Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Question101, Jan 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    Just after some advise. Long story but short version is im currently at low point in life.
    Cant seem to get over the low im in at the moment. A civvy friend who's a doc has recommend a course of antidepressants.
    I don't really want to go to the MO as im worried it will lead to me getting downgraded and booted out.
    What the score with serving soldiers and antidepressants?

Stand by for the abuse and man up advice.
  2. Lets see, go to the MO or ask the internet. What could possibly go wrong?
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Not thinking of take any pills. Just wanting to know if the MO perscibbed them to me would I face getting booted out?
  4. Go to your MO. The longer you leave it, the worse it'll get and you'll end up getting downgraded for being a mental biff anyway.

If you had a broken leg and kept running on it you'd compound it and it'd get worse, same with a broken swad.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Mate, you've reached out that's a good thing.

Go speak to the Unit Welfare Officer or MO.

Your overall health has to come first. If you get temporarily downgraded that's because you need it. If you're at such a low that you you've come on here, that's a good (if risky) thing.

Go and speak to someone in your Unit, reach out a bit closer to home.

Good luck mate.
    • Like Like x 7
  6. If you don't want to see the MO go and see the Padre as Tango Lima suggests, don't ask the internet.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. PS I got Temp Downgraded after surgery a few years ago. I was a bit bothered about it because I was coming up to renewing my contract. I recovered, physio'd got Med Boarded and upgraded again.

Speak to someone.
  8. MO. As soon as you can.
    Depending on your circumstances anti-depressants may not be the answer. I don't know as I didn't spend several years at university learning doctoring but I never took them when I had a head wobble / depression and with proper, qualified help turned it round.

Best wishes and all that
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mate, your life and health are more important than your job, career, family expectations, any of it. If this is a genuine cry for help, then seek some medical advice. If you are sometimes low, and sometimes really 'up' you could be Bi Polar.
    This isn't something to hide or take lightly, as suicide is a possible outcome if you try to ignore it.

For once, I hope this is a shit wind up.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I'd get to the bottom of your feelings rather than hit a bottle or see a doc. as soon as you do that it messes up your career.

my little brother has really messed himself up that way regards tours and postings including the 6 month jolly he was meant to be on now.

its messed him up more than the pills or the why he's taking them.

see the padre first and get involved in something to distract you.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. If you have a health condition that needs medication then surely the MO is the route to go, however maybe you do not need medication, there are ways other than antidepressants that work with depression.

Get assessed by MO and go from there, i am sure the MO is not going to prescribe medication if it is not needed, if it is required, take it, get your mood back on even keel, and please when you feel better do not just stop the medication unless advised to by MO.
  12. See PMs