Anti-soldierness, take that!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by livebythegundiebythegun, Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dont get me wrong, i am not "bigging up" war, however, and i'm SURE you will agree with me, i feel no deeper rage and sadness when some civvie fcuk prattles on that the conflict the queens forces are fighting in is unjust and a waste of time. which in my eyes means that those men, the bravest of the brave, fought and died, for nothing. which is the biggest load of shit ever thought up. so if you tire as i have, hearing these words from prople, tell them this.

"War is an ugly thing, But not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more importaint than his own personal saftey, is a misrible creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertion, and sacrafice, of far greater men than himself."

John Stewart Mill

A pearler of a qwote that i just wanted to share with you chaps.

Remember the fallen.
  2. Or just start windmilling and biting lips off.
  3. Profound there. John Stewart Mill might have been a great philosopher (I know that because Monty Python told me so) but he was obviously crap at spelling.
  4. Snigger...................
  5. Here's another quote for you "John Stewart Mill, you've fcuked up in the spelling test again, see me after class."
    His English Teacher.
  6. perhapths he hath a speech impedimenth
  7. Shouldn't that be a 'thpeeth impedimenth'?
  8. So are we saying that Barlow and his mates don't like soldiers :?
    could be a big problem as my missis likes their songs :D
  9. Thmart arthe!
  10. err, at the risk of being pedantic, John Stuart Mill....see me after class; bring a gerbil.

Mill also said that you had an obligation to cross the street to arrest someone engaged in stabbing their victim, and said that it was part of a noble education to be prepared to lay down one's life at a moment's notice for a sufficiently worthy cause. He famously responded to an angry working class mob on the hustings in the following terms.

Mob member - "Isn't it true you said the working class are liars?" [String him up, kill him].

Mill - Inveterate liars!!!!

Mob, confused....."I'll say one thing, he's got balls. GIVE US HELL, JOHN STUART!!"

He came from the sort of provisional wing of the liberal party.
  11. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I thought he was rather good in 'Below us the waves' and as the idiot in 'Ryan's Daughter'. I rather liked his daughter Hayley, too.
  12. Mills wasn't much of a drinker though....... I thank you Monty Python:

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
    On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.

the rest here:

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
    Who was very rarely stable.
    Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
    Who could think you under the table.
    David Hume could out-consume
    Wilhelm Freidrich Hegel,
    And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
    Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya'
    'Bout the raising of the wrist.

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
    On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
    Plato, they say, could stick it away;
    Half a crate of whiskey every day.
    Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
    Hobbes was fond of his dram,
    And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart: "I drink, therefore I am"
    Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;
    A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!
  13. A pearler of a qwote that i just wanted to share with you chaps.

Remember the fallen.[/quote]

That'th wite, thnigger at the thcwote'th mithqwote. Thpiteful.
  14. Headmaster approaches school pond where young JS Mill is clearly foundering in the rather deep water.

What are you doing in the school pond Mill?

I'm thinking Sir!

Good show!

Mortar Board .............. carriage!
  15. My bold, the version I remember was Schopenhauer and and I can't be arrsed to check the spelling. 40 yrs of Python this weekend, including ANFSCD - the first film and a reshoot/rehash of early stuff. I'd like to be a Lion Tamer please.