Another small data loss by a Government Department ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Border_Reiver, Jun 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just seen this ..... linky ... and note it has yet to be confirmed but .... Hackers 'steal entire 2011 census' - Telegraph ... if true someone hopefully will be asked to leave their job ... doubt it of course ... and I have read of HMRC proposing more changes their systems so everyone can easily view their own Tax details ... hope it is not structured so anyone can view everyone's Tax details ... many a true word said in jest .
  2. If its true there is a huge scandal about to break, after the most intrusive census ever, where assurances about the data were made publically. I believe Lockheed Martin are responsible for the security of the data.
  3. msr

msr LE

4. Still glad I didn't fill one in. The fact that every major newspaper in the country thought it believable is frightening in itself.
  5. Not really, we're just used to our government fcuking up royally everytime they ahve to handle anything.
  6. We're also used to our Dailies not bothering their arrse to check their facts for themselves rather than cutting and pasting off the news wires or internet.
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

A hoax this time. I have long operated on the basis that all data on me and all key-strokes can come back to haunt me. Because they can have all the spooky Lockheed Martin protocols they want. It only takes Kev in admin / despatch to say "Nah. Cant be arsed with all that. Its me dinner in 10 minutes. I'll just stick it on an optical and courier it". As HMRC discovered in '07.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Well as the OP I am …

1 Pleased to observe I specifically stated the report had yet to be confirmed .

2 Relieved to read the report is not correct .

3 As with smartascarrots a little more concerned about the skills of newspaper reporters .

Every day is a learning day .
  9. You expect the red top rags to "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"! Looks like the broadsheets have joined them!
  10. It's probably been nicked by the Mormons, for some reason they used to look at old census records and enroll the dead into their church without reference to the families. Perhaps they've now moved on to the living.
  11. Although a hoax, it's frightening. We all know these muppets couldn't secure a piggy bank. What's even more scary is that this information was required under the threat of meanaces.

I found it very strange also that during a period of difficulties for UK companies, this contract was given to a US firm. Could BT (or similar) have not administered this?
  12. maybe we should go back to hugh cabinets full of paper records, can't see one of them being stolen.......Officers are searching for two masked men with****ed backs!!!
  13. Hugh getting the credit again? Last time I let him use a cabinet he royally****ed it up. ;-)
  14. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

It gets murkier…

An early day motion from Labour MP Roger Godsiff… (my bold)

That this House notes with concern reports of the involvement of Lockheed Martin, a major US arms manufacturer, in gathering information for the 2011 Census; questions whether a company with the closest of commercial links to the US Department of Defense and involved in surveillance and data processing for a number of US administration agencies, including the Central Intelligence Agency and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, should have been allowed to tender for this contract and given the ultimate responsibility for processing this personal and sensitive national data about the UK’s population; further notes that the Office for National Statistics claims that data will be safe even though all US companies are subject to the Patriot Act which allows the US administration to access any data in a company’s possession; further notes the recent abysmal record of the Government in safeguarding personal data from a number of key departments; and calls on the Government to make public what safeguards are in place and to make a categorical assertion that this data, when it undergoes analysis, will not be passed through any US administration and non-administration databases now or at any stage in the future.
  15. The Patriot Act was one of the reasons I refused to complete my form. It was a very easy was to provide the US Government with all of the information that they wanted. The public crow about their personal information being stored by Airlines when travelling across the Atlantic and Europe, if they understood the magnitude of the stunt the Labour Party pulled off with the Census, there would be murder........ wait, actually they'd just carry on watching Jeremy Kyle.