Any Chain Home stations left?

tiv

LE
Correct:

The Great Baddow Mast – a former Chain Home radar transmitter tower, originally sited at RAF Canewdon – was moved to the outskirts of Great Baddow around 1954 and is used by BAE Systems for equipment testing. The last remaining example of a Chain Home tower maintaining its platforms, it was made a listed building by Historic England in October 2019 and given a Grade II status
Two of the receiver towers were also removed and re-erected at Churchend Range on Foulness where they were used to support a wire mesh ball used to test proximity fuzes, though long replaced by more modern constructions.

And, yes, the gunners did occasionally hit the ball just to keep everyone entertained.

Historic England have a map online: Transmitter Tower (tower 2), Transmitter site, former Swingate Chain Home Radar Station, St. Margaret's At Cliffe - 1405535 | Historic England

The towers were reconstructed in the 1960s for the film Battle of Britain. Pic borrowed from pprune.org BBC 2 : Castles In The Sky - PPRuNe Forums
31.Radarstation3.jpg

I always noticed that there were always a characteristic sound to the explosions in the Battle of Britain film.
It was a distinct double hit kind of thing - Ker.....Boom - whenever the plywood and cardboard props of various types were blown to bits by Stuka bombers and the like.

I can only guess that it was the sound of a det charge followed by the main charge. I would have expected the two to be indistinguishable from each other. I've never heard such a thing in any other film.

mad_collie

War Hero
RAF Dry Tree on the Lizard Peninsula was a Chain Home station.. There are a few remains of buildings and anchor points around. It has been years since I’ve been there (mainly shagging my girlfriend in the lay-by when I was young) so I can’t really say what it is like now. Just next to Dry Tree is Goonhilly Earth Station, which used to do tours, I’m not sure if they do now. Off thread, I could see the Goonhilly dishes from my bedroom window as a kid.

RP
I could as well. I take it you went to Mullion Comp?

I could as well. I take it you went to Mullion Comp?
No, I moved away before changing school, but most of my friends went to secondary school in Mullion. I went to Garras Primary school and lived in Mawgan. I still have friends who live that way and people who remember my grandparentS, who I lived with. Where did you live?

RP

Some pics here of the last Chain Home tower at RAF Bawdsey during and following its demolition, "Gone end of an era" as the website author says.

Chain Home tower demolished
Felt quite sad when I saw those pics. Bawdsey was one of those postings that remains at the forefront of one's memories; other postings were just a passing moment in time and some I would rather forget.

Felt quite sad when I saw those pics. Bawdsey was one of those postings that remains at the forefront of one's memories; other postings were just a passing moment in time and some I would rather forget.
TBH i found the smaller the camp the better it was, 1 place so small you knew everyone by first name

TBH i found the smaller the camp the better it was, 1 place so small you knew everyone by first name
Absolutely. Bawdsey was small, maybe 200 - 250 on the strength there, if that ( there wasn't enough for a AOC's parade - he got a Guard of Honour on the ferry landing and that was it!**)! I got posted from there to Brize Norton (at the other end of the manning scale) where the place was so big there were folks in the same section I never knew existed (we operated a 4-shift system). Horrendous, souless bloody place with more than enough suicides for comfort.

** the timing had to coincide with low tide otherwise it was wet feet time.

Absolutely. Bawdsey was small, maybe 200 - 250 on the strength there, if that ( there wasn't enough for a AOC's parade - he got a Guard of Honour on the ferry landing and that was it!**)! I got posted from there to Brize Norton (at the other end of the manning scale) where the place was so big there were folks in the same section I never knew existed (we operated a 4-shift system). Horrendous, souless bloody place with more than enough suicides for comfort.

** the timing had to coincide with low tide otherwise it was wet feet time.
Had a guy woiked fire section at BZN when concorde was ar Fairford,iirc 100 plus fmn,someof who he meet in his rime there

Latest Threads