Anti Virus

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Spanish_Dave, May 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I seem to be sending mass emails with a virus link to everyone in my account, I have run bit defender and ms essentials and still happening, heeellllpppppppppppppppppp

2. msr

msr LE

It's probably not you, it is more likely that someone else is infected and is using your email address in the 'from' field.

There is nothing you can do about it I am afraid.

That said, run PSI from Secunia: and ensure that all your applications are patched.

I also would not recommend running 2 antivirus products, as this can really slow your PC down and cause conflicts between them.
  3. What AV you using?
  4. msr

msr LE

Bitdefender and MSE: read the post!
  5. Secunia is ACE! I've had no issues since msr told me about that one!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. See if someone who has received it can give you the name under which it has been detected & what antvirus/spyware that they use.
    This can confirm what is being sent, and then you can use that to get the specifics.
    Also see if someone can give you the full email headers from what they have received, this can be used to trace back to whether it originated from your machine/email account, your ISPs mail server or somewhere totally different.
  7. Download Malwarebytes. Free anti malware software. You'll be amazed at what expensive market leaders miss. I use this in conjunction with MSE and now have no problems.
  8. msr

msr LE

The problem is almost certainly not on Spanish Dave's computer...
  9. yes it is avg ,and malwarebytes if that doesnt work,
    you have to start up in safemode with network then download programs and run a full scan!~!!!
  10. Email accounts are so frequently hacked that it's possible to buy lists of details of them - by the hundred - for a few pence each. Sounds VERY much as if someone has hacked YOUR account, enabling them to send out whatever crap they want in your name, and from your account. If I'm right (and I believe that I am!) then the solution to your problem is a simple one: just change the password on your email account. The moment you do so, it STOPS being "hacked". Remember to pick a new password that incorporates numbers, letters, AND UPPER and lower case characters. Conversely... try to make it memorable, so you don't forget it! A past (NOT current) phone number plus your initials (or those of someone close to you) mixing up Upper and lower case characters is a good choice.
  11. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Password changed, now sit and wait, thanks chaps
  12. msr

msr LE

I doubt it will make a difference as it is probably not that your email account has been 'hacked', but that a virus on another person's computer is simply sending out emails with your address in the 'from' field.

Viewing full headers may show you where it has come from.

13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

look for rubotted from trend, its a free tool which will scan your pc for botnets then tell you how to get rid of them.

good chance that it isnt you though, if you have ever cc's someone in and they came into contact with someone infected then your contacts get added. I know a beaver leader who thinks she is sending emails out but its someone else ghosting what she cc'd months ago
  14. I was polite enough NOT to suggest that "Spanish Dave" is the kind of idiot who uses the same login and password for EVERYTHING, and then goes and signs up with some dodgy site using the SAME LOGIN and PASSWORD as for everything else. If he WAS that stupid (and there are millions of others out there who ARE that stupid) then calling what happens to his password "hacking" would be a of an exaggeration. "Harvesting" would be more accurate. There's a wave of it going on right now (well, according to the techie Newslestter "ZD NET" there is, anyways!)

FWIW, the suggestion that you can get infected by SENDING an email is plausible only to someone who knows VERY little about computers.