• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Anti-semitism debate, 17 Apr 18

Anecdotally, I was working out in Abu Dhabi some years ago and the camp boss seemed to have everyone on the permanent staff on a tight leash, including the locals. I asked one of the other European contractors how he could get even the Arabs to do as they were told.

"He's Palestinian."

"Oh, right. So, they think he'll go all PLO on them and give them a shoeing?"

"Sort of - his wife is Palestinian, too."

"So...? It's not like Arab men are inclined to consider what a woman thinks, is it?"

"They do when she's one of Arafat's cousins..."

Uh, no…

You rather omitted to mention the Arab league told the Palestinians to move out to 'clear the way' for the Arab armies to exterminate the Jews and then they could move back and take all the now dead Jews land too.

It suits the Arabs to keep the Palestinians 'refugees' in Refguee camps.

1) Handy schtick to beat Israel with
2) They don't want them in their countries

And Israel?

Israel has been busy rehousing its displaced Palestinians since the 70's in nice shiny new homes.
I note however you've omitted to mention that the PLO made death threats to many Palestinians who accepted these nice new homes from the Israelis.
Tell 'im Meer, tell 'im good ...

I Don't know, the Jordanians get a bit fed up of them back in 1970.....

Black September - Wikipedia

I was told, that the Palestinian keffiyeh has been black/white since then to remember the events, whereas others use the red/white kiffeyeh as national headdress. Probably a bit of post incident rationalisation.

Have to say, the Omani army have a wonderful sand/orange shemagh. I have been trying to "borrow" one since I saw a team at Bisley sporting them. Last time I was there (Oman, not Bisley), a column of vehicles passed me and I got a big thumbs up from the dude in the back of the last vehicle (shemagh'd up like a badass LRDG MoFo) when he saw my red/white shemagh tied and perched atop my sunburnt pasty head bedu style.

These ones?

Tribal one from the mountains

211962029.jpg

So you’re an Arabist and a tad upset the little guy won despite the odds... repeatedly.
Hardly. As I've pointed out, I absolutely support the right of Israel to exist, and to defend itself. I may disagree with, or think that some of the policies are counterproductive, but that's a personal opinion. My point is that you are simplifying things to a "one side good, other side bad" level that either shows a stunning lack of awareness of history, or proves that you haven't got the intellectual horsepower to cope with anything more complicated. This isn't a surprise - you're utterly convinced of your own expertise in everything else.

I do note a spectacular piece of cognitive dissonance on your part- furiously defending behaviour that you complain is unacceptable... Your personal politics are more aligned with the 1920s and 1930s Arabs - complaining about all these immigrants, they just don't fit in, convinced they're going to impose their foreign ways upon you as a traditional inhabitant, see those big cities? Ungovernable because of the strangers bringing their families across, there will be a war soon, see if there isn't...

The end of the Mandate was a bit like the Balkans, specifically Bosnia. Some bigoted twats running around, spreading the hatred, on both sides; a slow realisation that a one-state solution was less and less likely; attempted land grabs on both sides, declarations of a homeland for one side or other, war crimes on both sides. By and large, my sympathies lie with Israel because it's a democracy (rather than the tyrannies next door) - but that doesn't absolve them from criticism.

For instance, you've made a big deal about the Arab armies invading and getting a kicking in 1948 and 1973. You can argue that 1967 was just a slightly-preemptive strike during an obvious Transition To War. However, 1956 (the invasion of Sinai in support of the British French operation to seize the Suez Canal) and the 1982 and 2006 invasions of the Lebanon are cases where Israel decided to attack first, in the absence of an invasion force on the border. Terrorists who deserved a kicking, perhaps, but not an existential threat. If you doubt me, ask yourself how many Israeli civilians have been killed because Arab extremists have tried to kill them, compared to how many Palestinian civilians have been killed because the IDF struck at the Arab extremists...

If you doubt me, ask yourself how many Israeli civilians have been killed because Arab extremists have tried to kill them, compared to how many Palestinian civilians have been killed because the IDF struck at the Arab extremists...

Top tip for the irredeemably stupid Palestinians.
You backed the wrong side, the State of Israel isn't going to go away, get over it and stop annoying them.

I used to quite fancy Luciana Berger MP. I find that I am going off her a bit. Does that mean that I am becoming anti-Semitic... or gay... or perhaps both?
there's rather more of her than there used to be....

IRRC, we werent that soft on the locals while in charge on that bit of turf

Heres the bill from the Arab revolt in Palestine 1936-39

British Security Forces:
262 killed
c. 550 wounded[8]
Jews:
c. 300 killed[9]
4 executed[8]
Arabs:
c. 5,000 killed[1]
c. 15,000 wounded[1]
108 executed[8]
12,622 detained[8]
5 exiled

...and here we go round the carousel again. A thread on antisemitism is derailed into a slanging match on Israel/Palestine by way of Judea and the British empire , once more. Hating Jews seems to be the new in thing amongst the left cognoscenti; the fig leaf of anti Zionism is very convenient for them.

The poor woman is receiving death threats due to the Momentum mob enacting Corbyn's "kinder gentler politics" (sic) and putting up with Momentum's anti semitism

That and the antisemities in Labour wanting to deselect her

So it's not surprising she's put on a bit

Anecdotally, I was working out in Abu Dhabi some years ago and the camp boss seemed to have everyone on the permanent staff on a tight leash, including the locals. I asked one of the other European contractors how he could get even the Arabs to do as they were told.

"He's Palestinian."

"Oh, right. So, they think he'll go all PLO on them and give them a shoeing?"

"Sort of - his wife is Palestinian, too."

"So...? It's not like Arab men are inclined to consider what a woman thinks, is it?"

"They do when she's one of Arafat's cousins..."
Exactly how it works, it all depends on how much wasta you have

The poor woman is receiving death threats due to the Momentum mob enacting Corbyn's "kinder gentler politics" (sic) and putting up with Momentum's anti semitism

That and the antisemities in Labour wanting to deselect her

So it's not surprising she's put on a bit
ditto this one. Probably not the place for levity so shouldn't have commented.

we werent that soft on the locals while in charge on that bit of turf
When we governed vast tracts of the planets landmass we weren't that soft on any of the locals - Croke Park, Amritsar and so on...

Everyone kind of omits to mention how ‘robust’ the Arabs could be in dealing with the Palestinians.
The Jordanians killed 3,500 of them driving them out to Lebanon.

...and here we go round the carousel again. A thread on antisemitism is derailed into a slanging match on Israel/Palestine by way of Judea and the British empire , once more. Hating Jews seems to be the new in thing amongst the left cognoscenti; the fig leaf of anti Zionism is very convenient for them.
You may be right about the Nazis hiding behind concerns over Israel.

Which is of course excellent news for Israel supporters seeking to deflect criticism.