Another round of MOD cutbacks is imminent - who would you choose to get the bullet?

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
We have been here before in the 90’s with “Options for change” where the military was cut to fit a budget rather than sized for its commitments. That was an utter disaster and clearly nothing has been learnt. Given that both labour and the Torres during this GE campaign are chucking spending promises about like snuff at a funeral surely they could find some to adequately fund the military.

Beachdaze2

Clanker
What about the 20000 extra we’ve been promised?
Given the less than brilliant levels of retention of our middle-years (i.e., experienced) colleagues, an extra 20,000 will have little impact.

Besides, one of the better personal traits that Cops generally have is a healthy dose of cynicism. I’m surprised you think 20k pairs of new feet will be hitting the streets anytime soon - especially as it’s already been acknowledged that figure includes a significant number already accounted for in current recruitment numbers. Shame on you!

Slight Thread Drift but something that has got my goat over the last couple of months is the misunderstanding about NATO, funding and the magical 2% of GDP to be spent on defence.

It seems to be the received wisdom that NATO members ('allies') should pay in 2% (or more) in to NATO, to pay for defence. WRONG

Countries do pay in to NATO to fund the headquarters, the civilian staff (when not a national contribution), outreach, administration and towards some of the common capabilities. On NATO exercises, costs lay where they fall - ie the UK element pays its logistics costs, etc. On large multinational exercises, some countries try to slither out without paying - I've certainly seen cash or cards demanded from some countries before fuel is issued.

The 2% GDP refers to what countries should spend internally on Defence (equipment, consumables, pay, infrastructure etc). That also includes costs for civil servants, contractors and pensions; in the latter case, if the MOD didn't fund pensions, SP would walk/run to the door.

Robme

LE
You believe and spread nonsense like this and expect to be given some kind of credibility?

What 'Bod' did you meet, a ship's chef?
As I said an ex-ranker who served in the Falklands. I.e. a non-officer, useful with a map.
Makes sense to me, 1st they were guards, who takes mess silver to a war zone, somebody of incredibly low intelligence if you ask me. 2nd, Likewise, who moves ships ‘2ft’ from land during the day.
Don’t take it personally this guy was there unlike you, who failed to clear LMF on your first day in basic.

Nato123

On ROPS
On ROPs
As I said an ex-ranker who served in the Falklands. I.e. a non-officer, useful with a map.
Makes sense to me, 1st they were guards, who takes mess silver to a war zone, somebody of incredibly low intelligence if you ask me. 2nd, Likewise, who moves ships ‘2ft’ from land during the day.
Don’t take it personally this guy was there unlike you, who failed to clear LMF on your first day in basic.

Yep, Chefs were there, Mess stewards were there, along with several of my friends..... and you want to believe any old shite about it and qualiffy it because 'it makes sense to you' ha ha ... but, at least I can see why you're so far ahead in the SPOTY threads

I suspect someone else has thought of it. This manning shortage, as an incentive all those made redundant. Allow them to keep their redundancy, but offer them a signing on bounty as an incentive.
It certainly would cut down on basic training, only fitness to worry about.

This is also why there should be an other ranks union. If the government insist that service personnel are merely employees just like any other employee, then service personnel should be able to insist on employee rights, which includes union representation during discipline.

Soldiers national Armed forces Union Or SNAFU. Tried it back in 79, The brass had a massive sense of failure experience, they didn't get the joke.

Edit:- Memory jog, my mistake it was 81.

Nobody's getting the bullet. We can't afford any.

Robme

LE
Yep, Chefs were there, Mess stewards were there, along with several of my friends..... and you want to believe any old shite about it and qualiffy it because 'it makes sense to you' ha ha ... but, at least I can see why you're so far ahead in the SPOTY threads
IMHO, it takes a lot of hard work, and determination to succeed in this REMF LMF rich environment. I beleave my contributions obtained after 17years regular service, are based on a watchers viewpoint and reflective of the various muppets who make up the B/A. Bring to the fore that this life’s experiences tends to bring out the best and indeed worst in people. You obviously are a seriously deluded low IQ nobody, who,if you did serve (thou I doubt it) locks onto a particular regiment and walts as though you too have to protect the honour of whatever Regiment you have decided to become a Walt for? However, rest easy el-Lazy, you know you can let those of us who did the walk as well as talk the talk, inform you of what life was really about. And I can assure you that even if my Veteran contact was the worst time served slop jockey, who never saw the outside of the Cookhouse (see what I did their), he would know more about Guards moronic traditions than you would ever beleave.
if I had said that the Guards on the Galahad had signalled the Argies to come and bomb them (which I am absolutely positive they didn’t give a moments consideration, given that intellectual capacity is well outside a Guards officers capability) then, take it from me little LMFer I would have more veracity about the subject in my little finger than your whole miserable existence.
Now wibble away, and make sure you have voted for me in the SPOTY Awards?

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
There has been a lot written about the Welsh Guards at Fitzroy, including criticism for not disembarking when they could have done so. I've not heard the mess silver conspiracy theory before, though.
However, Sir Galahad and Sir Tristram were NOT hit at night and their attackers were NOT Pucaras, so I think your breakfast veteran informant may have had a sausage too many.
The Board of Inquiry report can be found as a PDF file here.

Hippohunter

Old-Salt
Since the end of WWII the percentage of actual fighting troops what I call bayonet troops has diminished considerably. Even in a 650 man infantry battalion your actual bayonet troops is less than 400. At the end of WWII it stood at 14% of the army. It is now less than 10% due to the increase in tech and support elements. You can have all the fancy drones etc all you like but until one of your troops is actually standing in his boots on that ground with rifle and bayonet in hand you own **** all.

Latest Threads