Another UK soldier killed in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by polyglory, Aug 9, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

More awful news for another family in UK.

Standby for Bliar apologising to any Iraqis who may have been hurt. :evil:

2. I am not being morbid , but does anyone have any more on this unfortunate situation , the reason I am asking is my Batt has blokes on att to 1 cheshire, most of whom I consider as mates, inc Kingos
    my thoughts to his family
    RIP

3. This from the MOD:

"A British soldier was killed and several others were injured when UK vehicles came under fire in Basrah on the afternoon of 9 August. Their families are being informed and further details are being withheld until this process is complete.

The casualties were sustained in the course of a series of incidents involving insurgents within MND(SE)'s area of operation. Warrior armoured vehicles have been deployed to cover the damaged vehicles. Whilst the troops continue to maintain a non-escalatory posture, they will use appropriate force where necessary in self-defence."

We will all find out once the NOK have been informed.

4. It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence has to confirm that Private Lee Martin O'Callaghan was killed during an attack by insurgents in Basrah on 9 August 2004. He was aged 20, and came from London. Unmarried, he was serving with the 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment based at Tidworth.

from MOD

5. Terrible news (the worst).

Deepest sympathies to Private O'Callaghan's family and anyone else affected.

6. As above. Thoughts for his family.

7. Sympathies to the family and the soldiers colleagues.

But surely the need to deploy Warrier shows the futility of downgrading an armoured brigade to light (albeit by re-roling two brigades)

8. Deepest sympathies

9. Deepest condolences to the colleagues, family and friends of Lee Martin O'Callahan PWRR, KIA Basra 10/08/04

My thoughts also, with the other occupants of the Wolves involved , hoping they get better as soon as possible

PTP

10. Sincere condolencies to family friends and colleagues...

11. This was a PWRR coy on attachment. Very sad. Also several very badly injured following the ambush.

12. How many of our lads need to go down before BLiar retires that inane grin and claiming everything's hunkydory.

Funny how none of his kids or relatives are fightng on TELIC. That would be a different story.

PD

Lee Callaghan - rest in peace wee man.

13. his little chav is doing "work experience" for the sunday times for what it's worth - draw you own conclusions.

hear hear.

asn