Anti-Semitic forces out to get Levy

Is there anti-Semitic component in Lord Levy case?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rather no.

• Maybe.

• Yes.

• The whole case has been forged by anti-Semites.

• Total voters
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/10/nlevy10.xml

The fightback by Lord Levy's friends continued yesterday with the Jewish Board of Deputies joining the growing clamour that the Labour peer was being undermined in the cash-for-honours affair by anti-Semitic forces.

The editor of the Jewish Chronicle, which has devoted four pages of its present issue to Tony Blair's personal fund-raiser, joined in by accusing unnamed figures in Downing Street of being happy to see the deliberate scapegoating of the "Jewish money man".

The carefully choreographed offensive came at the end of another remarkable week in the 11-month police inquiry. An emotional Lord Levy, who has been arrested twice but not charged, issued a statement condemning a series of leaks about the investigation and objecting to trial by media.
The spectre of anti-Semitism was also raised by David Rowan, the editor of the Jewish Chronicle, who said: "Some of the media coverage seems to glorify aspects of the case that are Jewish.

"Why have some newspapers informed us his middle name is Abraham. his parents were devout Jews and that he met the Prime Minister at a party thrown by the Israeli embassy?"

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Dang...I thought he was a Methodist, just goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover :twisted:

Anti-Semitism, no way. People are on his case because he is a crook and a money pimp for his slimy tennis partner, T.B.Liar. Do us all a favour Levy and spill your guts to Yates of the Yard.

There are always those who think in absolutes, be it the black activist who released the video of the cops restraining the violent, drunken women wrecking a car or those, more generally, who see that every action of justice has some alternative darker driver.

Frankly, people can be crooked - simple fact - and it would appear that Lord Levy has dropped a bollock and has been found out for it.

That these people think there is an alternative reason for Levy being persued is rather sad. Breaking the law should never be justified away by some self-denying, self-imposed persecution complex. Simple crime is rarely ever someone elses fault.

That the regular press promote this idea of anti semitic persecution about Levy is a disappointing reflection of normal working practises of the UK press. They look for the most inflammitory angle (however unlikely that it is) and then state that as gospel, digging around for the loons (in this case the Jewish Chronical) who will bite at the "injustice" of it all. It can then become a self licking lollypop. You can almost see the hands being rubbed together as the press guarentee themselves another scoop in a weeks time when they unveil the NF nazi who will give some interview about Jews taking over the UK and his actions to stop it, as justification to their original story.

Scandal, after all, sells. Justice - who is interested in that? :roll:

The Times (a paper I thought would have higher editorial standards) on the other thread quoting but one side of the debate on ARRSE about Mercer, is a very convienient case in point.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
I actually think I'm going to rephrase the question; 'Is there an anti-semitic bias in the reporting of the Levy 'case?'' As pointed out the law is 'out to get' Levy if he is guilty. I think it may be a fair point that he may be being portrayed by the media in a Chaucerian, Shakespearean, Dickensian stereotype/characterisation; then again it might be fair to say, if guilty, he's not done much to dispel it.

Ammoman said:
Anti-Semitism, no way. People are on his case because he is a crook and a money pimp for his slimy tennis partner, T.B.Liar. Do us all a favour Levy and spill your guts to Yates of the Yard.
Well said.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
I wonder whether Moses can be categorised as an anti-semite? Maybe a self hating Jew (even tho' he was a Levite)? He certainly seemed much harder in judgement on the children of Israel than most others...saving perhaps the NSDAP. Sure I can root out a suitable Talmudic reference if I try. Now I wonder if Levy owns a golden calf, literally or figuratively :plotting:

just remember that only white working class people are criminals - ethnic/religious minorities & politicians are totally innocent of everything all the time.

