Another Walt Bites the Dust

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Country_Bumpkin, Jan 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Readers of the Infantry board will have noticed I recently outed a Walt: the 'only British soldier to be awarded the American Purple Heart', who sports a UN Cambodia medal issued about 20 years after he left the SAS!

Continuing this theme I may have another Walt to out. I'll word this carefully for legal reasons: he's the sort of Walt who'd defend his story in court just to spare his credibility:
    He likes to write into a local newspaper and uses the post-nominals 'TD', hence claims to hold the Efficiency Decoration (Territorial). We remember him as an ACF officer, not a particularly talented one, but nobody remembers him as a proper TA Officer full stop. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that he has been to some seedy, back street Walt-friendly engraver with a phoney TD to enhance his story. If we're all mistaken and someone remembers him as a long serving TA officer, I'll happily offer a retraction to this carefully worded speculation (I'm certain I'll not need to). I'll not name names - you can see his handy work and trademark signature yourself:

http://www.northumberlandtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1699&ArticleID=1205592
    http://www.northumberlandtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1699&ArticleID=1097359
    http://www.northumberlandtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1699&ArticleID=1204525&ArticlePage=2

2. Ah, the good fight continues. Good effort that man.

3. If the guy is a walt, he is employed by SSAFA. If you really want to push him, then why not contact the SSAFA with your concerns that he is representing them, and force him to prove his decorations?

4. Sir, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability. And I want you to know we are with you until victory.

5. msr

msr LE

How would you prove a TD? Do you get a certificate?

msr

6. I'm fairly sure the TD is Gazetted.

I don't think you get a certificate, but you do get a letter, the medal, a £ 500/ yr pension for life, use of staff cars at your discretion, the right to call a Bde Comd "mate" when in uniform and your own mug in the tea room.

I'm still waiting for the mug.

7. It has crossed my mind. Despite being a Walt he does a lot of work for SSAFA - It's not his Walt service with SSAFA that's the issue really - it's the fact that he's conning genuine members of the service.

Don't know how you'd prove TD - having the medal itself is not proof. Any Walt can buy one and die-hard Walts can even have them engraved. This fella would have a genuine officer's service number from his commissioned time with the ACF. I think you probably get a letter off the Defence Council or Secretary of State. It would also be in London Gazette, but I wouldn't even know which year to look at because it's too long ago to be on the net.

8. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

It would be published in the Gazette.

9. What's this got to do with the TA? Shouldn't this be in the naafi?

10. Is this a wahhhhhhh?

11. Sorry FluffyBunny - no wahhhh. Maybe I've posted on the wrong forum. I thought that one of you TA chaps/chapesses might be able to shed some light on whether this guy is genuine (although I don't think for one moment he is): it is the Territorial Decoration we're talking about here - not NAAFI certificate of merit!

12. Should he not be in the retired bit of the Army List, which shows decorations etc.?

13. Could be a member of the Irish Parliament (Teachta Dala) or perhaps not :?

14. Hi CB

The wahhhhh comment was, slightly tongue-in-cheek, for StabTiffy. I understand why a question about a TD would be best in the TA Forum.

As I mentioned (and so did MiB) above, try the London Gazette archive.

Kind regards

Fluffy

PS StabTiffy - was it a wahhhhh then? :)

15. Click here for the only entry in the archive that contains this chap...halfway down in the left hand column.