Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Anti-depressant drugs linked to dementia

I
Dementia risk linked to some medicines

The good news (I Googled the name of the drug) is that there are some antidotes...

...caffeine and nicotine being the main two.

That's me settled then.

Oddly, they may also encourage addiction to caffeine and nicotine or use of these is tied to the illness. Either that or the body craves the antidotes.
My late brother-in-law was schizophrenic from around age 20. He was on a number of drugs: anti-psychotics, antidepressants, diabetes meds, blood pressure meds and an anti-cholesterol drug. I used to visit and fill his AM/PM-Sunday,...Saturday pill case with over 200 pills. He seemed to live on cigarettes and diet Coke. His apartment smelled like an ashtray and all trash containers were filled with Coke cans. I went to many of his doctor's appointments with him. The doctors told me significant caffeine and tobacco use are prevalent in schizophrenic patients.

He dropped dead at 60 last year, apparently the voices had, once again, told him to stop taking medicine.
Sad he died but blessing really. He had a difficult life. He had been quite bright, had a BS and MS in computer science before the disease took full control. Horrible disease!

Bit ironic given that depression is often co-morbid with dementia although it is nearly always get dementia, get depressed over loss of function, memory etc, and that those on dementia are often prescribed anti-depressants,