Another triumphant week for HMRC

My it is going so well for their glorious ex MoD bean counter chief and his minions

First off accused of conducting a sham review and onwards to outright lies and wilful falsehoods about the All Party Parliamentary Group of MP's looking into the dull evil of their handling of the Loan Charge and passing of retrospective legislation which manages to remove rights of appeal and tries to cover for 20 years of HMRC incompetence in one go.

Loan charge review is a “sham”, say MPs

This is of course the same APPG that Mel Stride and HMRC failed to attend when invited.

Now on to even greater and better things:

Taxman kept quiet while £8bn fraud helped fund Osama bin Laden

Just as well that Knighthood is already in place.

Mustn't forget this gem either, which a man who knows about such things tells me has excellent potential to generate a far wider shitstorm

Senior HMRC official sacked after sexual misconduct claims | Civil service | The Guardian

Comments section in link below must be making some very itchy

HMRC Is Shite: Mark Nellthorp - The Silence Will Fall When The Question Is Asked

Last edited:
The loan charge affair has been rumbling on for years, ever since they first declared that the were intending to retrospectively change the legality of those loans

Not everyone in those schemes will be rich enough to afford to do this, even contractors earning less than 100k a year were getting enticed onto those schemes. I can remember so many newbie contractors being warned not to do it, but it fell on deaf ears when professional tax advisers were pushing them to use these legal schemes

Whatever you think of the morals of those tax avoidance schemes, it's one thing to push for legislation to make them illegal which would have allowed time for taxpayers to put their affairs in order

But to retrospectively make something illegal, it beggars belief how long this has taken to be a matter for concern, and to go back 20 years inevitably means bankrupting people who have no chance of paying the money back

The loan charge affair has been rumbling on for years, ever since they first declared that the were intending to retrospectively change the legality of those loans

Not everyone in those schemes will be rich enough to afford to do this, even contractors earning less than 100k a year were getting enticed onto those schemes. I can remember so many newbie contractors being warned not to do it, but it fell on deaf ears when professional tax advisers were pushing them to use these legal schemes

Whatever you think of the morals of those tax avoidance schemes, it's one thing to push for legislation to make them illegal which would have allowed time for taxpayers to put their affairs in order

But to retrospectively make something illegal, it beggars belief how long this has taken to be a matter for concern, and to go back 20 years inevitably means bankrupting people who have no chance of paying the money back
"Easy payment terms" are on offer, but only for the next five days!
HMRC issue briefing: disguised remuneration charge on loans

My it is going so well for their glorious ex MoD bean counter chief and his minions

First off accused of conducting a sham review and onwards to outright lies and wilful falsehoods about the All Party Parliamentary Group of MP's looking into the dull evil of their handling of the Loan Charge and passing of retrospective legislation which manages to remove rights of appeal and tries to cover for 20 years of HMRC incompetence in one go.

This is of course the same APPG that Mel Stride and HMRC failed to attend when invited.

Mustn't forget this gem either, which a man who knows about such things tells me has excellent potential to generate a far wider shitstorm

Senior HMRC official sacked after sexual misconduct claims | Civil service | The Guardian

HMRC Is Shite: Mark Nellthorp - The Silence Will Fall When The Question Is Asked
I`ve never understood why we allow foreign nationals to work in the civil service and the positions that could affect national security , utter madness...

"A network of British Asians based in London, Buckinghamshire, Birmingham, northwest England and Scotland mounted VAT and benefit frauds against the exchequer over two decades and made further gains from mortgage and credit card fraud targeting banks and individuals. The group netted an estimated £8bn in public money alone. "

I very nearly joined one of these schemes just over 5 years ago as a good friends was doing it and the possibility of keeping 85% of my earnings was pretty enticing.
I’m so happy that I chickened out though as there were rumour that HMRC would get the rules changed and also sting people for 7 years worth of tax which seemed underhand of them.

I know a good number of engineering contractors who joined "umbrella" organisations in the late 80s to mid-90s. Whilst some of them were legit and did a fair job, quite a few operated the "get paid in a never repayable loan" scheme. Consequently, HMRC are finding these little guys, mostly one-man personal service companies easy pickings especially as they can threaten all sorts of dire consequences for non=payment.

I was always suspicious of umbrella companies and stayed well clear in my contracting days and kept my own accounts straight.

That siad, HMRC are pretty much not fit for purpose. They spend ages hammering small companies whilst the Amazons, Philip Greens, and Google get away with billions of unpaid tax.

I have been aware of issues with alleged corruption in HMRC for some years. It's difficult to prove but also HMRC have a policy of NEVER admitting that they are wrong or that anything could possibly be wrong with their systems or calculations. As a dirrector of a SME, they are the most arrogant bunch of tw4ts you will ever come across.

