Anterior Cruciate Ligament ACL

Will the above injury absolutely permanently exclude me from successful application to the Army? Obviously the official line is YES but I have read on these boards (and elsewhere) that exceptions can be made on appeal. Do you have any experience, or know anybody with experience of this situation? I had the operation 2 years ago and have fully (playing sports again) recovered.

Ta

I daresay if you can prove to them that your knee won't go *twang* in the middle of a sandy hellhole in Afghan under fire with the need to piss off quickly, then there should be no reason why your application would be refused.

hello,

i am in the same boat as you, had an ACL reconstruction in 2002 following a rugby injury. i am currently going through the officer recruitment process, I have passed the briefing and am heading to the main board at some point soon. according the bumpf i was sent, one ACL repair is allowed, however you will enter the army as a medical risk.

couple of disclaimers, i do not know if the process is similar for soldier recruitment, and what i have typed above is from memory, i can dig out the literature and type it up if you'd like more clarification!

cheers,

conga fury

Bent my knee the wrong way a lot of years ago while at Brecon.

Duly fixed and rehab'd to death.

I was led to believe that as long as the joint was "Fully Stable" you were alright.

Haven't seen either set of medical requirements but ask and save any grief.

Hello,
I just recently had my application rejected for the raf because of the op i had. I have been tryin in vain to search for hope or of a way to get around this. I just read your message you sent about being aloud 1 acl op. Can you tell me more? Im desperate to get in either the raf or the army. Thanks for your time