Another running question

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Soozi, Sep 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I've been reading these pages for a while now, and had a quick search but to no avail.

What sort of distance to you tend to run on basic? I currently train around 3 miles, and I know this is nowhere near enough, I'm after a benchmark of where to increase to.

Any ideas appreciated - cheers!
  2. Around six miles running at the most.
  3. Blimey that was quick! Cheers - any idea what sort of time? And I'm guessing that would be up hill and down dale!!!!??
  4. Steady state run. 7 - 8 min miles. Shorter runs tend to be quicker.

Note: I am not including Log runs or runs with weight.
  5. Ok thats great - I've got the pace, just need to extend it now!!! Got a while though so no real drama.
  6. Theyll build you up to it anyway. Most will join just having trained to run the 1.5 miles so theyll have to increase mileage as they go along. Don't worry about it too much.
  7. Thats good to know - at least I'll have done enough preparation! I do worry that I'm gonna be the least fit person there, but I guess not!
  8. Dont overtrain and burn yourself out. As Bossdog says, they'll build you up.
  9. Training fo three miles is ok but you will eventually get good at running thee miles only. You need to change the way you run from time to time, for example, if you are running on the streets, warm up by jogging steady for 10 mins then run at near best effort between lamp posts. Sprint two lamp post and jog two and repeat for 10 mins then jog for 10 mins to cool down.

Do the above twice a week for two weeks then sprint three and jog one. By doing this type of speed work you will increase your muscular endurance and recovery time.

Do not get too hung up on how far you should be runing, concentrate on how long you run for, if you can jog at a steady pace for 50 - 60 mins and do speed work twice a week, you should find endurance work and PFT's a doddle.
  10. Ok, all that sounds sensible and straight forward enough! I must admit , the thought of going for time, rather than distance, appeals to me greatly. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?!

Cheers for the advice Detonator - but at the moment I seem to have got in a bit of a rut running the same distance (and same route), so the chance of burn out is slim - my body is telling me I'm not pushing any more. So I think the variety mentioned above should help!
  11. If you are in a rut running the same route, run it the other way round for a change, it is amazing how little changes can make a difference.

Also if you run to music, on you ipod or whatever you use, create a playlist with some gentle, chilled tunes for the first ten minutes. Next ten minutes put some banging tunes, for the next ten minutes with chilled sounds. Switch off to the world outside, listen to the music and increase your pace to the sound of the music and slow down when it does.

Try it, it works for me when I am training for marathons :D