• US cultural domination e.g. fast food, Hollywood movies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Behaviour of Americans in general

• Leftist dislike of US capitalism

• Total voters
US foriegn policies

I'd opt for the second point and the last (even though I know I can't do that!)

There must be more to it than just foriegn policies. After all, Russia and China don't exactly have cuddly bunny-wabbit foriegn policies, but I sense no great amount of Sino or Russo-phobia in the UK.

To narrow it down is quite difficult, there are so many things to can pick up on. I have a few american friends, lived with one and did a few weeks with the US army and some of them really are the nicest people you could meet - intelligent, articulate and caring.

So I would never have a go at someone for being american before I get up on my pedestal and judge them as a person :)

Yet the way Americans act over here can be nauseating. We're generally quieter than our American cousins. American tourists are stereotyped as loud, ignorant, brash and in a competition to see who has the biggest camera (whilst japs compete for the smallest). All I can say to that is think of how Brits act as tourists in Spain etc, it's sickening.

Foreign policy - Leaves a lot to be desired. Often ignorant and arrogant. They think their version of life works best and wants to impose it on everyone else. Sometimes it's quite noble and sweet, othertimes it's cringeworthy.

Post imperialism - This gets up my nose. They came out of WWII twice as rich as they went in. We only recently finished paying off lend lease (last year I think). They used our huge financial debt to change the international currency to the dollar and force a far faster withdrawal from the empire, formenting problems in countries such as vietnam (french), india/pakistan and Zimbabwe/Rhodesia. Most people know the horrors that have gone on in those countries since. The worst part to me though is the hypocritical nature. The suez canal crisis they critised France and the UK for was almost identical to the situation in panama 35 years later, a fact which escapes the americans.

Finally on arrse there is the occasional yank who's comments are best ignored.

Oh and burn all americans on sight :twisted:

Very few British people I would say actively dislike Americans. Banter yes , genuine dislike , no.

The administration however, is a different matter.

Agreed, PTP, but the 'banter' element is often one-sided - us Brits often have a complete sense of humour faliure when the Spams have a go back.

crabby said:
We only recently finished paying off lend lease (last year I think).
Lend-Lease also involved Britain's surrender of her rights and royalties in a series of British technological achievements. Although the British performance in industrial techniques in the inter-war years had been marked by a period of more general decline, the achievements of our scientists and technologists had equalled the most remarkable eras of British inventive greatness. Radar, antibiotics, jet aircraft and British advances in nuclear research had created an industrial revolution all over the developed world. Under Lend-Lease, these inventions were surrendered as part of the inter-Allied war effort, free of any royalty or other payments from the United States. Had Churchill been able to insist on adequate royalties for these inventions, both our wartime and our post-war balance of payments would have been very different.

The Attlee Government had to face the consequences of this surrender of our technological patrimony, but there was worse to come. Congress had voted Lend-Lease until the end of the war with Germany and Japan and no longer. When the European war ended, most people expected the conflict with Japan to last for another year or so. The atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima ended that assumption. Almost within the hour, President Truman, unwillingly no doubt, but without any choice in the matter, notified Attlee that Lend-Lease was being cut off. At that time it was worth £2,000 million a year. There was no possible means of increasing our exports to the United States to earn that sort of sum. Britain was in pawn, at the very time that Attlee was fighting to exert some influence on the postwar European settlement. The only solution was to negotiate a huge American loan, the repayment and servicing of which placed a burden on Britain's balance of payments right into the twenty-first century.

Harold Wilson, Memoirs: 1916-1964

Wy wife had a (fat) American friend and 2 kids who visited from Germany, they went to london for a weekend. a couple of the comments the yank made;

Whilst visiting the Tower of London: "I'm not walking up those stairs, why haven't they fitted a lift?....

Visiting the Old Vic theatre: "Its too hot in here, don't they have air conditioning?... (She also sang along to all the songs during the my fair lady production...my wife wanted to curl up and die)

They stayed a week and drank nothing except coke, eat nothing except fast food and the minging cow had one shower all f*cking week.

Its hard not to sterotype yanks when the ones you meet are so steriotypical.

Having said that I voted foreign policy, all nations foreign policies are self centred but the septics seem to ignore, or be ignorant of, other national views and opinions.

Ex_ex said:
crabby said:
We only recently finished paying off lend lease (last year I think).
Lend-Lease also involved Britain's surrender of her rights and royalties in a series of British technological achievements. Although the British performance in industrial techniques in the inter-war years had been marked by a period of more general decline, the achievements of our scientists and technologists had equalled the most remarkable eras of British inventive greatness. Radar, antibiotics, jet aircraft and British advances in nuclear research had created an industrial revolution all over the developed world. Under Lend-Lease, these inventions were surrendered as part of
the inter-Allied war effort, free of any royalty or other payments from the United States. Had Churchill been able to insist on adequate royalties for these inventions, both our wartime and our post-war balance of payments would have been very different.

