Any Black Watch experts here?

Odd question perhaps, but can anyone tell me if the ToS or Balmoral was worn with cap badge (rather than the hackle) by anyone apart from Home Guard personnel during WW2? (I've seen a couple of photos of HG wearing them).

If so, was it a particular battalion peculiarity, or standard throughout the Regiment with a certain order of dress?

The reason I ask is that I saw a collector on FB who has adorned a ToS with Black Watch cap badge and black backing cloth, and who is adamant that it's correct.

Any input?

T_T

All Arrsers are experts on something , some on everything so I`m sure one will be along soon.

Odd question perhaps, but can anyone tell me if the ToS or Balmoral was worn with cap badge (rather than the hackle) by anyone apart from Home Guard personnel during WW2? (I've seen a couple of photos of HG wearing them).

If so, was it a particular battalion peculiarity, or standard throughout the Regiment with a certain order of dress?

The reason I ask is that I saw a collector on FB who has adorned a ToS with Black Watch cap badge and black backing cloth, and who is adamant that it's correct.

Any input?

T_T

badge, headdress, British, The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders), other ranks

I served with the Black Watch on a Rear Link Detachment in Werl in 1984. Corps attached were treated like untermensch. I still shudder at the thought of marking time on the spot, in No 2 dress, with the RSM screaming in my ear "get em higher"!
I shit you not - I was a newly promoted Sgt and it was for my arrival interview with the CO! Happy days. :-|
So forgive me, OP, if I'm not able to contribute favourably to the thread!

Last edited:
Hes not an other rank, sleeve rank so Officer Circa pre to First war. And in the picture there is no badge of his bonnet just the red hackel.
From my experience of serving alongside the Black Watch they wore badges on their Glengarries not on the ToS.
Yep, try google mate...... 'twas where I got yon piccy froom, the noo' .....and such other gibberish ;-) ...im not an expert on Jockineese and have no wish to be , was just adding my tuppence worth and trying to help.

You're Welcome

Caaahnt ;-)

I served with the Black Watch on a Rear Link Detachment in Werl in 1984. Corps attached were treated like untermensch. I still shudder at the thought of marking time on the spot, in No 2 dress, with the RSM screaming in my ear "get em higher"!
I shit you not - I was a newly promoted Sgt and it was for my arrival interview with the CO! Happy days. :-|
See, if you’d been RLD with 2RGJ, you’d have been invited in for a sit down tea and bickies welcome. All very grown up.

If I remember correctly, BW wore a red hackle in a ToS without a badge and a badge with their Glengarry

If I remember correctly, BW wore a red hackle in a ToS without a badge and a badge with their Glengarry
As Corps attached (R SIGNALS, REME, ACC, RAOC and RAPC)- pre RLC days remember, we all wore the TOS with red hackle, but with our own cap badges.
On parade, I recall we wore our 'twat hats' and No 2s. I remember a CSM telling me I wasn't entitled to wear a kilt. Thank fcuk for that, I thought to myself! :money:

Poor do there, mucker. I found the Gordons to be very nice.

(Cue: ghey comments....?)

Yep, try google mate...... 'twas where I got yon piccy froom, the noo' .....and such other gibberish ;-) ...im not an expert on Jockineese and have no wish to be , was just adding my tuppence worth and trying to help.

You're Welcome

Caaahnt ;-)
And so you did, I was just chucking in my humble contribution. Sorry you felt agrieved!

Poor do there, mucker. I found the Gordons to be very nice.
To be fair, most of the ‘Jocks’, SNCO’s and DE Officers were fine - it was the WO and LE community who were (in the main) unwelcoming/terryifying in my opinion. Perhaps I’d led a sheltered Corps existence up to that point in my career! :-D

Only the Home Guard wore wore the cap badge on their TOS’s/Balmoral’s, all the regular battalions only wore a badge on the glengarry.

Only the Home Guard wore wore the cap badge on their TOS’s/Balmoral’s, all the regular battalions only wore a badge on the glengarry.
Cheers, that's what I thought.