Any builders in?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_STAB, Jun 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody give some sensible suggestions as to how much a garage would cost to build to the following spec?

20x20 ft.
    8ft to eaves
    Pitched roof. Timber and Tile.
    Brick construction or Block with Brick facing
    5 windows approx 3x3 ft
    2 off Single hinged timber "car" doors.
    1 off side door
    8" concrete floor.

This is for a guide price, I'll be happy to post invitations to tender if the project goes ahead.

Cheers,

ES

2. Block with brick facing? For a few quid extra, you could call it a bungalow.

3. Im millimetres man!

Whats the wall construction, is it breeze block single skin or precast concrete?
    slate or concrete tile roof?
    single pane timber windows?
    Im not sure that a 200mm concrete slab would be sufficient if its breeze block, I would suggest 600mm strip found with a 100mm screed

But Im putting together a price just now because Im hungover and frankly can't be arrsed working.

4. 8 grand

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Don't forget an inspection pit. (Can also be filled with poisoned punji sticks to kill burglars - dead ones cannot sue).

6. Good point!

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

£2.5k, comes off the back of a lorry and has the added advantage of enabling you to tell your mates "I just bought a new shed. Its frocking huge". Thus avoiding the "Light on his feet for a big man" taint associated with garages.

[​IMG]

8. Ta,

6000x6000mm
    2440mm to eaves

Pitched roof. Timber and Tile.
    Brick construction or Block with Brick facing
    5 windows approx 1000x1000mm
    2 off Single hinged timber "car" doors.
    1 off side door
    200mm concrete floor.

I'm quite keen on traditional materials rather than the pre-fab options.
    Adding a single pit would be a good idea but not essential.

It would be a garage/workshop rather than a potential bungalow but I see what folks might be thinking!

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You know what else rocks? Elton John. Freddy Mercury. He rocked too. Jimmy Summerfield had his moments and George Micheal rocks when he can manage to stay awake.

Sheds = Nails

Garages = A row of pink silk boy scouts tents at Christmas

10. To lower costs reduce the number of windows and increase their size - forming the opening incurs extra costs compared to a normal wall

What height is the wall plate? This will determine the type of brick/block construction to support the roof

What is the internal finish? Fair faced brick/block, render or plaster? Do you require the garage to be insuated?

Are you going to extract exhaust fumes?

Is the garage adjoining an existing habitable building? If yes then the adjoining wall needs t be fire rated, and you need to fire proof the roof back 1.5m from the fire rated wall to stop flames "jumping"

Will you need power? If yes then you need to think about getting a supply in and how many sockets you need for the load.

Will you need a water suppply (keen gardener)? Again, you need a supply and tap location, plus waste, drainage and probably a sink

What are you intending to store in it? That should determine the ground slab and may either add or reduce costs.

11. check pms ex stab

12. Builders? No mate but Mrs JD has got the painters in!

*gets coat*

13. Thanks for those suggestions.
    A lot of the finer points to fit out such as electrickery, water, extraction/ventilation, lighting, lifting etc are things I already have fairly good experience of so can make some educated estimates.

There would actually be a number of "special" features required but they wouldn't really alter the cost of construction greatly and to avoid confusion it was easiest to give a rough spec as above.

14. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

All very good points. Another factor will be the bricks, roof tiles or slates and timber needed. Brick costs can vary hugely from dirt cheap crap like london brick to realy gucci and realy expensive class 1 engineering. Will steelwork be needed in the roof structure? Doubt it but they have been getting very silly with building regs recently. Are you intending to crate a loft space? Or are you vaulting the roof? If you need lots of light consider Velux windows in a vaulted roof even if they are a bit pricey for a garage.