Anti-Depressants

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by scared_fiance, Aug 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone advise me on the likelihood of a TA soldier who is currently taking anti-depressants being mobilised?

Is someone in this position obliged to tell their unit? Would they fail a pre-deployment medical? (i.e. would it be found out before they deployed) Or would it be a grounds to appeal against deployment?

Thanks in advance.

2. what kind of anti depressants? And don't be scared.

3. I'm sure the army would mind giving a loaded weapon to someone on anti-depressants. It doesnt seem to have a suicide problem at the moment!

4. Cant remember the name off the top of my head but i know its an SSRI, does it make any difference which one? I wont find out until i get home.

5. I think that honesty is the best policy, it depends what the problem is and the medication and how both the individual & unit is with deployment. If your off your face on meds then clearly you should not be near live ammo or in any environment where split second decisons are made. If your in an admin/support role then as long as the MO and CO is happy and more importantly your fiance is happy I don't see a problem. A deployment and change of scenery and a challenge is probably far better than taking medication. Good look anyway, hope the problem is only a temporary one.

6. There are light ones and heavy ones that render you almost catatonic in a mickey mouse kind of way. 58_Pattern is totaly correct keep it open - and make sure he tells them.

7. Or if you are on light antidepressents, have you considered St John's Wort?

Speak to the person who is treating your depression about those, as I found those actually worked better than the medication I was prescribed by the GP. If they work, then you can self-medicate, as they are over the counter items, that can be bought from Boots.

I actually found this method worked for me, as I felt more involved in my own treatment. All though of course everybody is different.

Although if you do not want to go, then I would have thought that would be grounds to appeal. Although I did know an individual (a regular) who was labled 'tempermentaly unsuitable for military service', but the unit still tried to deploy him, until he went AWOL.

8. They must be light ones as she certainly isnt catatonic, but in my opinion shes not quite herself either.

To be honest with you (I dont know if you have read any of my previous posts) I really dont want her to go, this is just one of the reasons.

Im hoping to hear that this would make her unsuitable to go out, or that it would give her grounds to appeal if she is mobilised.

9. what if she is CDT'd at Chilwell?

10. Then I think that as the 'caring fiance', maybe you should sit down and have an open and honest chat with her.

11. Do they test for St Johns Wort? It's not a prescription drug, and one could always say it is a preventative measure.

12. We have had that conversation, and although she would like to go she is taking account of my concerns and says she will not go if the decision is hers. She has already asked to be deployed now though, and i am hoping that the fact she is taking anti-depressants will be enough to stop her from having to go.

13. :roll:

14. :oops: :oops: :oops:

15. Current policy recommends some limitations regarding weapons handling while a soldier is on antidepressants. Again it depends on what she's on, and her medical history and origins of the depression. Also, certain brands are 'preferred' by the Army, such as Cipramil, a widely prescribed SSRI. A sympathetic GP outside the Army would be a good first point of contact to discuss options, but some simply won't understand the predicament so it can pay to shop around.