Anxiety medical history.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by lel, Aug 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. lel

lel

Hey.

Sorry for making a new post for myself.

I'm going to try and keep this short.

I've applied to join the TA. Did the online medical questionnaire and was rejected. I'm assuming this rejection was due to me ticking the box for a history of anxiety. I appealed this decision and was successful. (Included a note from my GP saying the anxiety was a transient childhood phase - as is apparently common).

Some details: this anxiety was brought on by a fear of dizziness, and is mentioned this way on my records. I do not have this fear now, nor have I had it for a long time. I never was prescribed or took any medication. (I believe the fear of dizziness was the "stressor").

I'm 19 now, the last time this anxiety is mentioned on my medical records was, I believe, nearly 6 years ago. The time 6 years ago I believe was from a period of perhaps 4-5 months, I'm not really sure, and it was just 2-3 sessions of "therapy", which were quite frankly a joke. I don't believe there was another instance of it before the last - however I can't remember and I'll be asking my GP tomorrow. Is it true that if there is 2 instances of this lasting over 3 months each I'm permanently barred from joining the services? I find that hard to believe considering I was just a child going through a short phase. If this were to be the case, would I be able to consult an army psychiatric doctor of some sort to try and get the all clear?

I'm going to ADSC soon, obviously the doctor is going to bring this up to me. I have NO intention of lying about my medical history. What are my chances of a medical fail at ADSC in your opinions? I don't think there'll be a deferral - it's already been nearly 6 years - it's pass or fail.

Would be absolutely gutted if something as utterly trivial as this were to fail me. I'm a fit, healthy and keen candidate for the TA.

Thanks for any replies.

2. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

I would imagine you will be OK. If your appeal was successful then they have looked in to it. You will probably be asked about it but that shouldn't be a surprise. I am not medically qualified and my reply is an assumption but from what I have seen in the past I think you have cleared the biggest hurdle.

3. lel

lel

Thank you for your response! I hadn't considered they'd checked up on it, they did take a good month to accept the appeal... I also wrote them an extensive letter on it. Can't help but be a bit nervous though when it's your dream job on the line.