Antique firearms shooters

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Croque_Monsieur, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know how popular this is back in ole' England, but are any other fellow arrsers who like the smell of black powder in the morning?

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

mmmmmmmmmmmm yeah! And the boom, and the ground shaking, and the looooong shove back on the shoulder . . . . and the BIG cloud of smoke. ;-)

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The smell of rotten eggs unless you are using Pyrodex and not forgetting blow tubes and clouds of shredded newspaper wadding from the BP cartridges.

4. Pyrodex?? Not letting any of that kak anywhere near my old girls, its real Swiss PB all the way, call me a snob but it is the best you can get 8)

Any favourites?

My one and only repro muzzle loader, a Baker rifle is my favourite, although you can't beat the old Brown Bess for sheer fun :headbang:

Can't really say which cartridge rifle is dearest to my heart....I have too many :oops:

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

HBSA shooters tend to use originals but the clue is in the name mainly breechloaders. Sniders etc although some early trials rifles do make the rounds.

6. Oughht to get some black powder 12 bore cartridges for my BP hammergun.

I have a muzzle loader - flintlock musket but have only fired it once. - literally! Need Black Powder and never seem to have the time.

7. Currently trying to perfect some paper cartridges for a Westley-Richards monkey-tail capping breachloading rifle. Got a nostril full of soot on my first attempts, but at least the breech stayed shut....

8. My dad uses an 1820's Charleville (converted to percussion in 1840's) on the local shoot to devastating effect. Massive cccrrrummp, a cloud of smoke and down comes a pheasant who thought he was safe cruising along at 300 feet. It's like using a Flak 88! He's tried using a Brown Bess as well, though not so successfully. You have to stay in the aim for so long waiting for the bloody thing to fire!

9. http://www.black-powder.co.uk/bp.htm

10. I know where I can get my hands on a Civil War Springfield rifle from the US. How difficult could it be to get it into this country, and how difficult will it be to find somewhere to shoot it if I did? (Or would it still be usable?)

Cheers

11. Should be any probs since it will be 1860s manufacture. Will it still be usable? Grill the seller for details on its condition and if possible close up pictures. Ultimately you won't really know what you have until it is in your hands. If the lock, barrel and nipple are fine, it should go bang.

12. Thanks for that. It's my Bro-in-law, he has a few in his attic. I'm going to try and persuade him he doesn't need them all when I go over next! :twisted: Going bang is what I'm worried it'll do! Strange as it may seem, I like my face the shape it is!

What should I be looking for? (I realise that if I have to ask that, I probably should not be considering doing anything with it other than hanging it over the fireplace!)

13. Check PM Flamingo

14. Seen an East India Company Brown Bess for sale near where I live. 39" barrel, lockplate stamped VEIC 1776, maker's name Henshaw. In decent nick, barrel still got plenty of metal and amazingly still has its sling swivels, the sears are worn though so not fireable at the moment. Is the asking price of £790 reasonable?

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not sure, check world wide arms for prices, they have a website.