Another 'What Boots' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

W21A

War Hero
Book Reviewer
They look like they would be smart enough for me to get away with as work shoes. Do they provide any sort of decent ankle support?
Some, if ankle support is the main criteria then they are probably not your first choice. There are a few Bobbies on here who recommended them and I use them in winter to walk to work through parkland and roads.

If ever they mistakenly send you a pair in size 11, drop me a line. I've got a couple of battlefield tours and the Cateran Yomp coming up next year.

Big fat hairy chance. Still trying to con the jammy bugger into redirecting a pair of size 14s to deepest darkest.

As stated earlier, boots are a very personal thing. I tried some Merrell walking shoes but could not get comfortable with the shape (as distinct from size) as I found that they cramped my big toe. I have the same problem with some well known makes of safety boot and am consequently picky about my footwear.

I had a pair of Zamberlan Treklites that lasted ages and ended up simply buying the newer version, it's that kind of thing.

For mucking about on local tracks I tend to go for Grisport Dartmoor (on my second pair). The only comment I would make is that they continental sizes so if you want to wear thick socks, go for the next one up.

That is a bit strange, I agree.

But the reason I bought my (normal) boots there is because I've always had trouble finding boots in my size (6), but army boots are always available and they fit. It saves me having to go either to the women's or the children's department in shoe shops. Not the least reason being that those two categories are where shoe/boot manufacturers make the most money and, as such, are correspondingly expensive.

MsG
Children's shoes are VAT exempt in the UK and cost proportionately less.
Once you reach "adult" sizes the 20% VAT is straight on the top

Boys - shoe size 6½ girls or unisex - shoe size 5½
VAT notice 714

So if you take a 6.5 you could buy shoes intended for kids and save 20% VAT.
As both my own kids were over the VAT size at age 13 this was a bit of a pi55er for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with Timberland, if you want something non military and non hiking that looks okay in town and down the pub as well.
Erm, nope. Chavs have infested that brand.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Children's shoes are VAT exempt in the UK and cost proportionately less.
Once you reach "adult" sizes the 20% VAT is straight on the top

Boys - shoe size 6½ girls or unisex - shoe size 5½
VAT notice 714

So if you take a 6.5 you could buy shoes intended for kids and save 20% VAT.
As both my own kids were over the VAT size at age 13 this was a bit of a pi55er for me

As usual @DaManBugs talking bollocks
What a very sad and desperate gobfück you are, Dork_Shit! You're attempting to turn a reasonable and sensible thread about footwear into yet another of your singularly obsessive threads about me. Why? Just what is your problem, fella? Answer with a PM to avoid further derailing the thread with your personal issues, please.

MsG

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, by your own admission, you do have size 6 pixie feet, not very common in an adult I would think.
We're getting off the subject again and onto something much more personal, so why do you consider my size six "pixie feet"? It's a fairly normal size in the south of Italy or Japan, so why "pixie", in your estimation?

Do you actually know how the shoe sizes in the UK came about? Well, let me teach you something.

When it was realised that there are different sizes of feet, folks started to think about what they could do to accommodate that. So they came up with a system in the UK that foresaw that there'd be a progressive increase (or actually decrease) in size by a measure of one barley-corn (about one-third of an inch) per size, with 12 inches being the largest size of foot they could imagine at the time (given the comparative size of folks at that time). That's actually twelve inches - or one foot, would you believe? I'm sure you can imagine the rest.

So my shoe-size (size 6) is five barley-corns smaller/shorter than the 11h Century norm of 12 inches (a foot). I'm devastated!

MsG

Had my Altberg Peacekeeper P1 boots for 12 years now & they're like wearing gloves.
If they die before I do, I'll buy another pair.

ugly

LE
10 minutes I'll never get back thread tidying. The next person who is silly gets a thread ban at the very least. Play nicely or I will take away the toys, you have been warned.

So, people, I have a boot-related dilemma.

Him indoors has a pair of very old, very polished, lovely boots that he has worn daily for about 12 years. They are now a little leaky and split at the back despite layers of Cherry Blossom and Kiwi. He doesn't complain but winter's coming on and he does need dry feet when walking the dog over hill and dale. I thought a nice new pair would be ideal for a Christmas present.

I understand that Boots NI, Boots DMS and Boots Combat High, all of which he has mentioned wearing in the past, are no longer available to purchase, and for walking a Labrador they are a tad OTT as he's too old now to be recalled for Military Service. I've looked at the various boot reviews here, as well as @Ravers' wonderful thread about Gore, but really have no idea what would suit, how to buy, whether they would swap if the size wasn't quite right, or how to make this idea actually turn into a beautifully wrapped gift on Christmas morning.

Any recommendations as to boots, retailers or other information, would be most welcome please and thank you.
Hi,

I've got a pair of Bates Tactical, good support and have lasted me a good while. Keep this to yourself, Work bought me them when I needed replacement boots. The Bates boots have never been worn in Work lol

ugly

LE
Hi,

I've got a pair of Bates Tactical, good support and have lasted me a good while. Keep this to yourself, Work bought me them when I needed replacement boots. The Bates boots have never been worn in Work lol
Very similar to the Steitz boots I keep for the farm, low ankle and high leg, all with cusion inserts in the heels and a gore tex liner. Yup provided by work and only the ankle ones were worn.

Very similar to the Steitz boots I keep for the farm, low ankle and high leg, all with cusion inserts in the heels and a gore tex liner. Yup provided by work and only the ankle ones were worn.

I can't quite decide if work spoil me or am I simply taking the piss. When new boots are due, I show the boss the same pair of worn boots for years, wonder when he will catch on.

ugly

LE
I can't quite decide if work spoil me or am I simply taking the piss. When new boots are due, I show the boss the same pair of worn boots for years, wonder when he will catch on.
We used to have to buy our boots in BR then in the last two years they gave us two pairs a year. After that it was show me your old boots. Apparently everyone in the depot took the same pair in from under my locker. The storeman wasn't too bright!

ugly

LE
When I was a depot manager I used to tell the lads every week to check their PPE and put in orders for new, if a team leader was found with his team in dirty PPE I would give them a shit job. I really took the piss and had away loads of gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.