Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ant Middleton forced to resign from chief cadet role over BLM tweet

I’m instinctively wary of people called Ant.

Nobody was called it 15 years ago. At some point quite recently they’ve decided that Anthony or Tony isn’t down with the kids enough and have reinvented themselves.

In other words, they are probably shallow and self-absorbed.

Of course, it could just be Blair’s fault. I too would have distanced myself in anyway possible if I had been a Tony.
Likewise, anyone called Donald who call themselves 'Donny'.

Rooper

War Hero
RM Sgt to PARA WO1? More to that than meets the eye...

There's nothing unusual in that; at the time he was serving at Hereford Bootnecks joining 22 from Royal (and the RAF) had to have a parent regiment in the Army and unsurprisingly the vast majority joined the Parachute Regiment. The various operational honours lists often listed as 'Parachute Regiment many guys who had never worn a maroon beret.

I’m instinctively wary of people called Ant.

Nobody was called it 15 years ago.
I beg to differ.
As does Ant (and Dec)
ant_and_decs_saturday_night_takeaway_sr1_375677861_650995991-scaled.jpg

And Adam Ant
download.jpeg

There's nothing unusual in that; at the time he was serving at Hereford Bootnecks joining 22 from Royal (and the RAF) had to have a parent regiment in the Army and unsurprisingly the vast majority joined the Parachute Regiment. The various operational honours lists often listed as 'Parachute Regiment many guys who had never worn a maroon beret.
I always thought that it's SAS officers who are gazetted Para - regardless of parent unit. I don't know about WO1s - but logic would suggest the same. Everyone else is gazetted to parent unit/service. Are non-Army 'blades' now automatically parented with the Parachute Regiment for admin purposes?

I was thinking along the lines that having role models who can articulate their opinions as well as you have would be prefereable to those who drop a quick 'scum' tweet. Maybe I'm expecting too much.
I don't really have any strong opinions for/against middleton, but don't much like the idea that someone can lose a job over something so trivial. That it barely equates to one of those embarrassing office nights out back in the day for many people.

We live in very odd times, where the loudest voices against judgementalism, also happen to be the most judgey i.e. woke warriors.

syrup

LE
I always thought that it's SAS officers who are gazetted Para - regardless of parent unit. I don't know about WO1s - but logic would suggest the same. Everyone else is gazetted to parent unit/service. Are non-Army 'blades' now automatically parented with the Parachute Regiment for admin purposes?

Didn't Chris Ryan go the same way IIRC
Started off and TA SAS then went regular so had to have a "cover" Regiment.
Went off did P Coy and went and did selection but was on the books as Parachute Regiment.
It's been a while since I read his book but I'm sure he said there was at least 2 of them followed that route.

I don't really have any strong opinions for/against middleton, but don't much like the idea that someone can lose a job over something so trivial. That it barely equates to one of those embarrassing office nights out back in the day for many people.

We live in very odd times, where the loudest voices against judgementalism, also happen to be the most judgey i.e. woke warriors.
To be fair I think it was the final straw, he has a tendency to spout off on Twitter then delete It, just look for his Covid-19 rant.

Went off did P Coy and went and did selection but was on the books as Parachute Regiment.
It's been a while since I read his book but I'm sure he said there was at least 2 of them followed that route.

I worked with chap, started out RM, then wanted to join the SAS (not SBS, which caused some face pulling) and long story short had to leave the navy and join the Army and into the SAS he went.
However if he had got RTU'd before going permanent cadre, he would have gone "back" into the Paras, as a WO2.
(theres a whole shadow rank thing that goes on).
Imagine explaining that..... you just rock up one day at a Para Batt as WO.
"Hello mate, so which P coy were you on?"
errrrrrrrrrrrrr

A different case. He was arriving into 'Regular' service from a reservist unit. As it was he chose the Parachute Regiment safe in the knowledge that it was for only a relatively short time frame before returning to Hereford. From there one has to mind their standards as it will take a further 6 years ( or it used to be. I'm not current ) to be " permanent cadre" in the SAS.

I worked with chap, started out RM, then wanted to join the SAS (not SBS, which caused some face pulling) and long story short had to leave the navy and join the Army and into the SAS he went.
However if he had got RTU'd before going permanent cadre, he would have gone "back" into the Paras, as a WO2.
Imagine explaining that..... you just rock up one day at a Para Batt as WO.
"Hello mate, so which P coy were you on?"
errrrrrrrrrrrrr

A variation of that was around 1986 when 4 or so RM's who had spent a number of years at JACUNI were badged into the Regiment as SNCO's and despatched to the Reservists. They were top lads, however the Reservists had other views when it became known that they hadn't arrived there as PSI's via the usual route.

Invariably those returning to their parent unit arrive in the next rank up from their 'shadow rank' as a general rule. Your friend must have gone through selection as a SNCO.

ipso_facto

War Hero
No I didn't actually. I bought Jason Fox's book to take on my hols to Greece last year, and Middleton's book was on the book swap shelf by the bar. I swapped his for Fox's and put it back when I had finished it.

The bio stuff was quite interesting, but the little soundbites at each chapter about being your best and pushing yourself, were frankly quite vomit inducing

His books are for a civvy audience. The usual format; bad, rebellious boy but the army sorted him out. Throw in some soul searching, good looks and voila we have a civvy star with sex appeal.

I think he momentarily forgot civvy sensibilities with his tweet. As they say you can take a man out of the army but you can't take the army out of a man.

Last edited:

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
His books are for a civvy audience. The usual format; bad, rebellious boy but the army sorted him out. Throw in some soul searching, good looks and viola.

Snip
I was t aware he joined as a musician

Invariably those returning to their parent unit arrive in the next rank up from their 'shadow rank' as a general rule. Your friend must have gone through selection as a SNCO.
He may have been an NCO, but I cannot be sure (you know how it is).
You are close on Permanent Cadre, it was 5 years, or it certainly was circa 2010.

I also worked with another chap who had started in the SAS(R) then gone Regular SAS spent a 20+yr career there.
He was essentially the oracle when it came to the history of the regiment. It was a real privilege to work with him, he was utterly professional and very very interesting.

He also had very clear views about Mr McNabb and the writing of books (basically you don't).
It was a little bit frosty when they met up on a project we had on the go.
Awkward........

e2a: the shadow rank thing is quite odd/interesting. Off you go down the rabbit hole, your MCM div basically promote you based on time, whereas over in the Regt they run their own scheme.
So more often than not, when you return to your original arm or corp you will have been promoted and need to update your tailoring.

Last edited:

Latest Threads