Any astronomers on here?

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by supermatelot, Jan 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I got "bought" a star for xmas. Have just got the certificate with it named after me etc (yeah I know).

I know it's position / declention etc but can't make head nor tail of the various websites where you can input the details and see it.

Any arrsers able to help?
  2. Downlaod and install 'starry night' onto your PC, you can set all the guides on that and it will take you to it. Dont be surprised if its one that can only be seen using a 30" telescope on top of a chilean mountain!

I presume the cert gives Right Ascension and Declination? What are those figures, i'll stick them in my software and let you know at least which constellation to look at!

Im sure i dont need to tell you this, but you do understand you dont own the star, neither is any name youve given it official!

If you dont know your constellations, if you have a smartphone put google sky map on it and enable your GPS, it will show you what your looking at in the sky
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Nice little earner, that.
  4. Cheers wireless barf. i'll post up the right declension etc when I get home at 06:30 GMT
  5. yep, like a plot of building land on Mars or a crater on the moon. Not like you could ever stake your claim now is it. £25 for a cert dashed off on a inkjet and a printout from starry-night. Say 15p for the ink and paper, 60p or whatever it is for the stamp and an envelope, and a few tens of notes for an ad in the sundays.
  6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

so can jarrod have his own manly black hole?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. It is: STARDQVQXX3Q4W-23997832

Right ascension 7h 41m 30.1s
    Declination +2 13' 14.1
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Right ascension 7h 41m 30.1s Declination +2 13' 14.1

is just below Procyon in Canis Minor, about halfway between Gemini and Sirius.

9. As long as there isn't a brown dwarf in it.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. yep! ^_^

That said, if the book was decent, say a Philips, and the map thingy was a planisphere (a round card 'calculator') then its not too bad a deal really, at least you get something usable from it
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yes, I make that to be in Ursa Major, a few degrees up from the 'line' between Mizar and Alioth. Thats the two bright stars in the middle of the 'handle' of the 'dipper'

Both constellations, Ursa Major and Gemini, are very easy naked eye this time of year so long as your not smack bang middle of the city. Canis Minor is harder, but Sirius is pretty unmistakable.
  12. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru