Another VC for Iraq?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by bigjarofwasps, Jun 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having served HQ 1 Mech Bde and knowing 4 Rifles pretty well, this selfless act of courage is par for the course for the Bn and I am in no doubt that a VC would be the only worthy award.

2. Cut n paste please chaps PRC firewall disallows BBC access

3. Sorry to hear that will do........

4. Cpl Rodney Wilson of A Company, 4th Battalion The Rifles, was killed trying to rescue a colleague under heavy fire.

Cpl Rodney Wilson was killed by small arms fire

His commanding officer said it was a "supremely selfless act".

Cpl Wilson, 30, had been taking part in a mission to detain insurgents in the Al Atiyah district, north west of Basra City on 7 June.

He was evacuated by helicopter to the field hospital at the British base in Basra Air Station but died from his injuries.

Tributes to 'selfless' UK soldier

Cpl Rodney Wilson was killed by small arms fire
    The 150th member of the British military to die in Iraq was carrying out a "supremely selfless act" when he was shot, his commanding officer said.
    Cpl Rodney Wilson, 30, from A Company, 4th Battalion The Rifles, was killed as he rescued a wounded colleague in heavy fire on Thursday.

His fiancee Michelle said: "I loved him deeply. I miss him. A huge part of my life has been taken away."

He died during a mission to detain insurgents, the MoD said.

Three other coalition troops were hurt in the operation in Basra's Al Atiyah area but none sustained life threatening injuries, the MoD added.

After being shot, Cpl Wilson, who was born in Germany, was flown by helicopter to the field hospital in the British base at Basra Air Station but died from his injuries at 0220 local time (2320 BST).

Weapons cache

The Rifles are operating in Iraq as part of 1st Mechanised Brigade and the operation resulted in the brigade uncovering the largest weapons cache it has found to date.

Five suspected insurgents were also detained.

Cpl Rodney Wilson was a natural leader, his officers said

Cpl Wilson, based at Bulford Camp, Wiltshire, served as a section commander in the Rifles and was awarded a distinction in the Platoon Sergeant's Battle Course - placing him in the top 2% of infantry soldiers.

He leaves a fiancee as well as his family, friends and dog Missy.

His commanding officer, Lt Col Patrick Sanders, described him as a "charismatic and inspiring" figure who led his men by example and gave up his life for a colleague.

Referring to the way Cpl Wilson died, he said: "It was a supremely selfless and brave act - he would not have thought twice - and he gave his life that one of his beloved riflemen might live.

"He had that rare gift of natural leadership that comes to only a few; clarity of thought, crisp and sure-footed decision-making, strength of purpose and a happy combination of a magnetic personality and absolute self-assurance that drew riflemen to him.

"Where Cpl Wilson led, others would always follow. He was, in the words of his own riflemen, 'a legend'."

'A free spirit'

He added that Cpl Wilson was also a "maverick" who loved to challenge convention and upset apple carts.

"One just had to admire him - he could charm the birds out of the trees, call black white, inflict a mischievous prank on you and have you agreeing with him and laughing all at the same time," he said.

"He was remarkable and truly unique - a free spirit - and we will all miss him terribly."

He was in every sense an impressive man

Maj Mark Wilson

Cpl Wilson's company commander, Maj Mark Wilson, described him as a joker who recently covered the inside of a colleague's helmet with shoe polish.

He was an avid rugby supporter, who loved Australia and planned to move there to join the Australian Army, he added.

"I knew Cpl Wilson, or Will as he was known to his friends, for four years and I can honestly say that he was the epitome of the thinking rifleman," he said.

"A deep-thinker, intelligent and, irritatingly, nearly always right; he was in every sense an impressive man."

He said as he had set off on the operation that would end his life, he had a look of "sheer excitement".

Cpl Wilson is the 150th member of the UK armed forces to die in Iraq since the 2003 invasion.

5. Interesting concept, and there is no doubt that this guy displayed great valour, in running out unheavy fire to save a wounded mate. The fact that he was thus killed, certianly brings a great deal of emphases on just how heavy the fire was. There have certainly been situations of late where MC have been awarded for such acts. However, there have also been situations in my opinion where MC`s have been won for less things to. A VC may in this case be applied for (if thats the right word), but I think that in all likley hood, it will not be awarded, maybe a CGC or GC. I certainly hope they give him something.

6. Why a GC? The GC isn't junior to the VC, its equal, and awarded for actions not in the face of the enemy.

I would say a posthumous MC for the action.

RIP.

7. I might be wrong, so dont hold this against me, but a GC can only be awarded for acts of bravery not under enemy fire. The GC is regarded as just as high as the VC, so he could not be awarded the GC, it can't happen...but as you rightly said, a posthumous CGC could.

Like I said, I might be wrong, but he does deserve some medal for what he did.

Peter

8. The MC can't be awared posthumously.

9. He sould get something, died saving a wounded colleage.

A GC is given not in the face of the enemy, CGC issued such as UN tours etc. He will probably be awarded a Post humous MC. Unlike the political correctness used for the last VC winner.

10. Politically correct in what way ? Because he was a Paratrooper ? Seems a bit of a strange reason in a political correctness kind of way. What about he had black hair ? is that what you mean ? Or where you talking about his wife ? Please explain further your comment

Also I never knew the CGC was a UN medal, well you live and learn, didn't realise 1 RHA were part of the UN when their lad won his CGC.

11. I agree unlikly to get a GC. MC can be awarded posthumously, as far as I`m aware. CGC is not a UN award, but can be won on UN tours.

"Unlike the political correctness used for the last VC winner", I assume you mean the Iraq award as apposed to the recent Afganistan one?

The more I think about it, the more I think he`ll get an MC, which seems a bit lame considering what they have been awarded for recently. I think a CGC would been a more worthy award, time will tell.

12. I doubt MC, if he lived then maybe but death normally enhances the write up

However as with everything in the army its all about the write up, I lend very little stock on newspapers boys own versions

13. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

sr.medic - please don't explain your "politically correct" comment further in this forum. This is not the place for it and this is certainly not the thread for it either.

14. spoter mode on:
    explain the award to Captain Hamilton of The Green Howards who was awarded a posthunous Military Cross for his actions during Op Corprate then ?