Any Advocates here?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Feb 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not thast I need one, rather I'm seriously considering a career change and the idea of Advocacy appeals.

Whats required?

I have a professional qualification ( but not a degree ).

TIA

BB

2. If it helps, I was short listed for Pope. Although rather unusually I am not a Catholic. I'll leave the rest to ....

3. Come on, really, what have you done?

4. THIS IS AFRICA HUH? HUH YEAH!

5. Is this a wah or someone seriously looking to retrain as a solicitor or barrister?

6. Its a NODUFF query, genuine q.

7. I think you need and law degree as a start and then you sit the Bar exams after a while.

8. Fire away what do you want to know?

9. I don't want to put you off but I've just spent 5 years wasting my time and money trying to become a solicitor. I left school and went straight to Shorncliffe as a Junior Leader in 1986 so I therefore have no A levels. I thought that 20+ year's worth of life/work experience would make up for the lack of A levels - unfortunately I was wrong, unless you are prepared to earn the Solicitor's minimum wage (around £16k). But that's my sob story - if you want to give it a go you can look at the following websites:

Barrister - www.barcouncil.org.uk
    Solicitor - www.lawsociety.org.uk

I did my law degree at Birkbeck College in London over 4 years (part-time) and the LPC at Chelmsford over 9 months (full-time). Solicitors are also advocates, which type of court you can address depends on your rights of audience.

Hope this helps.