Nehustan said:
I actually think I'm going to rephrase the question; 'Is there an anti-semitic bias in the reporting of the Levy 'case?'' As pointed out the law is 'out to get' Levy if he is guilty. I think it may be a fair point that he may be being portrayed by the media in a Chaucerian, Shakespearean, Dickensian stereotype/characterisation; then again it might be fair to say, if guilty, he's not done much to dispel it.
Nehustan,

I understand your point. Personally I think that there is an anti-Semitic bias in the Lord Levy case. So the case has an anti-Semitic component. I thought that it is so obvious that the most popular answers to the poll's question would be 'YES' and 'MAYBE'.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Well it seems denial/de nile is not just a river in Aegypt. I wonder if Moses had to cross such a river when he came to it ;)

(did I just mix metaphors?...or does a fullstop negate? LOL :headbang: )

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wonder if anyone has checked if there were any phone calls from No 10 DS to the editor of the Jewish Council.

Ring, ring

"Hello, editor of the Jewish Council speaking"

"Hello, this is Unattributable from No 10 DS. Could you please publish a 4 page article about how Lord L is being stalked by the anti semite lobby please? There will be a drink in it for you"

Ed; "Yes, no problem. I will get someone working on it."

Unattributable "No problem, I have written it already; I will fax it to you. Can't use e-mails any more!"

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Auld-Yin said:
I wonder if anyone has checked if there were any phone calls from No 10 DS to the editor of the Jewish Council.

Ring, ring

"Hello, editor of the Jewish Council speaking"

"Hello, this is Unattributable from No 10 DS. Could you please publish a 4 page article about how Lord L is being stalked by the anti semite lobby please? There will be a drink in it for you"

Ed; "Yes, no problem. I will get someone working on it."

Unattributable "No problem, I have written it already; I will fax it to you. Can't use e-mails any more!"
Then of course there is my favourite concept of my political anthropology course, Bourdieu's 'habitus'...

'a system of durable, transposable dispositions, structured structures predisposed towards acting as structuring structures.’

Doesn't even need a form of communication. The axiom states that 'Great minds think alike'. It is likely, in all truth, that the reverse may also be true.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
In addition (and I can't remember who said this) is the saying 'The only thing required for a conspiracy is that two or more people think the same.'

KGB_resident said:
Nehustan said:
Nehustan,

I understand your point. Personally I think that there is an anti-Semitic bias in the Lord Levy case. So the case has an anti-Semitic component. I thought that it is so obvious that the most popular answers to the poll's question would be 'YES' and 'MAYBE'.
Sergey

Why do you think that?

I have pointed out before that you don't live in this country and don't experience the day to day prejudices that do occur. Your thoughts that the "Yes" and "Maybe" would be the obvious answers speaks volumes on your thoughts on your own nation's character. Please don't tar us with the same brush.

You read our press and that, as I pointed out earlier, is hardly a good start for the opinion you have given on this subject.

Could you justify your answer further?

Nobody gives a damn if Levy is Jewish or not.

He is just laying down the groundwork for his defence now that it is clear that he is destined to be scapegoted by Blair and all the vile cronies.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
in_the_cheapseats, don't you think that there is a point about the press being somewhat joyous in Levy playing out the stereotype. As you say in your own post, the press in this country are not necessarily representative of the people, so while the legal case against Levy is more than likely motivated from the position of law breaking, the media's reportage may well be utilising literary and deep routed concepts, both here and probably equally existing in Russia. They had pogroms, we had York.

I have to say, and I'm not secret in my dislike for Israel, I have been thoroughly enjoying the spectacle, knowing both Blair and Levy's position to the 'Zionist lobby'. Does that amount to ant-semitism? Well its damn close, and I'd imagine a debate over fundamentals versus degrees. That said from where I am sat, the whole episode is, as stated, thoroughly enjoyable.

The fact that Levy is of the Jewish faith is being overplayed in the media. This may be to describe his character more fully but there is a fine line between this and lurching into anti-Semitic stereotypes which don't need much elaboration! On quite a few occasions, the media has crossed this line.

Neither the cops or No 10 are anti-Semitic as such - the cops want to see him charged if guilty and No 10 want to use him as a scapegoat to avoid blaming those closer to the Dear Leader. There's nothing personal in it, unless he sings like a canary, in which case it will be personal but not anti-Semitic.

What could be described as a "Jewish lobby" (similar to the Catholic lobby which comments on same sex marriages etc) are blundering into this issue and risk being seen as trying to get Levy off the hook as a fellow Jew. No-one really wants this perception to be generated or reinforced, although there is a point about media coverage - but this does not mean Levy is being fitted up!

