Another well researched Mail article

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by js374, Jan 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mail Linky

The point of interest is they credit a Royal Marines Wing Commander with organising the snow clearing operation. Rather suspect this seems to me. Maybe because it is Portsmouth they have put 2 and 2 together and made 5.

2. It says he works with the Royal Marines, NOT he is a Royal Marine.

3. Probably because if you re read the article it states:

"Wg Cdr O'Kennedy, who works with the Royal Marines"

4. Right... and your point is??

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I believe the original poster is referring to the caption on the last photo.

6. Good spot Ravers

7. I thought that other public authorities have recently been dismissing the "urban myth" about potential liability if you cleared a footpath.

8. Every street in the UK used to do this, until we became entirely dependent on the state. I've cleared my driveway and the footpath in front of my house, but the rest of my street seem content to panic-buy and barricade themselves inside until the council magic up the resources and fix it for them.

9. I suspect that for a lawsuit to have any chance of success, it must be proved that, by your actions, you've made the pavement more dangerous than it would otherwise have been. Thus if you were to attempt clear the snow by emptying a nice big bucket of hot water over it, you'd be liable for injuries sustained from the consequent ice rink, as in that instance you'd have behaved in a proveably negligent manner, and would've been a right c0ck to boot.

10. Pre fcuking cisely.

How typical of the British Public thses days to take the easy option and sit on their arrses blaming the council rather than getting out and boxing it off. The footpath and area where I park my car has been cleared since the day after the snow stopped. I haven't missed a minute of work and I've been out on the lash twice too.

People in The UK used to just get on with things. Now a pitiful little achievment like clearing ice off the street is likened to thousands of boat owners heading towards German occupied France in order to rescue stranded, surrounded soldiers during time of war. :roll:

11. Some years ago I owned a "Thermopure" window cleaning system mounted in a Movano van. We wanted to get up a steep hill which led to our office but the snowy/icy thing was making the road impossible. So we fired up the thermopure system, producing 1000 litres of hot water. I then used the hose to clear the road ahead of us, getting the van up the Avenue as if it were June!

Naturally it froze behind us, leaving it if anything worse than before. Cheers, easy.

12. Well spotted,i saw that as well chap ! DOH !!! :D

13. By God Sir! If I had known you were Trade I would NEVER have bought you that beer in Belgium :D

14. The comment by the septic made me chuckle, but the point made is correct.

Certain councils need a reality kick up the backside sometimes.