Another US shooting

BBC News - Deadly shootout near New York's Empire State Building

BBC reporting 7 shot outside Empire State building. With there appearing stories of mass/multiple shootings now appearing every week, can any of the US based arrsers explain if this will change the election at all? Will Obama push for greater gun control?

Thanks

PS; please can this not descend into a pro vs anti gun argument. There are plenty of threads for that.

Obama's version of gun control will only deprive law abiding Americans of their guns - it wont deprive the criminals and lunatics of theirs.
Yeah, I'm a member of the NRA!

BBC reporting 7 shot outside Empire State building. With there appearing stories of mass/multiple shootings now appearing every week, can any of the US based arrsers explain if this will change the election at all? Will Obama push for greater gun control?

Thanks

PS; please can this not descend into a pro vs anti gun argument. There are plenty of threads for that.
So why did you pose the question? Shoot - Obama can't be arrsed to keep illegal immigrants out of the USA, what makes you think any form of gun control will prevent criminals from obtaining guns?

Why is it yanks always say that I am jealous of them and wish I lived there when they have this sort of thing going on all the time and even need airport style security in their schools because students like to bring guns and knives to school?

Why is it yanks always say that I am jealous of them and wish I lived there when they have this sort of thing going on all the time and even need airport style security in their schools because students like to bring guns and knives to school?
Next time one does, try asking him yourself.

Thanks

Nutters will kill if their voices/desire leads them to it, WITH OR WITHOUT GUNS, Just see this case in Jersey :- Six people killed in Jersey knife attack | UK news | The Guardian

Is it not right though that the huge majority of these mass shootings are by people who have acquired their weapons legally. owning a handgun fair enough, but wtf would anyone need to be owning automatic rifles etc etc.

Criminals will always have weapons, they have them over here as well but tend to do their shooting against their own kind. It is a fact that we have next to no problem with crazies shooting up the place on the scale of the US and our gun laws must have something to do with it. Of course we get the shoorters but very rarely.

Quite often, after one nutter goes on a killing spree, you´ll have other copycat killers for a while, also looking for their 15 minutes of "fame" on the news. Then it dies down again until the the next nutter starts shooting again.
BTW, I´ve heard on another forum that the killer used a sawn-off shotgun, which is defintely an illegal weapon.

Duckie - to answer your question, no I'm certain he won't push for greater gun control.

It would cause him a political shitstorm with no possible improvement to his electability.

The numbers will simply rule that out, why piss so many people off?

The Yanks are overhelmingly in love with gun ownwership and there are plenty of people who want him as Pres but won't vote for him if he cracks down on gun control.

The why's and wherefores of it are irrelevant, he would be mad to upset the gun lovers.

Is it not right though that the huge majority of these mass shootings are by people who have acquired their weapons legally. owning a handgun fair enough, but wtf would anyone need to be owning automatic rifles etc etc.
New York City has some of the most draconian firearms legislation in the USA, didn't stop this did it.

The latest is: It was a disgruntled former employee who had been fired yesterday from a company located near the Empire State Building. Had nothing to do with the ESB or terrorism etc. Former employee went to his former company at 9:00 am and confronted some other employees. Ten people shot, two dead, including the shooter.

Mindset & message - "Guns = freedom"

For the less than mentally adroit that means freedom not to look at people with a different skin colour, freedom not to be controlled by the lizard people, freedom not to have their wife tupp some other bloke, freedom not to be called "fatty" etc, etc, etc.

The U.S.A. might be at the more liberal end of the scale globally in relation to firearms law, but they're not actually that permissive when viewed globally, it's the attitudes that are radically different.

The shooter is a white male named Jeffrey Johnson. He shot a 41-year old former co-worker in the head in front of where he formerly worked, walked up to a group of police officers and opened fire. Johnson was shot dead by the police. Media is speculating that some of the wounded were as a result of police gunfire. The entire incident took place outside on the street. Johnson used an eight shot .45 cal hand gun. There are 10 victims (one dead) as well as Johnson.

My personal thoughts are that Johnson killed the guy who fired him then opened fire on the police to 'commit suicide by cop.'

The shooter is a white male named Jeffrey Johnson. He shot a 41-year old former co-worker in the head in front of where he formerly worked, walked up to a group of police officers and opened fire. Johnson was shot dead by the police. Media is speculating that some of the wounded were as a result of police gunfire. The entire incident took place outside on the street. Johnson used an eight shot .45 cal hand gun. There are 10 victims (one dead) as well as Johnson.

My personal thoughts are that Johnson killed the guy who fired him then opened fire on the police to 'commit suicide by cop.'
The police statement earlier suggested that the police challenged him after a witness pointed him out as he was escaping with the weapon inside a bag. That was when he drew the weapon and opened fire on the officers who shot him and killed him.

Early days for accurate info yet but it does look he murdered his former boss/colleague and was trying to escape and then went all 'Butch and Sundance' when he realised the police had him.