Anxiety medication

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by londonfluffy_bunny, Dec 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need an honest assessment of my chances/suitability for the army.

Have been on Cipralex (anxiety medication), lowest dose for just over a year. Got help because I was feeling teary all the time. No apparent trigger. Worked brilliantly within a fortnight. My doctor said I needed to stay on it at least 6-8 months. Aiming to see about coming off it in January after my driving test. Have also become very aware of stressful situations and negative thought patterns at work and in life and have developed some useful coping techniques.

As I've been on it longer than the minimum, will that mean I'd have to have a longer 'clean' period? An RAF officer I spoke to a while back at a event said I'd be looking at needing to be clear 1-5 years. I'm 25 and want to join the Intelligence Corp so in 5 years I'd be too old.

I'm a graduate with 4 years of life in the 'real world' so I'm not too worried about the BARB or the paper side of my application. My reason for joining is to do a job with meaning, make lifelong friends, travel, possibly learn a language.

Anybody got in under similar circumstances? Anyone rejected? Anyone with valid doubts about me even applying?

I asked the Online Careers Advice on the official site. They just told me I'd discuss it when I apply- but there doesn't seem to be any point applying if I'm ineligible, even once I'm off it.

What should I do?
  2. Try reposting this message on the professional qualified forum, its got all the medical bods on it they'll probably give you a decent steer

3. I got chucked from a nhs job at the occupational health stage as i was taking prozac . I would assume if off drug for a year could apply they wouldnt look at you while on it . I guess it depends on the doctor you see
    when doing the medical . Get off the meds and be a stunning candidatie
    anything less and they will bin you .