The Attlee Government had to face the consequences of this surrender of our technological patrimony, but there was worse to come. Congress had voted Lend-Lease until the end of the war with Germany and Japan and no longer. When the European war ended, most people expected the conflict with Japan to last for another year or so. The atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima ended that assumption. Almost within the hour, President Truman, unwillingly no doubt, but without any choice in the matter, notified Attlee that Lend-Lease was being cut off. At that time it was worth £2,000 million a year. There was no possible means of increasing our exports to the United States to earn that sort of sum. Britain was in pawn, at the very time that Attlee was fighting to exert some influence on the postwar European settlement. The only solution was to negotiate a huge American loan, the repayment and servicing of which placed a burden on Britain's balance of payments right into the twenty-first century.

Harold Wilson, Memoirs: 1916-1964
Quite, you've summed it up far better than I could have. My main point was that 60 years on we were still paying for WWII as well as our huge loss through our technological inventions and expertise in post war years. Out of a platoon of 43 potential 2lt yanks not a single one was aware of lend-lease. Yet of course americans are out best friends.

A point about humour as been made. You've got a point, we do see ourselves as better than the yanks, but our taking of the urine is not understood by most (most, not all) americans, where their humour hasn't even advanced to sarcasm yet. (friends vs monty python/not the nine o clock news). There is a general banter in both directions (we have strange accents, bad teeth and it always rains) but anyone who truely hates any american deserves to have their head seeing to. Remember less than 50% of them actually voted for bush!!

crabby, the point is we see ourselves as better than them with no real reason for doing so, and when they point this out duirng one of the bits of 'banter', we spit out our dummies. I've seen it many times, no doubt you have too.

It's not sarcasm the Spams don't get, it's cynicism. I'll see your Monty Python (interesting that the UK progs you mention are 20+ yrs old) and raise you Sienfeld, The Simpsons, Scrubs, Larry Sanders....

AndyPipkin said:
crabby, the point is we see ourselves as better than them with no real reason for doing so, and when they point this out duirng one of the bits of 'banter', we spit out our dummies. I've seen it many times, no doubt you have too.

It's not sarcasm the Spams don't get, it's cynicism. I'll see your Monty Python (interesting that the UK progs you mention are 20+ yrs old) and raise you Sienfeld, The Simpsons, Scrubs, Larry Sanders....
The Simpsons is ok, as for the others though.....

I've taken the piss out of yanks (not literally :) ) loads of times. "Hey mate, I like those yellow and green check trousers you're wearing"
"Do you? Thanks!"

Its their selfish foreign policy which grips my sh*t:

They 'came to our rescue' in WW2 ONLY after they themselves where attacked, and they still made us pay back every single penny we used to defeat the enemy - Selfish

They controlled the governments of south america throughout the latter half of the 20th century through illegal means for their economic and political ends with no regard to the people of these nations - Selfish

They fight their wars with an assumption that the lives of the local population are of little importance compared to American lives - Selfish

If their 'friends' do something they don't like (Suez) they will happily abandon them without a thought - Selfish

Through their ignorance and selfishness they make more and more enemies - sooner or later they will need the support of some of these nations and they will wonder why these nations wouldn't p*ss on them if their hair was on fire.

I know I wouldn't

/endrant

Whereas every other hegemon in history has practised an entirely altruistic foriegn policy, eh, IT-Guy?

Lots of people moan about the fact that the US didn't engage in WW2 until it was attacked, but at least they helped us before then. Nobody seems to point the same accusations at the Russians - Motolov-Ribbentrop pact, anyone?

AndyPipkin said:
Whereas every other hegemon in history has practised an entirely altruistic foriegn policy, eh, IT-Guy?

Lots of people moan about the fact that the US didn't engage in WW2 until it was attacked, but at least ub helped us before then. Nobody seems to point the same accusations at the Russians - Motolov-Ribbentrop pact, anyone?
Have you ever heard of a Russian saying he saved us from the Germans? No, but if he did I would believe him.

Scots

AndyPipkin said:

I've seen it many times myself and probably spat my own dummy out. I think our foreign policy has been well thought through, kind and considerate in direct comparison to that of the US!! I think what americans see as normal chat the UK see as bragging, this gives the feeling that we're better than them merely by staying silent.

I think most recent comedy is shocking, the funniest thing I saw recently was a tourettes documentary!! Go back to Blackadder etc and it's a totally different story. The simpsons is brilliant, I don't rate the other programs you list. They're too... blatant? (coming from someone who used to enjoy "bottom" :p)

Another aspect is "american imports" to this country. We get their fast food outlets, their blockbuster movies and read about how many more of them are fatter compared to us and it gives us that fuzzy feeling inside. Some British film making is truely brilliant but can only work in the UK as it deals with issues this country went through and how it dealt with them (miners strikes etc). Because we only get some of everything america is about again it makes us feel better.

I would still argue that in many ways we are better, but to take that out in serious insults is stupid and the people should go home and have a good think about what they said. To brand all americans terrorists is to brand all armed forces personel as steely eyed baby killers. The people making these comments are as ignorant as the they think the people they are insulting are (complicated sentence, sorry).

Yes, Scots, but they only did it because they were attacked. Before that they were quite happy making an accomodation with Hitler to carve up Poland and invading (not particularly successfully) Finland.
Anyway, this is going way off topic.