge plate in and it went bang, honest it was not my fault! Well that’s what I claimed………well it got us out of the exercise for a night as REMs could not get any more batteries out to us until the morning and the Sqn ad a night move to make, so not all bad I suppose.

Awol

LE
Some of you senior twonks will remember back in the sixties many doors had a spring loaded ball bearing that fastened into a recess on the rebate instead of a latch. They used to blow open in the mildest breeze. Anyhoo, me as a frenetic six-year-old came running at full chat up to Nan's two pane glass door fitted with one of these devices and put my arm up to push it open. I missed the frame and went straight through with the door still shut.

The result, of this serious cock up apart from life threatening blood loss, was that the glass took the tip of my nose off, left another cut across the bridge of my nose that missed my eyes by an inch, cut straight through my cheek into my upper jaw bone, left four serious wounds on both arms and numerous other lacerations here and there. A brilliant plastic surgeon, after 140 stitches and numerous butterfly plasters , restored my boyish good looks and now, sixty years later, the scars are barely visible. Anyone who does notice is told I got them in a sabre duel in Heidelberg over the honour of a wench.

The other less glamorous result is that I still hate mushed up Weetabix in milk, whiich was all I was allowed to eat for a fortnight because of the stitches inside my mouth.

OZ
Spooky baby.

When I was ten (I remember that because we only lived in the house for a year), I was chasing my sister in the back garden and she ran into the house via the back door... and locked it behind her.

I came racing up, put my palm flat on the top glazed half, and went straight through it, cutting my arm from the underside of my wrist, to nearly my elbow.

She didn’t get away unscathed either, with a tiny shard of glass whizzing across the kitchen and leaving a one inch scar on her left cheek which is still very slightly visible even today.

We were told off. Lots.

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Land rover 110 County V8. Chatham.

Had some work done on brakes by LAD as a favour.
Told sump gasket needed changing and that it would be easy enough for me to do myself.
Under the 110, bugger, don't have spanner big enough to shift the drain plug.
Lucky I've not started, jump in, drive to shops and purchase large adjustments spanner.
Back home.
Under the 110. Spanner fits. But am not daft, appreciate that there will be a quantity of oil. Have a cardboard box ready, the sort bananas come to the supermarket in. Lined box with binbag and blue roll.
Place box under drain plug. Unscrew plug with new spanner.
Watch oil leave hole in an magnificent arc that entirely misses the box.
Move box to catch arc.
Allow to drain fully.

Correct size socket selected from socket set, start to remove nuts holding sump onto vehicle. Start at front and move rearward.
Realise that while it is easy to access the nuts at the front of the sump, those at the back at out of reach of socket.
What will be required is an extension bar for the socket. There is no extension bar in my socket set.
This time however I have no vehicle to drive to the shops in.
And it has started raining. Biblical rain, with thunder and lightning.
Not many shops sell extension bars for socket sets.
Even fewer within a reasonable distance from house!

The end result was that, as predicted the actual task was simple enough.
If you have the right tools to hand!

Fitting a guitar nut yesterday. I was using a level surface (fret levelling beam) and still managed not to sand the base of it flat. In fact I made such an arse of it I am now questioning my own sanity to get it so wrong with all the right tool.

Issi

LE
Tried snipping some wires from a broken exterior light to tidy up the hallway.
30 seconds later, shouts from all three boys bedrooms -

“Dad! The internet has gone off!”

It was a very frosty 5 days until BT could visit.

RTU'd

LE
Tried snipping some wires from a broken exterior light to tidy up the hallway.
30 seconds later, shouts from all three boys bedrooms -

“Dad! The internet has gone off!”

It was a very frosty 5 days until BT could visit.
Your children should have reported the vile abuse of no internet to the NSPCC.

As in 'why?'...........In Glesga they say 'How?'
Could be worse. In West Yorkshire, "while" translates as "until". Usually it's not a problem apart from temporary traffic lights which have the sign "Wait here while red light shows".

Dangerous? Appen.

Latest Threads