Anti Army teachers?!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by VarSity, Jul 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A good friend of mine has been teaching for a year or so, she is a top girl and the sort of person that really does make a great teacher.

About 6 months ago she had a bit of a rage because she had the cheek to suggest the Army as a possible career for one of her students, she got pulled up by the head teacher and all sorts after a Parent actually complained!

Now she has just started at a new school and told me last night she has been told the school does not promote the military in any way shape or form, and teachers are not allowed to promote the idea unless directly questioned about it by a student!

What's all this about! Why do schools seem to be so anti military?! :?

2. Cos they're all hippy student types that have still to grow up and see the world for what it is.

Still stuck in their idealistic ways, dodging soap, wishing they could still have shitlocks in their hair, and complain that they're overworked/underpaid when they get 6-8 weeks off at half term, and all the other benefits of a civil servant.

I don't undertand why they can't promote the Army as a career path, it has more prospects, and stability than most other civvy careers......and you get to ski/skydive/canoe etc....ask Frank! He'll back me up! ;)

edited for bratty fingers

3. Because the majority of teachers don't live in the real world.* They seem to be able to promote their liberal drivel and get paid for it, after all some who join straight from uni have no contact with the world outside academia, so still have their student values. Just a shame these fuckwits are not bright or informed enough to present a balanced argument for and against to the children.

*dont' get me wrong, my dad's a teacher and I have friends who are amongst the more normal end of the teaching spectrum.

Edit. Smudge got in there before me!

4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Because most teachers are left wing wimps who are incapable of surviving in the real world and believe utopia and equality for all will come to them if they wait rather than work for it.

5. my school was pretty pro-military. I suppose that's public schools for you though...

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Mine was, but then it was a military school :) . I have previously suggested the answer to recruitment is breed our own. I'm a pads brat, and so was my dad. My step son is in and my 16 year old lad is now looking for a career in the Army with plans for Sandhurst after uni.

So fcuk these left wing hippy teachers and breed our own recruits.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Why don't you tell us which school it is, and was. We'll take it from there :twisted:

8. 2006/12/18 Combined Cadet Force Association Annual Dinner - 18 December 2006

Speech by Under Secretary of State for Defence and Minister for Veterans, Derek Twigg MP.

"At the moment around 40% of the more than 250 schools with contingents are in the State sector. We want to increase that level of participation. So that more young people can benefit from what the CCF has to offer. That is why, earlier this year; the Chancellor put his support behind expanding the CCF presence in State schools."

So that is 100 state schools where the military ethos is accepted. Interestingly any incidents of anti military "teachings" in schools are reported to our Bde HQ and followed up by the heads of sheds as part of the Army in Society initiatives.

9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Since we have some of the premier teacher training schools in my area I can offer an insight. A number of the staff at these colleges are children of teh 60's and some were teenagers at that time. They were taught by radically minded left wing, psuedo=revolutionary, Badder-Meinhof, admirers, who all had posters of Mao and Che Guevara on their walls
    The ethos at that time was that the military/industrial complex was Evil, was anti-people, and bad for the proletariat. CNd was king, the Vietnam war was galvanising student protest and the charismatic speakers who appeared at these rallies inspired and moulded the thoughts of impressionable youth. It also applies to the present government, who were mostly all of the same ilk.

There are a larger number of teachers who either passively or actively support and ensourage the armed forces, but, like our society as a whole, are the silent majority and drowned by the very vocal minority.

It is easy to tar all teachers with the same brush, but I am associated with a school that is 100% very pro military. Sadly, the military do not always do themselves favours when dealing with these supporters, and there was an incident recently, at which a Colonel Blimp type major did massive public relations damage to the image. I know the individual concerned, and he is a knob of the first order, but is just seen as a figure of authority by outside civilians.

Hearts and minds is not just a strategy for use in the field, it can and should be applied locally here too, it is easy to alienate an organisation by thoughless behaviour.

10. These bloody teachers, haveing their own opinions and ideas, really. My grandfathers didn't fight the Nazies for 6 years just so poeple were free to think as they wish and have their own opinions.

I know a lot of teachers, and people in teacher training and most of them don't give the military a second thought most of the time, just like 90% of the population of the country. When asked they normally say they are against the war in Iraq and Afghan but generally support to lads on the ground.

Of course they don't live in the real world. They just have jobs, raise their kids, pay their taxes and mortgages and generally try to do a difficult job under trying circumstances. Hell, if thats not living in the real world I don't know what is.

11. I'll go along with that, I did teacher training 79-82 and most of the younger professor types tended to the idea that the Army dehumanises and teaches you how to kill concept. They had very little idea of the wider Army and tended to think of the whole lot of us as blood-thirsty infantrymen. (Though being in the TA Infantry at the time I must admit to a teensy bit of reinforcement to this idea.)
    Plus it was seen as a bastion of right-wing traditionalist values, the very thing that they were oh so daringly challenging while not really wanting any change in their comfortable lifestyle.
    This attitude persists and I think the only way round it is to show a thinking Army to society, not just the Rambo/SAS Bravo20 books which don't help much.

12. If you can,do
    If you can't,teach.

13. Unfortunately true in many cases, I was amazed at the number of teachers who passed the course who were out of their depth in a classroom. But they towed the line in college. We who challenged the PC ideas had a much more difficult time.

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

You're shagging a teacher aren't you :wink:

15. Every day now we are bombarded with doom and gloom about the economy. Mortgages are impossible to obtain, manufacturing is in decline, redundancies are threatened and you'll soon need £lots just to fill your fuel tank to get to work - if you can afford to buy a car and tax it.

So the Armed Forces with their accommodation supplied (at cheap levels), no profit to worry about, no way will they make you redundant (we're already overstretched), and your block/MQ near work (or else you get your RESPOD) must be a terrible choice...