• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Any astronomers in here

Anyone got the star watching bug and what bit of kit have you picked up.
I used to use a 20" telescope, but now I have to make do with a pair of cheap binoculars, a 70 mm spotter, an 80 mm with solar filter and a 90 mm - all let down by shaky mounts and lots of light pollution.

M

Mark The Convict

I used to use a 20" telescope, but now I have to make do with a pair of cheap binoculars, a 70 mm spotter, an 80 mm with solar filter and a 90 mm - all let down by shaky mounts and lots of light pollution.
You're bitter, aren't you?

That's why Santa didn't bring you a new telescope this year.
Err, no. I think I was on his Naughty List for a number of other things plus some I'd asked to be taken into account.

Although, my 7-yr old, who's just looked over my shoulder, says you're probably right.

Mind you, Santa's on my GBAD List if he doesn't stump up a decent 120 refractor on an EQ-5 mount this year.

I've just acquired a second-hand Celestron XLT-102 (102 mm objective, f9.8 refractor on a CG-4 equatorial mount) for about 1/3 of the going rate for a new one. Although the sky earlier this evening was largely overcast by thin, high cloud, there were a few relatively clear patches; in particular, looking low in the south, Saturn was visible to the east of Spica and was a natural for comparing the new scope to the smaller ones (and a 114 mm reflector I forgot to mention, but excluding the bins (broken) and the 70 mm (down at the caravan)). After roughly aligning the mount on Polaris, I put the 25 mm eyepiece in the 102 and was rewarded with a (surprisingly) sharp image of Saturn, the rings nicely showing and what I think was Titan off to one side. Swapping to a 6 mm eyepiece gave a very nice view indeed. The mount was very stable and I could, for the first time, manually adjust the scope without too much vibration and settling time was almost instant - a vast improvement on the other mounts. I did a quick comparison with the other scopes, which verified my initial impressions of the 102's better optics, but, more importantly, highlighted the tremendous difference that a decent mount makes to the viewing experience. Definitely money well spent.

If I get time, I'll have to play around with connecting a laptop & camera (tried afocal smartphone but it didn't pan out). Santa can still get me a 120 mm scope (or better) but, failing that, an equatorial motor drive would seem to be the logical next step.

Latest Threads