Levy's charitable work is praiseworthy as is his volunteer role as Middle East envoy. However, few people make millions as music promoters or raise millions as political bagmen through reliance on a pleasant personality or unimpeachable ethics. Charitable giving often sits closely with business networking although I am prepared to give Levy the benefit of the doubt and the cash he has raised or donated will have made a genuine difference to the recipients. His role as Middle East envoy is probably motivated by a combination of ego and access to power. He is unlikely to benefit from his Labour fundraising role - or to need the money - but, once more, ego and access to power are probable motivators.

Edited to add: Levy's role as Middle East envoy is entirely counterproductive, but he is after all the mouthpiece of the Dear Leader and, as such, His Master's Voice. We all know that Bliar's Middle Eastern policy is only slightly less misguided than Dubya's "Axis of Evil" mindset.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
MrPVRd said:
The fact that Levy is of the Jewish faith is being overplayed in the media. This may be to describe his character more fully but there is a fine line between this and lurching into anti-Semitic stereotypes which don't need much elaboration! On quite a few occasions, the media has crossed this line.

Neither the cops or No 10 are anti-Semitic as such - the cops want to see him charged if guilty and No 10 want to use him as a scapegoat to avoid blaming those closer to the Dear Leader. There's nothing personal in it, unless he sings like a canary, in which case it will be personal but not anti-Semitic.

What could be described as a "Jewish lobby" (similar to the Catholic lobby which comments on same sex marriages etc) are blundering into this issue and risk being seen as trying to get Levy off the hook as a fellow Jew. No-one really wants this perception to be generated or reinforced, although there is a point about media coverage - but this does not mean Levy is being fitted up!

Levy's charitable work is praiseworthy as is his volunteer role as Middle East envoy. However, few people make millions as music promoters or raise millions as political bagmen through reliance on a pleasant personality or unimpeachable ethics. Charitable giving often sits closely with business networking although I am prepared to give Levy the benefit of the doubt and the cash he has raised or donated will have made a genuine difference to the recipients. His role as Middle East envoy is probably motivated by a combination of ego and access to power. He is unlikely to benefit from his Labour fundraising role - or to need the money - but, once more, ego and access to power are probable motivators.
Seems a fair appraisal...still damn funny to watch tho' :twisted:

Nehustan said:
in_the_cheapseats, don't you think that there is a point about the press being somewhat joyous in Levy playing out the stereotype. As you say in your own post, the press in this country are not necessarily representative of the people, so while the legal case against Levy is more than likely motivated from the position of law breaking, the media's reportage may well be utilising literary and deep routed concepts, both here and probably equally existing in Russia. They had pogroms, we had York.

I have to say, and I'm not secret in my dislike for Israel, I have been thouroghly enjoying the spectacle, knowing both Blair and Levy's position to the 'Zionist lobby'. Does that amount to ant-semitism? Well its damn close, and a I'd imagine a debate over fundamentals versus degrees. That said from where I am sat, the whole epidsode is thoroughly enjoyable.
Can't say I disagree with you at watching Levy, Bliar and the rest squirm :thumleft: I do like your point about degrees rather than fundamentals and couldn't disagree with you there either. I accept that no-one has completely balanced and unprejudiced views. My own prejudice is a disliking of Labour (or more accurately Bliar and the culture of politics that he will leave as his legacy).

To you points on the press. Sensationalism is the name of the game, ordinary doesn't cut it and far more importantly to a journo - doesn't sell. Their driver is money - not moderation or opinion or truth.

Lets face it, the IQ of the majority of the population is quite happy to read scandal/gossip for dramatic effect rather than settling for the truth. Just look at the number of Hello mags and alike that this nation buys - all utter tripe but "news worthy" as well. Sad isn't it?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Well when I consider how sad it is (and not to get off topic), I tend to think what it must be like not to be able to feed and water your own children, even if you are prepared to walk 50 miles and back. Now I wonder what escape clause the Bliar has prepared for a 'get out of jail free' legacy?

(Am I a cynic?)