Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ant Middleton forced to resign from chief cadet role over BLM tweet

e2a: the shadow rank thing is quite odd/interesting. Off you go down the rabbit hole, your MCM div basically promote you based on time, whereas over in the Regt they run their own scheme.
So more often than not, when you return to your original arm or corp you will have been promoted and need to update your tailoring.

It was as much to do with the pension on departure from the military. The Regiment were upfront enough at the 5/6 year point to advise - " if you stay, you are highly unlikely to be promoted beyond your present rank, (invariably JNCO), however, when you return to your parent unit you'll be 'x' rank and on a much better pension run ". Some Sqn. Cmdrs and SSMs didn't phrase it so diplomatically as one or two authors have subsequently remarked.

What your referring to, is the media rushing to the defence of slipshod language, from a person or organisation it is fond of.. Absolutely, if middleton had labelled the EDL, or football lads alliance, or even brexit voters, then somebody important on twitter and/or the guardian, would have offered heavy support and he would probably have had to apologise, without losing the job.

Step away from the accepted narrative and its no apology will suffice and no mercy for the ideological impure.
Creative writing course coming along well.

I don't really have any strong opinions for/against middleton, but don't much like the idea that someone can lose a job over something so trivial. That it barely equates to one of those embarrassing office nights out back in the day for many people.

We live in very odd times, where the loudest voices against judgementalism, also happen to be the most judgey i.e. woke warriors.
It's not a job dafty, it's a role, which requires role models.

I like your hat tip to mentalism.....your pet hobby.

Dredd

LE
There's nothing unusual in that; at the time he was serving at Hereford Bootnecks joining 22 from Royal (and the RAF) had to have a parent regiment in the Army and unsurprisingly the vast majority joined the Parachute Regiment. The various operational honours lists often listed as 'Parachute Regiment many guys who had never worn a maroon beret.

Why would you want to downgrade from green?

* looks sharpish for cover *

He should start posting rants about middle class white Karen’s and he’ll have a job at the BBC in no time.
Is that called “doing a Frankie Boyle“? Similar to going through your jokebook crossing out “Downs Syndrome kids” and substituting “Boris”, “Trump” and “Tories”. Bob’s your uncle- instant rehabilitation and a welcome back from the brink of the wilderness with a new BBC show.

needlewaver

War Hero
It was as much to do with the pension on departure from the military. The Regiment were upfront enough at the 5/6 year point to advise - " if you stay, you are highly unlikely to be promoted beyond your present rank, (invariably JNCO), however, when you return to your parent unit you'll be 'x' rank and on a much better pension run ". Some Sqn. Cmdrs and SSMs didn't phrase it so diplomatically as one or two authors have subsequently remarked.
Barring injury or disciplinary dramas, do many blokes voluntarily RTU? I only as as we had a guy from the RAMC go through nearly twenty odd years ago who had been an operating department practitioner before attempting Selection.

I can’t imagine working that hard to attain what they do, only do go Nah, stuff it, I’ll go back to mess tin repairs.

Barring injury or disciplinary dramas, do many blokes voluntarily RTU? I only as as we had a guy from the RAMC go through nearly twenty odd years ago who had been an operating department practitioner before attempting Selection.

I can’t imagine working that hard to attain what they do, only do go Nah, stuff it, I’ll go back to mess tin repairs.

Back in the day for the SBS it was “just a draft“ and the RM “career managers” reserved the right to send you back to a normal Cdo unit. Duncan Falconer’s book praises this, as it meant that they could “decompress” a little bit in a Unit that wasn’t running hot.

needlewaver

War Hero
Back in the day for the SBS it was “just a draft“ and the RM “career managers” reserved the right to send you back to a normal Cdo unit. Duncan Falconer’s book praises this, as it meant that they could “decompress” a little bit in a Unit that wasn’t running hot.
Funnily enough, I enjoyed Falconer’s book in the main, apart his constant bitchwailing about the SAS, and the fact says he went SB straight from training. Was/is that a thing? I’m in no position to black cat him, I’m just surprised that was permitted even when he went through.

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
Here he is going semi commando.
View attachment 495970
Live by the media die by the media, who was he again?

Love the fact that naturally he has a considerable amount of grey hair and beard, yet on the tele it’s jet black!

First noticed this on that programme he did in a boat recreating Captain Bligh...as time progressed his beard got more badgery.

I have facial pubes, that are silver foxey but would never die it...seems a bit mincey to me.

Off you go down the rabbit hole, your MCM div basically promote you based on time

When I went for pilot training I was a Lcpl but had completed Junior Brecon. Local Sgt during the flying course and Acting on completion. About a year later I was on duty out of St Angelo in Fermanagh when my Flight Commander called to say they’d had a signal from Inf records and the Parachute Regiment had give me substantive rank. I was gob-smacked! “When you get back tonight” he continued “don’t sign in, to straight to the bar and we’ll be waiting for you to buy the first round”

“No problem” says I.

I get back and straight to bar where I get the drinks in and corner my FC. “I can’t understand how I would get sub Sgt” says I. “Who said anything about Sgt?” Says he.

I’d got my full screw.

Oh how they laughed.

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I enjoyed Falconer’s book in the main, apart his constant bitchwailing about the SAS, and the fact says he went SB straight from training. Was/is that a thing? I’m in no position to black cat him, I’m just surprised that was permitted even when he went through.

Pass - but losing divers all of stripes to the North Sea over the 80s was deffo a thing.

NSP

LE
Either gay or narcissistic or both.
As he's married to someone called Dan Neal you would be correct in at least one assumption.

Last edited:

arcticfox042

War Hero
Going straight from training to selection is not done now, but the SBS option is open to all three services now not just Royal.......

I thought that all ORs started off as troopers once they'd been badged? Is that correct? It must be financially damaging to pass selection as (say) a CSgt and get dropped to the bottom rung. That can't be right surely? I did ask once and was told 'It's complicated.' - as this thread bears out.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I thought that all ORs started off as troopers once they'd been badged? Is that correct? It must be financially damaging to pass selection as (say) a CSgt and get dropped to the bottom rung. That can't be right surely? I did ask once and was told 'It's complicated.' - as this thread bears out.
I think there's all kinds of X factors and such like built in

Latest Threads