Anti-Semitism in American Air Force Academy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jun 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4091956.stm

Why has anti-Semitism so strong positions in American Army?

Democrat Congressman Steve Israel:

By contrast British army enjoys religious freedoms. Even satanist has ability to perform religious rituals of warship. Though I hope it would be not ritual launch of nuclear missile.

2. I was listening to an interesting programme on Radio 4 on this very subject last Sunday. My impression was that the problem was not anti-semitism per se, rather an intolerance of anything that differed from the very narrow interpretation of Christian doctrine espoused by a few senior people at the academy. The Christian equivalent of Wahhabi Islam if you like. You can't condemn the whole USAF for the actions of a few nutters, nor can you paint them as anti-semitic. Of course, if they were promoting Wahhabi Islam they'd have been gone within five minutes.

3. The problem is, if the Commander-in-Chief is an aggressively Christian fundamentalist, senior people with strong Christian beliefs, in positions of authority, are going to see this as a green light to impose their bigotry on others. To my mind, this sort of behaviour is no better than that of the mullahs in, for example, Iran, where religious preachers hold the real power.

4. I have some good friends in the US Military from tours in Kosovo and on TELIC, and I really believe that they have a large "fundmentalist christian" element in the US Forces, especially in their Offr Cadre. It has some advantages in that they are generally reliable and honest, but I sometimes wonder if they can operate in largely non-christian environments without some religious bias against the locals.

5. I agree of course. Religious extremists exist in any faith. So do we see in Iraq a battle between religious extremists?

6. You may have apoint there KGB, I wonder if some ofthe mistakes made in Iraq can be attributed to the personal religious bias of some officers. If an attitude of religious contempt is visible at a senior level then it's going to filter down to troops on the ground with the effect that the locals are seen as more expendable.

7. It is often difficult to look at US policy in Iraq and not come to the conclusion that they don't care about civilian casualties. The refusal to track how many for a start, their insistence on checkpoints that give their soldiers no choice but to brass up anyone who doesn't have razor sharp reflexes and so on.

8. I come from a Jewish family. I can honestly (and I mean honestly, as in I'm not-saying-this-for-public-consumption) say that I have never encountered any meaningful anti-Semitism in either the British Army* nor the police (my employer). I can't comment on the spams, obviously.

* In my TA CMS (infantry) in 1987 a regular sergeant instructor made a "Jewish Joke" which I personally found quite inoffensive. A fellow recruit (privately) pointed out to the sergeant that he knew that I was from a Jewish family. He took me to one side and apologized and said he meant "nothing by it." He meant it, too. I think he was mortified for reasons of decency and integrity (not his career). And I'm as cynical a MOFO as you'll find on ARRSE.

Well, I knew full well he didn't and said so, but I think it says a lot that in those allegedly unenlightened times a regular British Army NCO would be considerate as that of a young TA recruit's feelings.

V!

9. Puzzling general attitude, considering the Billions the US poors into Israel each year.

Yet another case of a govt operating for the govt's own needs, rather than that of the consensus of its people.

10. Just because you are a christian that doesnt make you an extremist. It is my experience that military personnel work in high risk environments and that their faith helps them through the tough times or dangers of the profession. Before you leave the wire you say a prayer for your safe return. Those that choose not to believe in a higher power are on their own.

11. tomahawk6

I don't think anyone is suggestion that christianity per se (or any other religion) is akin to extremism. Your religion is your personal belief and, to my mind, that is how it should stay. Religion ought not to be an official organ of any public body, including the armed forces. People should, of course, be given free access to follow their religion, but that is as far as it should go.

12. I recall some years ago during the US intervention in HAITI,The US commander said that US forces were on the island to "confront Satan".I didn't see him among the POWs (or is he being held at Guantanamo Bay) :)

13. As a frequent visitor to the United States, and having travelled extensively in the Midwest, all I can say is that the level of religiosity is often startling and would genuinely surprise the average Briton. I personally found it slightly oppressive in some places.

V!

14. If you knew the amount of medical care that our Army and Air Force medical personnel are providing to Iraqi citizens, you might sing a different tune. I'm not just talkng about people that have been injured by terrorist bombings or by our own troops who have made a mistake.....I'm talking about children and adults alike who got only substandard care in Iraqi facilities for years. Our orthopods are working their arsses off for the Iraqi people.

On a few occasions, there were Iraqi wounded that we "fixed" medically only to catch them later on fighting against us (they were presumed to be good guys until proven otherwise). Our medical folks are going the extra mile for our own soldiers and especially for the Iraqi people.......and sometimes unfortunately for the bad guys. :oops:

15. I'm curious to know how you were oppressed in the American midwest by religious fanaticism.