Any Chain Home stations left?

I'd love to have a look around one if there are.

They were of huge importance to the Nation.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd love to have a look around one if there are.

They were of huge importance to the Nation.

I asked the National Trust about this issue but they said that it's not on their radar.

RAF Stenigot up in the Lincolnshire Wolds still has the tower which is Grade II listed, and still used for training by the RAF.

Up until a couple of years ago it also had the concrete tropospheric scatter dishes until they were controversially and possibly illegal demolished -

The dishes were a local tourist attraction esp for urban explorers and history buffs

Last edited:

Chef

LE
There are some relics left and this seems to be the most complete one. No wooden, receiving towers I think, survive.

ETA If you go to google maps
At the entrance to Hartigan Software looking west the tower can be seen.

Last edited:
And probably the most visually recognisable site in the country,
Swingate_Chain_Home_radar_towers_-_White_Cliffs_of_Dover.jpg

Swingate, above Dover.

Not sure if RAF Bawdsy was one, closed in 1990 iirc, we went to cover the fire station so they could attend the piss up,we attended for eats and soft drinks when for some strange reason to do with the tide or such all the grown ups left on a bus.
So we got pissed,which was nice

Was posted to Bawdsey, when it was still operating the Type 80 Radar, after a tough (yeah! right) tour at Gutersloh. Bawdsey was a tough tour for a single lad, but the work wasn't too bad. It wasn't known as 'Bawdsey Baby Farm' for nothing with blokes being severely outnumbered.

The easiest way to reach the place was using Charlie Brinkley's ferry from the Felixstowe side of the River Deben, otherwise it was a cross-country hay-ride via Woodbridge to get anywhere near to civilisation. Best kept RAF secret for years until it closed.

Was posted to Bawdsey, when it was still operating the Type 80 Radar, after a tough (yeah! right) tour at Gutersloh. Bawdsey was a tough tour for a single lad, but the work wasn't too bad. It wasn't known as 'Bawdsey Baby Farm' for nothing with blokes being severely outnumbered.

The easiest way to reach the place was using Charlie Brinkley's ferry from the Felixstowe side of the River Deben, otherwise it was a cross-country hay-ride via Woodbridge to get anywhere near to civilisation. Best kept RAF secret for years until it closed.
Lots of photos here: RAF Bawdsey ‘PKD’ R3 GCI ROTOR Radar Station
Visitors centre Bawdsey Radar

Last edited:

IIRC the ferry was left open for the local fire station to row across in a hurry if the bunker had a fire.
One of my bosses had the job of caretaking the camp when it was waiting to be reopened,
He was told off for answering the phone as station commarder.
IIRC it had to be offered back to the family of the owners who gave it up to the war effort, at 1940s price.
also sad to say had a blue on blue in ww2 that saw some booties killed

Two fascinating links .
In the 50's I was a member of an Amateur Radio Expedition to St Abb's Head ... I can remember clearly a Radar Mast which I now know to be part of the Chain Home System and is at Grid NT84376653 ... there was a deserted small building near the base which we of course explored .
The Wiki link gives some fascinating information concerning jamming techniques used by the Germans and our successful countermeasures .

ETA there are still masts at the Ottercops location about 8 km SW of Otterburn .

Last edited:
RAF Balderton is not far from me. Frank Whittle tested the jet engine there. It has an historic group with much detail on the area and has spread it’s wings further looking at RAF Winthorpe and RAF Stations in Lincolnshire. I’d bet they’d have considerable knowledge about fixtures and fittings.

A.N.Other

War Hero
There's the shell of one overlooking Port Talbot. You can see it on the hill overlooking Margam as you drive west on the M4 west between Pyle and Port Talbot. Not much left of it. Iirc the main building is still standing and the powerhouse nearby.

Latest Threads