Anti Virus and Security Software

What Antivirus/Security do you recommend?

• Norton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mcafee

• AVG

• Kaspersky

• Sophos

• BitDefender

• Total voters
Time for the Arrse poll on IT Security. So what do you rate? What is cr*p what would you recommend to a mate?

Kaspesky for AV and Zone Alarm for a software Firewall get my vote.

AVG and ZA! Can't beat 'em.

MsG

Anything other than Norton. I'm a bit of computer biff but couldn't uninstall it from previous now fried laptop, a complete bind.

i've also got spybot search and destroy,never had any probs with it.

got to be AVG free, AVG anti-spyware and Zone Alarm ...
All great and all free. Czech beer and czech security gotta love em!

Being paranoid i use Norton but i have found out that it slows my recently purchased monster (compared to my last steam powered at least) Pc down a bit which can be a bit of a drag wehn i'm playing BF2.

For some reason my comp doesn't like AVG or Zone alarm.

I know most people hate AOL, but if you are running it then get a bsaic McAfee AV software, and download free firewall and spyware off AOL, so you get the full package!

Talking of Zone Alarm............

I've found I have to switch it off when I want to view videos on YouTube etc.

With ZA running I can't seem to view videos on any site.

Anyone else suffer the same problem? Can anyone offer any suggestions about tuning ZA's settings to enable videos to play?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Adaware I liked, and was friendly to an old PC.
Kaspersky seemed to do the job, but only having been given [with expensive Alienware ALX] 3 months, it never warned me that it was timed out ... which has just been 3 days of dead PC [business and pleasure] thanks to a boot-sector virus [via ARRSE?].
Re-loaded bossy old Norton ... used to it, and if it keeps the sh*t out I'm not arguing. Don't love it, but it does the job.

BFG 9000 said:
I think this poll has a much better chance of identifying the best available piece of Anti-virus software if you include NOD32 in the list! :)
I would have included NOD32, PCillian, Trend, Panda, Net Protect, Bullguard, F-Secure and Zone Alarm Pro. The trouble is there just isn't enough buttons :)

AVG and get a decent router. ZA and the like are a pain in the trump pipe

I use the free McAfee from a link on here for DoD personell, and Sopfos on the lappy. Also use webroot spyware.

Since I removed Norton my pc seems like it is rocket powered, much faster!

McAfee sems fine. Never heard of AVG.

Norton is appalling. I scanned my pc with McAfee after Norton said it was clean and McAfee found half a dozen trojans, worms, you name it.

Infury8r said:
Talking of Zone Alarm............

I've found I have to switch it off when I want to view videos on YouTube etc.

With ZA running I can't seem to view videos on any site.

Anyone else suffer the same problem? Can anyone offer any suggestions about tuning ZA's settings to enable videos to play?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
I dont understand why you cannot view them. All I can think of is that you have disabled some program in ZA that you need to view these videos. They are flash, have you disabled it in ZA?

edited to say - I use ZA AVG free and AdAware SE - All free, and have NEVER had any problems.....

Never had a problem with Norton. I found MacAfee got too embeded and slowed my machine down!!!

If I'm doing something that takes a lot of power I just turn it off. It's free and I'm pikey......

As people of taste and experience have pointed out - AVG anti viral with a Zone Alarm fire wall, I also add AdAware SE to be extra sure of those pesky spybots and advertising cookies. If you can afford it go for the delux annual subscription packages.

Norton is lumbering rubbish.

AVG and a router.
And remember to find and uncheck the "Certify my outgoing mail" option in AVG so that it doesn't add an "I'm running this version of antivirus" signature to the bottom of every email you send.