Another UK soldier killed in Iraq

I am not being morbid , but does anyone have any more on this unfortunate situation , the reason I am asking is my Batt has blokes on att to 1 cheshire, most of whom I consider as mates, inc Kingos
my thoughts to his family
RIP

This from the MOD:

"A British soldier was killed and several others were injured when UK vehicles came under fire in Basrah on the afternoon of 9 August. Their families are being informed and further details are being withheld until this process is complete.

The casualties were sustained in the course of a series of incidents involving insurgents within MND(SE)'s area of operation. Warrior armoured vehicles have been deployed to cover the damaged vehicles. Whilst the troops continue to maintain a non-escalatory posture, they will use appropriate force where necessary in self-defence."

We will all find out once the NOK have been informed.

It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence has to confirm that Private Lee Martin O'Callaghan was killed during an attack by insurgents in Basrah on 9 August 2004. He was aged 20, and came from London. Unmarried, he was serving with the 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales' Royal Regiment based at Tidworth.

from MOD

Sympathies to the family and the soldiers colleagues.

But surely the need to deploy Warrier shows the futility of downgrading an armoured brigade to light (albeit by re-roling two brigades)

Deepest condolences to the colleagues, family and friends of Lee Martin O'Callahan PWRR, KIA Basra 10/08/04

My thoughts also, with the other occupants of the Wolves involved , hoping they get better as soon as possible

PTP

Sincere condolencies to family friends and colleagues...

black_taxi said:
I am not being morbid , but does anyone have any more on this unfortunate situation , the reason I am asking is my Batt has blokes on att to 1 cheshire, most of whom I consider as mates, inc Kingos
my thoughts to his family
RIP
This was a PWRR coy on attachment. Very sad. Also several very badly injured following the ambush.

How many of our lads need to go down before BLiar retires that inane grin and claiming everything's hunkydory.

Funny how none of his kids or relatives are fightng on TELIC. That would be a different story.

PD

Lee Callaghan - rest in peace wee man.

The sooner al sadr gets killed the better .He has been causing trouble on and off for nearly a year now . Or are we going back to an acceptable
level of violence so the occasional casualtiy is aceptable .
Wonder if Blair even cares ?
Rest in peace private our thoughts are with your friends and families
and the wounded

Wonder if Blair even cares ?
I'm sure he does, and I'm sure we'll see the Beloved Leader with his stock (*concerned expression, furrow brow , talk about how we are helping the Iraqi people*) reply.

Unfortunately, it doesn't play so well, when broadcast from larging it up at Berlusconi's Villa

RIP dude

Sympathies to friends and family

But surely the need to deploy Warrier shows the futility of downgrading an armoured brigade to light (albeit by re-roling two brigades)

Family should sue Hoon for sending their son out in a vehicle not fit for purpose. I bet he wouldn't cabby around Basra in a soft skinned rover (not if the lads were around anyway)

RIP Lee and get well soon to the other lads - and don't let the bastards put you on Manning Control.

This is a terrible and tragic loss, to his friends, family and colleagues and there is little that can be said that will ease the pain.

The limited protection provided by soft skinned vehicles must surely be questioned. Are Saxon APCs not in theatre? Not quite the Warrior (to say the least) but surely a compromise between protection and mobility.