Any Alienware users?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by blue-sophist, Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm just into my first year with an Alienware ALX system that cost around £3500.

The power cannot be denied, but it turned out to be the most unstable system I've ever known. Eventually it started locking up ... randomly. During boot-up, at idle state, or in an application ... it would do it anything from once to 12 times a day, or work perfectly for a week or two!! Hard re-boot, and eventually going again ... until the next time.

My IT-Nephew tried everything imaginable to no effect ... and the ultimate kick in the slats was the Alienware Re-Spawn disk, which should have returned the system to "factory gate" state, was corrupted!!

Eventually, last week, my IT-Nephew had to do the full Monty ... reloading Windows XP Pro, abandoning the 300 Gb SCSI drive and leaving me with 2 separate 150 Gb drives. It now [touch wood] seems to perform better than ever. :roll:

How's your Alien :?: I find the noise from the machine is fairly awful, and I have to keep the door closed otherwise I hear it when I'm trying to go to sleep upstairs!
  2. msr

msr LE

£3500 for a machine which you will be able to get for half that next year?

Someone saw you coming ;)

3. Stop surfing pr0n, do a good clean up and all should be well. Failing that, make sure all your drivers are upto date. Did I mentune Alienware are owned by Dell these days................Good luck mate :)
  4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

did you call alienware customer support?
  5. blue-sophist

Ah ... support. :roll:
    Hmmmm ... not their strongest point, I gather.
    I let IT-nephew do the talking, as he understands the dribble :wink:
    However, in the past I've had interesting chats with an Indian in Ireland, a very nice young man in USA who then transferred me to another inaudible somebody in Ireland ...

Essentially, my problem was clearly Windows getting corrupted somewhere, but I was curious to know if any other Alien users were happy [or not].

As for msr's comment ... I'll just check my spec 12 months on from when I got it and get back to you :wink:
  6. Stop leaving it on overnight?

Think of all the nasty viruses that are getting in. And all the squirrels that you are killing with the effects of your power-consumption....
  7. that's the problem. try turning it off so it doesn't overheat. Since aliens are high spec machines they tend to run hot quickly, even when idle.
  8. blue-sophist

Thanks, Sparky!
    1. Our indigenous Red Squirrels are seemingly unconcerned ... we have several in the garden.
    2. Apparently it's happier to be left on, which lets system maintenance happen overnight [de-frag, updates etc.]
    3. I have a virus-free zone, thank you!
    msr ... from a quick check, I believe my equivalent spec would now cost £3300. :wink:
  9. blue-sophist

A good point, and indeed that's what I used to do. However, the liquid cooling system should be able to cope. FFS, this things got more fans than an Airbus :lol: And ... it seems to be running a lot cooler than it used to.

I know that Alien laptops can't stay cool ... but this furgling great Wurlitzer has fans and vents coming out of its ears, regardless of the liquid cooling on the quad-SLI graphics cards.
  10. Then the problem lies in what you have done with it since it was new!!!!!!
    FFS just do a recovery.
  11. blue-sophist

Indeed, recovery is done and working better than ever [read back :roll: ].

I was not asking for advice on my PC, but asking about other users' experiences with Alienware ....
  12. That's because death comes quick for them.

Seriously, your little Island can't be generating that much, what method are you using?

13. My bad then, humble and all that crap.. You broughty bleading edge. All of the ALX range are over clocked.

Money sence, no balance, comes to mind?
  14. blue-sophist

jinxy .... I wanted a high-spec PC with mega graphics capability for specific tasks. I was advised to go the Alien route. The cost was a bit of a shock, but it's supposed to be a robust and long-lived system with high-spec components. The cost argument was based on "Go Alien, or buy cheaper and replace in 2 1/2 years with another one". If this does 5, I'll be content ... the sums seem to add up.

However, no other Alien users checking in so far .....

15. On what the govt pays squaddies these days???? :x .... be lucky if they can afford an old 286 never mind a box with three and a half K's worth of chips bolted to a fridge..... :wink: