anti depressants/depression history

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by chemtom25, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. first up I have looked on the sticky for the guidelines but I am unclear on them and I don't know if things have now changed.

after about 6 months into my first yr at uni i was struggling with the depth of study, woman troubles and other stuff, so i went to the docs n got prescribed anti depressants after a clear blood test.

was on prozac for ~18 months then paroxetine for 3 months until i wanted to come off it 3 months ago.

I wasn't depressed for the whole time, id say for 3-4 months at the start of meds, but i stayed on them cos me n the doc decided 'why rock the boat' etc whilst at uni.

sooo, im looking to join next june after graduation. will this be an instant S8 or will there be a waiting period and if so how long?

as i said i have read the .pdf's from the sticky but its not clear

*EDIT* I was reading the 'all med Q's here please' thread and thought i posted n there. apologies

2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Lol you weren't depressed - you were just pining for un-obtainable totty. Pretty sure getting laid four or five times a week would have solved the problem - ahhh youth - were we ever so young and naieve...

3. haha try 4/5 times a day, that whore couldnt get enough of it. what ran parallel with her filthy ways though was a fucked up mind.

anyway it was a serious question and I wondered if anyone has dealt with this area lately and has more info they would kindly share.

4. The people with the serious answers will be along at some earthly time of day. In the meantime, can I ask why you didn't resort to alcohol? In my experience, it's quite effective for the troubles you refer to and the Army doesn't seem to have much problem with it.

But I will warn that there'll be posters who will say that if you couldn't manage the stresses of university without drugs, how can you expect to manage the rigours of Army life? For what it's worth, I don't necessarily agree with them but the Army is risk-averse and often quite rightly so. The Army is a uniform (as well as uniformed) organisation, so don't expect your case to be considered on its individual merits.

5. i didnt say i didnt ;)

and yes i understand that viewpoint and usually agree to a certain degree but this wasnt a 'oh **** ive left the oven on.. i know, il slit me throat' thing. it was sorta lots of things building up over a few years which all came to a head at uni. why there i hear you tenderly asking - well it was my first time properly away from home, had some growing up to do and things to deal with from the past, stress of a chemistry degree, mental ( i mean properly mental bitch) girlfriend. all that crap no one cares about. anyhow its sorted now and im a stronger person for it.

6. On the off chance that this is genunine and the OP can't make sense of the guidelines and multiple threads on this very subject as well as a link to the old JSP here we go.

the guidelies are quite clear, if you have trouble with them then you may wish to reconsider any job that involves reading instructions.

however

[QUOTECandidates with a diagnosis of mild or moderate depressive episodes with good evidence of preceding stressors may normally be graded S2
    provided that the condition resolved within 12 weeks and at least 2 years has
    elapsed
    since the candidate was completely well and off all medication. Two
    episodes require a deferral of 4 years. A history of 3 episodes or more, even with
    clear stressors, indicates excessive vulnerability and these candidates should be
    graded S8.][/QUOTE]

let me make this simple if it is deemed to have been mild or moderate depression*, there was only one episode and it was resolved within 12 weeks plus you have been off medication for 2 years then you may be considered. If you had two seperate episodes (again of mild or moderate depression then you'll need at least 4 years free of medication. three episodes and you can **** right off.
    simple enough?

any self harm?

*you'll also need proof that there were 'preceeding stressors' - reasons for you becoming depressed.

edited to add, you'll have to have been declared well and off medication for two years.

7. thankyou

8. Stress of a chemistry degree? You are having a laugh I spent 3 years up in Newcastle studying chemistry & the sum total of three years throwing booze down my neck & sticking my willy into as many receptive orifices as possible. I left 20k in debt and a second in Applied Chemistry. To be honest amongst my peers (I don't have many......), those who drank seemed to do ok, those who didn't seemed to be the guys and girls who were biting their nails in the lab(!) and during exams.

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't even thought about chemistry once, other than when I've had a particularly bad hangover in the morning after a pretty long night & wondering how a big unit like me can handle less booze than my 9 stone wife. I certainly didn't use my degree in my time in the Army.

Why didn't you study Zoology? A commission in the Royal Signals beckons to budding animal botherers.

I really shouldn't worry about it, not at all, either HM Forces will take you on or they won't. You are a young lad with a degree in a worthwhile subject, the world is still very much your oyster.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ahh applied chemistry... no wonder you pissed it! ;) for what it's worth i love the lab work and find that the most enjoyable. i still have a yr left, my 3rd yr.

and yes the stress - i didnt take any gcse's or a levels. i did an access course at college, 1 yr with **** all chemistry, well abit but not enough to prepare me. so i was thrown in at the deep end and didnt have a fuckin clue what was goin on.

10. But you are managing OK now though yes?

11. yea well ive felt fine for well over a year now (funny how antidepressants have that effect eh ;) lol) but seriously.. i only came off the anti-depressants this May after the main exams. it was goin well so why change you know? in hindsight that was a mistake if its gonna cost me a place in the army. did have a resit or two tho, find out result on thursday but that shld be ok.

I just dont want this to affect the application but clearly it will. annoying but il have to suck it up if i get declined. i dont want to do anythign else tho thats my main problem with it!

12. Yes mate, you may have to suck it up. But as I said earlier, it's not worth worrying about; concern yourself more with your final year and then think about what you are going to do. You've already showed a certain amount of grit by going through a foundation course and completing the first two years at uni, the last year is mostly cruising anyway - just stay sensible, by all means bang as many crazy scutters as you can; use them, just don't get emotionally attached.

Focus on one thing at a time, juggling too many different things will usually end up with you dropping one. Don't let it be your degree, but most importantly don't let it be your state of mind.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Depression? For what? Some woman dumped you and that made you depressed? Fucks sake, man up, get pissed and move onto the next one. Jesus, are you going to go into depression when you get your first bollocking?

14. 4

easy sailor - if that's what it's down as on the doc's notes then that's what's gonna be seen by the army doc, thus not being honest on here is pointless since that's what the thread's about.

and no it wasn't just about a woman, who i dumped as it goes but i digress. it was many things which all built up.

ok sunshine? you understandings what i am sayings now yes?

15. Depression is not something to be stigmatised - you wouldn't make fun of a service colleague with an obvious injury. If you are serving, you clearly haven't attended TRIM training, and if you had you wouldn't dismiss mental illness so lightly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.