Oh yeah, big time that loophole needed closing. It's not as if the little darlings in the upper quartile of earnings " I pay every that's due) didn't grasp , in fact it's why they did, ably defended by the tax regime implemented across the EU.

I have been aware of issues with alleged corruption in HMRC for some years. It's difficult to prove but also HMRC have a policy of NEVER admitting that they are wrong or that anything could possibly be wrong with their systems or calculations. As a dirrector of a SME, they are the most arrogant bunch of tw4ts you will ever come across.
That's because it was IR and CE was separate. Little whinging B's who jumped on the bandwagon in Piggott because we had more powers. They hated that. Also VAT was beyond their wit.

Even absent loan schemes all the IR35 stuff which has hit those working in the public sector already is a nightmare.

BBC forced people on to personal service company contract status on very abusive terms. End result they were joined in action by many who stuffed as a result and are having to cough up.

Certain Health Trusts and Local Authorities forced low paid staff off employee status on a Friday and if they signed the papers came back on Monday via a PSC arrangement run for them by a "provider", often offshore who have astoundingly since vanished

And if they didn't sign up, goodbye.

Many didn't understand, just wanted to keep earning.

Nobody now wants to talk about the small matter of low paid health workers being bankrupted by HMRC.

I know a good number of engineering contractors who joined "umbrella" organisations in the late 80s to mid-90s. Whilst some of them were legit and did a fair job, quite a few operated the "get paid in a never repayable loan" scheme. Consequently, HMRC are finding these little guys, mostly one-man personal service companies easy pickings especially as they can threaten all sorts of dire consequences for non=payment.

I was always suspicious of umbrella companies and stayed well clear in my contracting days and kept my own accounts straight.

That siad, HMRC are pretty much not fit for purpose. They spend ages hammering small companies whilst the Amazons, Philip Greens, and Google get away with billions of unpaid tax.

I’m a self employed contractor. I have very very little real stress in my life these days. The one thing I do worry about from time to time? That those utter utter cretinous fcukwits at HMRC will make me their next pet project. I have paid out for audit insurance. How fcuking ridiculous is it when you have to insure yourself against the perceived threat from a state entity.

The worst thing with HMRC re contractors is even if you kept to the straight and narrow they still had you in their sights as an easy target, and partly it seemed the politics of envy, you wonder how many are closet Common Purpose marxists

They've constantly pushed the Treasury for legislation against contractors, to try and force us into PAYE employment, and like you say whilst doing their best to ignore the multinationals and in some cases acting beyond authority and giving them special deals to avoid tax

Never mind the moral bankruptcy of claiming that contractors are employees, whilst at the same time hitting them for employers NI contributions. And where they are found inside IR35 denying them employment rights because in our Kafkaesque world you can be an employee for tax purposes but self employed for employment rights

Oh yeah, big time that loophole needed closing. It's not as if the little darlings in the upper quartile of earnings " I pay every that's due) didn't grasp , in fact it's why they did, ably defended by the tax regime implemented across the EU.
Don't fall for the disinformation being spread by HMT and HMRC. Yes there were high earners on abusive schemes but a lot more ordinary types simply following best advice from others and practice of their engaging clients, whilst HMlRC looked on and did nothing for a very long time.

In the richest of ironies, one of the reasons HMRC system are so far behind and they have been forced into the clutches of big (expensive) managed IT services providers is because Contractors unsurprisingly bailed on them and a lot of people will now not work for them on any terms

HMRC Is Shite: HMRC Goes To War Against Its Own Contractors

Last year one of their flagship projects invited bidders for the tender. Not a single expression of interest, let alone a bidder.

Even the mainstream providers are now pissed off with their ever moving goalposts and nonsensical demands.

Went off in a huff and announced "Fine, we will just build it ourselves then!"

How we laughed

Last edited:

He sounds like a member of the funny handshake brigade to me.

I`ve never understood why we allow foreign nationals to work in the civil service and the positions that could affect national security , utter madness...

"A network of British Asians based in London, Buckinghamshire, Birmingham, northwest England and Scotland mounted VAT and benefit frauds against the exchequer over two decades and made further gains from mortgage and credit card fraud targeting banks and individuals. The group netted an estimated £8bn in public money alone. "
This one won't go away.

It's behind the Times paywall but rereported in classic Daily Mail fashion here:

Gangsters with links to the 7/7 London bombings stole £8billion from British taxpayers | Daily Mail Online

Happy to crush corner shops, publicans and contractors.

Sod all in "difficult and complex cases