Any chance of a Georgia war spotters thread?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by angular, Aug 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm having problems identifying which vehicles are whose in news reports from Georgia. I assume all the BMD's are Russian; beyond that, how do I tell, if there are no clues in the commentary?
  2. ...Made especially tricky as they are also all heading in the same direction.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The landrovers with all the wheels still on are georgian and still in their possession, everything else seems to be owned by Gazprom!
  4. Georgians are using the Dana. Their number plates look like this

Attached Files:

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

6. BMD's are Russian.

Georgia and Russia are using similarly configured T-72B/BM.

T-55/T-62 are thought to be from Sout Ossetia/Abkhazia.

Anything else you'll have to look at the uniforms for a clue - Geogia are using US Woodland/USMC Marpat. They usually wear their National Flag on the upper right arm.
    However South Ossetians have also been seen wearing US Woodland.

Attached Files:

7. Also involved are 1 (possibly 2) companies of Chechens alongside the Russians.

Russians are thought to be from the 58th Army.
    Airborne troops in Abkhazia are thought to be from the 76Th Guards Airborne Div.

(if anyone knows different, please set me straight)

*edited to add:
    if you can post any pics you're having trouble with, I'm sure there are loads of us can help you out :)
  8. Georgians are also running around/away from the Cobra.

The BMP-2 on the right belongs to one of the Chechen Companies

Attached Files:

9. News at 10 last night were showing BMP-2's squashing police cars.
  10. I have not been doing this rec stuff for ages but was very excited to see all the kit last night. Not sure I would recognise a BMD and would confuse it with other stuff so for old times sake would anyone like to get the slides out and give me a quick UNCLASS lesson on the kit in this conflict?

I am sat in a darkened, mouldy, freezing cold portacabin.....

With a carousel of 30 slides, load....