Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another WWII veteran leaves us

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
A WW2 veteran, whose parachute jump to mark the 75th anniversary of a major wartime operation went viral last year, has died at the age of 97.

Sandy Cortmann, from Aberdeen, made an emotional return to the Netherlands to commemorate the anniversary of Operation Market Garden last September.

He was just 22 when he parachuted near Arnhem in 1944, before being taken prisoner by the Germans.

Can't be many left now I wouldn't think.

I was on Ginkelsheide when he jumped last year. This year most of the annual commemorative events have been cancelled, or probably-cancelled, due to the virus panic. In a normal year, a week or so before the events on Ginkelsheide there would be a walk from Oosterbeek round the DZs, and any veterans present were guest-of-honour (ie. not forced to take part!). I've been doing that walk for the last twenty years or so and the numbers of special guests have been, inevitably, decreasing noticeably for the last few years. Next year's commemorations, if they go ahead due to virus or economic reasons, will be quieter again. RIP etc.

A WW2 veteran, whose parachute jump to mark the 75th anniversary of a major wartime operation went viral last year, has died at the age of 97.

Sandy Cortmann, from Aberdeen, made an emotional return to the Netherlands to commemorate the anniversary of Operation Market Garden last September.

He was just 22 when he parachuted near Arnhem in 1944, before being taken prisoner by the Germans.

Can't be many left now I wouldn't think.

Still probably over 100,000 of them bimbling around according to the age stats.

If anyone can see video on the Facebook social-media site (I know, my apologies) this is a link for a short video of the jump at Ginkelsheide that he made last year. Note that he uses a wheelchair to get around, but still jumped (tandem freefall). He didn't stop grinning afterwards and the other vets looked seriously jealous!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I was on Ginkelsheide when he jumped last year. This year most of the annual commemorative events have been cancelled, or probably-cancelled, due to the virus panic. In a normal year, a week or so before the events on Ginkelsheide there would be a walk from Oosterbeek round the DZs, and any veterans present were guest-of-honour (ie. not forced to take part!). I've been doing that walk for the last twenty years or so and the numbers of special guests have been, inevitably, decreasing noticeably for the last few years. Next year's commemorations, if they go ahead due to virus or economic reasons, will be quieter again. RIP etc.
Aye, but something will remain there for all of us to thank them for
Our Freedom

Chef

LE
WW2 was put on too early, if they're done it 20 years later these veterans would still be with us.

Bad planning.

You haven't thought this through:

They'd have been too old to join up and then we'd have no veterans at all.

Serious head on. I'm just glad they were there.

ETA Is there an age limit on jumping?

I think it is 16+ in this country.

Sorry, sorry top end used to be dependant on a Drs signature so in reality it cost a bottle of Single Malt.

Chef

LE
I think it is 16+ in this country.

Sorry, sorry top end used to be dependant on a Drs signature so in reality it cost a bottle of Single Malt.

Thanks for that.

I'd give you a funny for the single malt.

Re: the bolded text. Sandy Kortman was 96 and wheelchair bound when he jumped last year, so . . . .

Latest Threads