Anthrax Jabs and failed pregnancies?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 29, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/content_objectid=14000046_method=full_siteid=106694_headline=-SCANDAL%2DOF%2DTHE%2DANTHRAX%2DBABIES-name_page.html

I know the source is the Sunday Mirror, therefore to be regarded with some caution, but are we seeing the beginnings of another GWS scenario?

2. I would be very wary of giving credence to a scare mongering story from the Mirror.

A couple of thoughts: the Anthrax vaccination has been in use for over 30 years with vets (male and female) without reported side effects and it would seem strange that the reported problems are centred on one unit - perhaps there is another reason for the problems.

It is also irresponsible to raise a fear in those others who are pregnant and, assuming they are POTL pregnancies from TELIC 1, are coming to the end of their term.

3. Sounds like a heap of krap. One unit and the ONLY connection they can find is the Anthrax injections?

It would be too much to ask for the Sunday Mirror to have done any research before writing the story and needlessly worrying any other expectant families who had the injections. Worry which quite possibly bring on the very problems that they are mentioning.... Time to sue the Mirror?

At the end of the day, with the int we had at the time (good or bad, it's all we had at the time) you'd have been daft not to take all the protection from anthrax that was on offer. Some did refuse and I thought they were all barking!

There's enough real news at the moment why doesn't the Sunday Mirror go and report on that rather than making things up and scare mongering? There's only one thing worse than a jerno, and that's a krap jerno, but not by much.

4. There could be something in it, I had my jabs in Jan 91 and in all this time I have never fallen pregnant :D

5. The problem with the anthrax jabs is that the army does not as far as I am aware (and I did do some research) administer them in the same way as a vet (say) would have them done. Said vet would also not have a whole batch plus anthrax dumped into their body on a single day. Said vet would not then combine said jabs and a course of NAPS tablets.

So the fact that the vet has no problems tells you nothing about whether or not the soldier will or won't. What I'd like to see is a proper study looking not at the anthrax jab in isolation - but at the effects of mixing it with all the other things that the squaddy is exposed to on ops.

After all, it could be the result of exposure to all sorts of other things, or the combination. Remember, the MoD are the organisation that swore blind that no soldiers were exposed to organo-phosphates in GW1 - until the proof emerged at which point they had to admit it. Maybe it was those again or something else ?

Don't forget as well that the anthrax jab takes at least two injections six months apart to be effective - and this needs to be tested for and boosted if necessary - anyone have this done ? And finally the strain of anthrax most likely to be weaponised is not the one the UK vaccine protects against - bet the MO didn't point that one out.

As far as I can tell (and I have tried to dig into it) the vaccine is more of a figleaf than anything else, something to make us feel better. It has not been shown to be safe when used in the way it is given to soldiers. It has not been shown to be dangerous either - no research has been done. Personally I'd say no thanks and take my chances with the alleged WMD.