Another 'What Boots' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I've just dumped a pair of ancient Timberland gore tex lace ups. The anti fatigue insoles are great they'll go into another pair of boots. Size up get a pair of warm socks too.
There's more to timberland than the standard boot thing, well worth a look.

Going from everyone's posts above, most boots these days are fine in terms of waterproofing and (in my experience) the fit is down to the individual's feet. My Scarpa rangers are a nice leather boot and I'd happily recommend them.

I would buy from somewhere like Cotswold (other major retailers are available) because their returns policy is really good and I've never had any issues taking kit back. Even a pair of boots that I'd used almost every day for 6 months were exchanged without question when I pointed out they leaked and handed over the receipt.

I can just about understand multicam pattern uppers but multicam soles is a bit weird:
How will the Mountain Rescue team ever find you?

How will the Mountain Rescue team ever find you?
Well for a start I wouldn't wear the strange Bugsy boots. Second, even if I did I would try and avoid lying head first in a ditch ;)

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
I can just about understand multicam pattern uppers but multicam soles is a bit weird:
That is a bit strange, I agree.

But the reason I bought my (normal) boots there is because I've always had trouble finding boots in my size (6), but army boots are always available and they fit. It saves me having to go either to the women's or the children's department in shoe shops. Not the least reason being that those two categories are where shoe/boot manufacturers make the most money and, as such, are correspondingly expensive.

MsG

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you usually found at the bottom of a rainbow with a pot of gold?
I don't geddit. Any chance of an explanation? Is it something to do with Leapricaughns?

MsG

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Might be worth giving us some idea of what sort of thing he likes.

Obviously everyone is gonna have different tastes in style etc.

Traditional walking boot look?

Military style?

Modern?

High leg?

Ankle boot?

Full grain leather? (Can be polished)

Suede?

Synthetic?

Lightweight or hard wearing?

So, people, I have a boot-related dilemma.

Him indoors has a pair of very old, very polished, lovely boots that he has worn daily for about 12 years. They are now a little leaky and split at the back despite layers of Cherry Blossom and Kiwi. He doesn't complain but winter's coming on and he does need dry feet when walking the dog over hill and dale. I thought a nice new pair would be ideal for a Christmas present.

I understand that Boots NI, Boots DMS and Boots Combat High, all of which he has mentioned wearing in the past, are no longer available to purchase, and for walking a Labrador they are a tad OTT as he's too old now to be recalled for Military Service. I've looked at the various boot reviews here, as well as @Ravers' wonderful thread about Gore, but really have no idea what would suit, how to buy, whether they would swap if the size wasn't quite right, or how to make this idea actually turn into a beautifully wrapped gift on Christmas morning.

Any recommendations as to boots, retailers or other information, would be most welcome please and thank you.
I’d recommend lowa to anyone. They have a big enough range to cover any task style requirement.

Just sent my favourite pair off to get resoled, worth every penny

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m currently trialing a pair of Danner Mountain 600s. Very comfy, lightweight boots. Great every day boots and available in various colours / materials.

Recommended.

Danner - Mountain 600 4.5" Brown/Red

Full review coming soon.

As for sizing and whatnot. Any company will accept returns if they don’t fit. Just keep the receipt and box. Leave the tags on etc.
Love the boots but I can hear the comments about red laces!! Would have to buy spares!

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Might be worth giving us some idea of what sort of thing he likes.

Obviously everyone is gonna have different tastes in style etc.

Traditional walking boot look?

Military style?

Modern?

High leg?

Ankle boot?

Full grain leather? (Can be polished)

Suede?

Synthetic?

Lightweight or hard wearing?
Thank you. Polishable leather with ankle protection and inner waterproofing would be good. Will photograph the current pair when he's not looking.
Dog walks are in woods and fields with a bit of wear in town in bad weather. I wore them in the snow in NZ and they were light and comfy.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thank you. Polishable leather with ankle protection and inner waterproofing would be good. Will photograph the current pair when he's not looking.
Dog walks are in woods and fields with a bit of wear in town in bad weather. I wore them in the snow in NZ and they were light and comfy.
Scarpa Terra GTX worth a look. Really nice quality Italian leather. Lightweight, comfy but hard wearing.

My only criticism is that they look a bit Boy Scout.

ugly

LE
In retrospect it’s probably best to give him a fist full of dollars and drive him to a big boot retail place boots are very personal

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Apropos of laces: my tip for laces is to get hold of 3 mm polypropylene cord, which you can get in all colours. It's absolutely indestructible! All of my boots are black and I bought 50 metres in black for ten quid (inc P & P) about 12 years ago. The stuff has a breaking strain of about 160 kp, so you'll likely rip the uppers off your daisies before a lace snaps.

To prepare them for duty as laces after you've cut the cord to length, you can either partly melt the ends with a lighter and form them with your fingers into a pointy, stiff bit to pass through the eyelets, or you can do what I do; which is to squeeze about a 15 mm length of (any) adhesive onto the ends, thread on a corresponding length of 4 mm Teflon shrink-tube (available at any electrical components shop) and play a lighter over it for a few seconds. The shrink-tube bonds into the cord, it's job jobbed and I've got laces for life.

For demos and protests, I often replace my black laces with red ones. They were originally what's called "avalanche cord", a 20-metre length of which I originally purchased in Switzerland about 30 years ago. The cord had a crimped-on metal marker every metre (probably for ease of discovering the buried), but they were very easy to remove without any damage at all to the cord itself. I hope this was instructive/helpful

MsG

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Scarpa Terra GTX worth a look. Really nice quality Italian leather. Lightweight, comfy but hard wearing.

My only criticism is that they look a bit Boy Scout.
As opposed to these
20181022_184100_resized.jpg

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Status
Not open for further replies.