Another what watch thread....Sinn watches

My divorce just completed last week and I'm treating myself to a Seiko SKX007 as a pressie.
I'd go for something more extravagant, but almost two years of legal bills leaves me having to be a little frugal.
Still, it's a classic and I'll get it modded in due course to make it 'mine'.

View attachment 335392 They also do a 36mm version, the SKX013, but I have huge wrists and it would look stupid.
I bought a Seiko dive watch when they launched them in the mid '90s under the name "Kinetic". It's still going strong, my dad's weraring it now & he loves it. Stylish, robust, reliable & an excellent timekeeper.

Had my Seiko lifted when grabbed by rebels/bandits in the Sudan. Bit pissed off about that as it was a gift from the parents on my 21st birthday.

Wore a dodgy Russian self winder for a while then replaced it in Singas with a Citizen EcoDrive Titanium Aviator which has lasted me well for a number of years. I see on their web site they no longer make the Aviator for some reason, probably due to complaints from kiddies confused by the rotary slide rule.

Pity. Will have to look elsewhere if I ever need to replace it.

ETA: Found it on the US site. It appears the local agent thinks Saffers are too dumb to appreciate the good stuff.

Last edited:
Here's a pair of mine, I have a few Seiko automatics and a couple of kinetics in my collection, but these are my favourite and a joy to have on my wrist. The Omega Seamaster 300m auto was sent to Omega for servicing for 4 months earlier this year, slightly expensive (£415) but worth the effort. I really did miss having that weighty watch on my wrist. The older Omega automatic dates from 1966, it was my father's watch, View attachment 335413 View attachment 335414 has never been serviced and still keeps time. It will go for a service and a new crystal when my wallet will stretch to it. I'm looking for some parts for the original steel strap (Beads of Rice style) and will fit that when I have the right parts.
I have a Seamaster 300m auto as my daily wearer, it's brilliant. When I bought it it was a watch that looked better than a Submariner, matched a Submariner's performance & cost a third of the price.
My back up is a CWC RN diver's quartz on a NATO strap. I wear that when I fancy a change but the Omega is my favourite - tough reliable, looks good with everything...

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Had my Seiko lifted when grabbed by rebels/bandits in the Sudan. Bit pissed off about that as it was a gift from the parents on my 21st birthday.

Wore a dodgy Russian self winder for a while then replaced it in Singas with a Citizen EcoDrive Titanium Aviator which has lasted me well for a number of years. I see on their web site they no longer make the Aviator for some reason, probably due to complaints from kiddies confused by the rotary slide rule.

ETA: Found it on the US site. It appears the local agent thinks Saffers are too dumb to appreciate the good stuff.

Try a thing called Creation watches. That’s where I was getting my citizens from. (and regular replacements when I developed a hobby of destroying watches)

Cheers, just had a look on there but they don't have the one I'd like.

No worries. This one is still going well, touch wood.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Well I went back to the Banardos charity shop, and the price on this is £189, seems that they are a donation there are 3 Sekio of various types (with user manuals)

They tell me that when stuff like this comes in, they phone a head office and they stipulate the price to put on item, if it is not sold by Friday then they have to put it on ebay

I expect that as a charity they get a discount from ebay / paypal

So £189 for a watch that has come in off the street, I would soon pay a bit more and get a watch with a guarantee

Watch.jpg

Well I went back to the Banardos charity shop, and the price on this is £189, seems that they are a donation there are 3 Sekio of various types (with user manuals)

They tell me that when stuff like this comes in, they phone a head office and they stipulate the price to put on item, if it is not sold by Friday then they have to put it on ebay

I expect that as a charity they get a discount from ebay / paypal

So £189 for a watch that has come in off the street, I would soon pay a bit more and get a watch with a guarantee

View attachment 335488
That kind of thing pi**es me off. I see it quite a bit where people ask almost full whack for a very used item where you can buy a newer model for almost the same amount or less.
Ebay and graphics cards is a good example of this.

Had a look in a local Charity shop, (Banardo`s) I see that they have some £200 ish watches, mainly Sieko

Saw a nice Sieko Kinetic Divers watch - W2496

What price should a pre used be.

What is the number is that a model number !

Archie
Check the dealers on thiefb@y that'll give you a good indicator of prices.

I ordered the Sinn 104 in the end, I should get it by the end of the month. :0)
Nice.

Sinn were allowed to use the GSG-9 name for a while and the lad's were issued with the watches for a while. They are still worn by some of the older generation of Bundespolizei operators and even some of the older KSK SNCO's. The younger generation preferring the Suunto digi-whizzy-fig-GPS-I'm not lost-watch.

....and it tells the time too? Beautiful watch but too busy for me - I've always looked at a watch to see how late I am or how long I have so a quick glance at the hands. I couldn't cope with the Citizen. Mind you I don't get on with digital watches for the same reason. I still have my old Casio though.

Sold all my watches last month I use an Apple Watch but only because I live in the 21st century and I can make phone calls on it like a Dick Tracey (without the Tracey)

....and it tells the time too? Beautiful watch but too busy for me - I've always looked at a watch to see how late I am or how long I have so a quick glance at the hands. I couldn't cope with the Citizen. Mind you I don't get on with digital watches for the same reason. I still have my old Casio though.
I like the titanium build. They have other EcoDrives in titanium that are not as busy. Funny thing is I find myself using most of the features at one time or another.