any advice to help increase amount of press ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SONOFHOMER, Nov 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i have recently started to train again and need some advice on increasing my pressup ability and speed at doing them.

i guess the only real way of doing more is just to get on an push them out but does anyone have a routine which helps build up muscle stamina and strenght etc

is it best to push out as many as possible then rest of a few sets of low reps?
  2. Have a look here and scroll down to Getting started on your push up program.
  3. Thanks for the advice will crack on with these for now what other exercises are good for press ups?
  4. Anything which targets pectorals (chest muscles), triceps (back of the upper arm) and deltoids (shoulder muscles).

For example:

Chest press, tricep dips, seated row, dumbbell flys, etc.
    There literally is hundreds of exercises and variations that you could do.

However, a lot of people say that the best thing to improve press-ups is, press-ups (unfortunately).

Acclimatising your body to an exercise will make you better at it. A personal favourite that I recommend to people is to do the maximum number you can first thing in the morning, for example 40 consecutive.
    Then, every chance you get during your working day, just do ten percent of your maximum, in this example, 4. You'll notice results after a few days, when your maximum number starts to increase. However, you will notice a slight decline in the first week, due to muscle fatigue.

Best of luck!

5. I used to do about 15 every time I was waiting for the kettle to boil. Be surprised how many you do in a day that way.
  6. Look at the topic on tabatta, found good results with that. I would explain it......but you didn't bother looking up the other 100 topics on this i won't bother searching it up for you xx
  7. Another way is to bash out tens or twelves while resting for a short time between, or combining with other exercises like sit-ups.
    Or take dog out or go for a run and every few minutes drop down and bash out 12/15/20 depending on you.
    That can be effective, the dog walk is good if you do sit-ups as well -a bit every five minutes and in an hour you will feel it.
    That said you need to practice doing the maximum as well.
  8. Mark out 100 metres, run there jog back do 15 press-ups , repeat and do 15 sit-ups, repeat and do 15 burpees and carry on for as long as you can. That's best for me, I do that once a week as part of my weekly phys and once you've done it a few times it becomes remarkably easy to do for about an hour or so and you'll end up doing hundreds of each exercise in one session.

Do that once or twice a week as well as a few different distance runs and you're laughing mate.

Doing the maximum to fail never seems to work as well as doing small reps, I find that when I do lots of small reps I get a much better score on a PFT, and I can concentrate on quality, handy for those moments when you get a cnut of a PTI that makes you hold the press-up in the down and the halfway down position.
  9. The only way to get better at Press Ups is by doing Press Ups... the more the merrier, I was once sad enough to do 1,000 of the things during a stag shift up in Scotland, it wasn't gate guard but a kind of watch for whoever had booked out and had come back in, while we stayed at a T.A. Camp whilst working on a range... for a T.A. Platz it was well comfy, but then again anywhere would be compared to the normal Regimental H blocks we had back at camp...
  10. Day 1, do 1 Press up, that's right, just one!
    Day 2, do 2 press up, that's right, just two!
    Day 3, do 3 press ups, that's right, just three!
    Day 365, you can do 365 PRESS UPS!!!

After all, you're only doing one more each day than you did the day before! :)
  11. Reminds me of: "Milo of Crotona was one of the greatest athletes of antiquity, winning the wrestling title in the ancient Greek Olympiad six times.

It was said that he built his great strength by carrying a newborn calf on his back each day. As the calf grew larger, so did Milo's Strength. After many days of this, Milo was able to carry a full grown bull on his shoulders -- and thus progressive resistance exercise was born."

edited to add: From here
  12. That's nothing, I spent 3 years carrying a fat cow.
  13. How much did she get in the settlement when you called her that?
  14. Tabata. 4 minutes of intensive work. 2x 2 min sessions with 30 secs rest between. The results do happen, if you don't die of heart failure first.