Anxiety hypnosis

My partner has suffered with anxiety most of her adult life, some days she can't leave the house. Several years ago she had 6 hour long hypnosis sessions with a lady she knows who is a fully qualified hypnotherapist but it had no effect at all.
My partner was actually expecting a single session, being put in a trance and told she will no longer feel anxious about stuff.
Do single hypnosis sessions for anxiety exist and do they work or is it only stage hypnosis which is single time with instant effects?

Several years ago? I'm sure that she would have noticed a positive effect sooner than that.

Cynicism aside, some are more susceptible to hypnosis than others: if it didn't 'work' then, I doubt it will now.

I have seen real hypnosis, and seen one of these hypnotherapy sessions also. I will recount both, you lot decide:

Hypnosis. When I was doing my long trade course one of the other students cut himself badly with a scalpel, blood pissing out of his hand. Wrap, pressure, raise the limb, cart him off to the Doc at the med centre. The Doc is a civvy in her 40's, nice lady, she asks matey if he wants a local before she starts stitching him up,or if he wants to go for hypnosis. He opts for hypnosis.

Me, being me, I ask if I can watch. Not a problem, apparently I can pin him down if he gets kicky, punchy whilst he is under. Matey lays back on the examination bed and she holds up a pen in front of his face and starts talking to him very soothingly. Bang, he's out cold in around 45 seconds, seriously, eyes closed and under her spell. She mouths to me "watch his eyes (his eyelids are closed)". Then she gently puts him in a scenario on a beach, crystal clear blue water, waves lapping, palm trees, then she indicates to me to watch his eyes, and she says you see a figure approaching from the right, walking on the sand, a beautiful girl, topless, walking along the beach from your right, moving forward, in front of you now, she smiles at you (the dopey git smiled at that point), she is moving to your left now, you see her behind, and she moves into the distance. During the whole moving from right to left thing I could see his eyeballs under his eyelids moving from right to left, and the dopey smile when the Doc said the girl smiled at him.

The Doc told him he was totally relaxed and just chilling on the beach, enjoying the sun. Then she put a half dozen stitches into his hand without a flinch. Told him he would wake up when she got to one after counting back from five and click he was awake. He remembered the beach and the girl as if it was a dream.

The Doc told me she had done a medical hypnosis course.

The therapy hypnosis: The person was a smoker and wanted to quit. I went along to the hypnotherapy session wanting to watch another amazing hypnosis. The 'therapist' got a bit funny about the individal wanting me to accompany them into the room, but relented. The smoker was asked to sit in chair, and the therapist basically asked them why they smoke, why they enjoy smoking, and what they get out of it. They then put it to the smoker that it was a bad thing and really cigarettes should tate bad and not be enjoyed.

None of the hypnosis skills I had seen with the Doc were on display. The smoker was not under in any way, shape, or form. They were basically just given a talking to and told to think about their actions every time they stick a cigarette in their mouth.

The same deal as listening to those self help tapes, or whatever they call them nowadays. You can do just the same to yourself by giving yourself a hard stare in the mirror along with a good self-talking to.

Last edited:

endure

GCM
I was hypnotised out of smoking in one 55 minute session. I'd been a heavy smoker for 20 years and I just stopped overnight.

I was hypnotised out of smoking in one 55 minute session. I'd been a heavy smoker for 20 years and I just stopped overnight.

Better than the dopey woman whose skills I witnessed.

I stopped one night too. I watched a TV program about the tobacco industry in which they interviewed the bloke who was the Marlboro Man. He said he was at an executive meeting of the tobacco company and during a break he pulled out a pack of cigs and offered them around. One of the senior vice-presidents said, "no thank you, we don't smoke. We reserve the right to smoke for the poor, the stupid, the black, and the ignorant".

I've never forgotten that. Screwed up my pack of R*thmans and dropped them in the bin. Tried a single ciggy off a mate 12 months later and it tasted like shit, never bothered since.

endure

GCM
Better than the dopey woman whose skills I witnessed.
I had a friend who was a psychologist who used it on his patients. He hypnotised me a couple of times so I knew that it worked and I just took it from there.

It's not difficult to hypnotise yourself but it's best not to try without being given a bit of training and instruction first.

I had a friend who was a psychologist who used it on his patients. He hypnotised me a couple of times so I knew that it worked and I just took it from there.

It's not difficult to hypnotise yourself but it's best not to try without being given a bit of training and instruction first.

She had certiicates all over her walls, but I reckon it must have been some mail order course she did.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I have seen real hypnosis, and seen one of these hypnotherapy sessions also. I will recount both, you lot decide:

Hypnosis. When I was doing my long trade course one of the other students cut himself badly with a scalpel, blood pissing out of his hand. Wrap, pressure, raise the limb, cart him off to the Doc at the med centre. The Doc is a civvy in her 40's, nice lady, she asks matey if he wants a local before she starts stitching him up,or if he like to go for hypnosis. He opts for hypnosis.

Me, being me, I ask if I can watch. Not a problem, apparently I can pin him down if he gets kicky, punchy whilst he is under. Matey lays back on the examination bed and she holds up a pen in front of his face and starts talking to him very soothingly. Bang, he's out cold in around 45 seconds, seriously, eyes closed and under her spell. She mouths to me "watch his eyes (his eyelids are closed)". Then she gently puts him in a scenario on a beach, crystal clear blue water, waves lapping, palm trees, then she indicates to me to watch his eyes, and she says you see a figure approaching from the right, walking on the sand, a beautiful girl, topless, walking along the beach from your right, moving forward, in front of you now, she smiles at you (the dopey git smiled at that point), she is moving to your left now, you see her behind, and she moves into the distance. During the whole moving from right to left thing I could see his eyeballs under his eyelids moving from right to left, and the dopey smile when the Doc said the girl smiled at him.

The Doc told him he was totally relaxed and just chilling on the beach, enjoying the sun. Then she put a half dozen stitches into his hand without a flinch. Told him he would wake up when she got to one after counting back from five and click he was awake. He remembered the beach and the girl as if it was a dream.

The Doc told me she had done a medical hypnosis course.

The therapy hypnosis: The person was a smoker and wanted to quit. I went along to the hypnotherapy session wanting to watch another amazing hypnosis. The 'therapist' got a bit funny about the individal wanting me to accompany them into the room, but relented. The smoker was asked to sit in chair, and the therapist basically asked them why they smoke, why they enjoy smoking, and what they get out of it. They then put it to the smoker that it was a bad thing and really cigarettes should tate bad and not be enjoyed.

None of the hypnosis skills I had seen with the Doc were on display. The smoker was not under in any way, shape, or form. They were basically just given a talking to and told to think about their actions every time they stick a cigarette in their mouth.

The same deal as listening to those self help tapes, or whatever they call them nowadays. You can do just the same to yourself by giving yourself a hard stare in the mirror along with a good self-talking to.
That’s a perfect example of trance and a guided fantasy. I did a certificate and then a diploma course some years ago.
You get some quick gains, others take longer.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I did really well with a guy using Heroin years ago. Desperate to stop I used hypnosis. Gave loads of suggestions he’d never use heroin again. It worked, came back saying it was fantastic, however he’d now a massive crack habit…

Latest Threads